S&S 88"or 100" engine pro's and con's ? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Evolution Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

427sbc wants to know Dino or Syn?
S&S 88"or 100" engine pro's and con's ?

Hello everyone, we are going to be purchasing a 88 or 100" S&S complete motor for my Pop's 88 soft tail springer. I would think the 100" would be the better choice for extra torque. Unfortunately, the current motor in the bike is toast, as well as cracked cases(89 inch sidewinder stroker which ripped). So, a complete S&S motor is now going in. Suggestions from anybody with experience with these motor choices would be awesome.. thanks ahead of time.
Cometic .030 head gaskets
SE-57 cam
SE easy chromoly push rods
SE 10MM plug wires
SE clutch
S&S roller rockers
S&S tappets
S&S reed breather
Mikuni HSR42
Acell adjustable single fire ignition/high output coil
SE/K&N air filter
Thunderheader
Pingel High flow petcock
427sbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

60195 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have run them both. The 100" is 4" x 4" and needed higher rpm to get my old heritage moving. The 88" is 3 5/8" bore x 4 1/4" stroke and seemed to make torque earlier.

I never had either motor on the dyno, but the longer stroke of the 88" was definately noticable by the butt-o-meter.

Both motors were fun.
60195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

rcsoftail wants to know Dino or Syn?
Why not go bigger? They have a 111 that bolts right into your frame. Claims to have lots of torque and less vibration, which would be nice for that solid mount. Maybe a 124, but is pricey. Do you care about being epa certified? I didn't see an 88 inch option on their web site. I wish I had a 124 in my old softail, but cases kept me at 106. http://www.sscycle.com/product/cart....detail&p=21080
rcsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

kennyflhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427sbc View Post
Hello everyone, we are going to be purchasing a 88 or 100" S&S complete motor for my Pop's 88 soft tail springer. I would think the 100" would be the better choice for extra torque. Unfortunately, the current motor in the bike is toast, as well as cracked cases(89 inch sidewinder stroker which ripped). So, a complete S&S motor is now going in. Suggestions from anybody with experience with these motor choices would be awesome.. thanks ahead of time.
How much of the internals are still good on the 89 incher? Crank?
Old 12-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

the s&s sidewinder flywheels, pinion shaft, rod, rod bearings, sprocket shaft, are all good, thats about it....
SE-57 cam
SE 10MM plug wires
SE clutch
S&S roller rockers
S&S tappets
S&S reed breather
Mikuni HSR42
SE/K&N air filter
Thunderheader
Pingel High flow petcock
427sbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

60195 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you still have the old crank or a similar evo crank, you could swap out the stroker crank for an oem unit and send the whole mess back to harley to be remanufactured. From the sounds of it you will get back an entirely new engine. Then with the new engine, it is a simple set of new pistons for your stroker crank and bam, you have a brand new 89" stroker for less than $2,500 and some work.
60195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Can only speak for 93" Shovel I beat on for 10 yrs and a 124" Sidewinder have owned since 02,you will never find a better powerplant.Good Luck
Whizzer motorbike
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

davesnider wants to know Dino or Syn?
88 incher runs great!!

I have the 88 in my bike and it runs great. I have never riden a bike with the 100 in it though.With some porting and the right cam this thing rips.
davesnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

feguy1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have run the 88 in my fxr. Great motor. I am going to put that motor in my project fxr soon. Very reliable, lots of fun.
feguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

heretic wants to know Dino or Syn?
something to consider with the big S&S mills......they are still using shovelhead style shafts and bearings.....Sure it keeps pricing down, and less surface area means less friction, so quicker RPMs, but that also shortens longevity.....The smaller engines are great, but I would never go above 113 for my own use....and even then my little sister hung the rods for hers through the bottom of her cases. basically what I am saying is that they are bar hopper engines

new Ultima has decent bottom ends, only because they contract parts from Jims (old ones were junk). TP is good, but cammed to light for their potential. Jims has great products, but their heads really need porting and polishing right from the factory, and their cam profiles are a little weak in the knees. Merch is the way to go for big power right out of a crate.....

I ride a 129 custom build daily....not so good on gas, but when set up right they can be a lot of fun.....I use the jims bottom end, and it balances better then the 95 inch HD engine that came out of the bike

Last edited by heretic; 02-04-2011 at 01:50 PM.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
build it

Knighty-Knight wants to know Dino or Syn?
Heretic,
Could you expand on the above post? I didn't know Merch was still in business?, That is the first time I've heard that S&S had a lesser bottom end compared to a JIMs, Ultima, and TP Engineering, I've heard that they are equally as good but never better.

I know the bearings on the big end of the rod from S&S used to use 21rollers, but have consequently decreased the number of rollers to 19. Is that what you were talking about?

I know the SA cases can handle double timkens on both sides of the crank, not sure about the ULtima, TP, or Jims units though, despite them being stout pieces.
Knighty-Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

heretic wants to know Dino or Syn?
not only are there fewer rollers, but narrower surface area as well..... if I was going to use an S&S bottom end for a big incher, I would be getting ahold of the guys at RB racing....They have better bearings available or the S&S mills.......I will admit that narrower surface area, and fewer rollers will nt hurt most of the buyers of those big inch engines. These will mostly be in bar hoppers or hot rods, that are torn down regularly.....they will not see the miles that a lot of stock bikes will see......but for me, I want to know that I can take my hot rod cross country, if I want. I want to know that mine will not scar the bottom end if I am caught in traffic

I am not really sure what merch is doing. I had heard that they were through, but I have seen quite a few of their engines available lately....I have to think something is going on there, if engines are available
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The 124" S&S motors have proven themselves time and time again regularly achieveing the 100k mark.No worries whatsoever in the lower ends of these motors,provided they are regularly maintained and not beat to an early death.
Whizzer motorbike
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Larbaldi wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60195 View Post
If you still have the old crank or a similar evo crank, you could swap out the stroker crank for an oem unit and send the whole mess back to harley to be remanufactured. From the sounds of it you will get back an entirely new engine. Then with the new engine, it is a simple set of new pistons for your stroker crank and bam, you have a brand new 89" stroker for less than $2,500 and some work.
Can't used cracked cases for a core with the exchange program.
1979 FXEF STROKER ( BLACK, OF COURSE ! )
BUSHTEC QUANTUM TRAILER ( BLACK, OF COURSE ! )
AMA MEMBER / ABATE MEMBER
Larbaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

Good info , thanks for all the input...
Looks like its a set of Ultima cases, and the best HD crank builder in SLC is rebuilding/balancing the sidewinder crank and bottom end for my old man... SO it will be a ripper and better than before since this was never correctly balanced and trued by the previous builder..
SE-57 cam
SE 10MM plug wires
SE clutch
S&S roller rockers
S&S tappets
S&S reed breather
Mikuni HSR42
SE/K&N air filter
Thunderheader