S&S super E shorty jet advice please.... : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Evolution Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Doctorshred wants to know Dino or Syn?
S&S super E shorty jet advice please....

Hey can I get some advice on what S&S Super E shorty jets to start with for a stock evo? (1984 fxr) I pulled this info off of the S&S site, and they are saying to start somewhere between these sizes.

intermediate jet big twin .028 to .031
Main jet big twins .066 to .074

Anyone have an idea on what jets work best to start with before I go out, and have to buy these and start from scratch? I got this carb used by the way, and he said that he messed with the jet sizes all I know. I have been waitin to pull this thing open, and see what all is in it, but I want to get everything together, and all of the info so I don't have any down time before I do.
Thanks .....

P.S. S&S has a few options on jet packages that I found when doing my research.
Here are the links if you are interested.

Low range jet kit
http://www.sscycle.com/product/cart....detail&p=19791

High range jet kit
http://www.sscycle.com/product/cart....detail&p=19792

Master jet kit
http://www.sscycle.com/product/cart....detail&p=19793

Last edited by Doctorshred; 06-21-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Doctorshred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

DBChoppers wants to know Dino or Syn?
Start out with a .028 intermediate and a .070 main if your bike is close to stock.

Diamond Bar Choppers
(909) 861-8833
DBChoppers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Have you ever tuned a carb? Don't worry about the main until you get real close with the intermediate since it will carry you all the way into the 4000rpm range.You want the throttle response crispy,if it sneezes through the carb too lean,feels sluggish off idle too rich.S&S has a good paper that will walk you through the process.Good Luck
Whizzer motorbike
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Otto wants to know Dino or Syn?
inthe chago area depending on exhaust o295ls 74-76main and drill or change the air bleed to a 47-50 40 is standard
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 12:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Doctorshred wants to know Dino or Syn?
UPDATE......
So I went out, and ordered the S&S Low range jet kit (was about 38 bucks at my local Harley dealer) and after I received it I pulled the carb off the bike. Turns out that they had a .072 main, and a .031 intermediate in the thing. Well after a few tries it ended up running best with a .072 main, and a .0295 intermediate. Just going down one size on my intermediate jet solved the low idle problem.

The thing runs like a champ now, and it idles perfect with that smaller intermediate jet.
I am still wondering from what I have read that when the jets are right the idle mixture screw is supposed to end up around 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 out from lightly seated.
Well I am out about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 turns now is that ok, or is my intermediate still off a bit? Any adjustment within 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 turns out (like s&s recommends) makes the bike cough, but clears up, and runs great at 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 turns out.
So from what S&S is saying I am still too lean in my intermediate? :/
It runs dam good now, and just cause this screw is out an extra turn will that effect me in the long run, or am I cool to run like this.

Even when I was running the .031 intermediate, and it wouldn't idle for crap I still had to have the thing at 2 1/2 turns out to run right at the sweet spot like it is now.
I am not seeing a S&S part number for a .030 intermediate jet they skip that size for some reason so my .0295 is the best I can do unless you guys know some tricks here to try, cause I know that the next size is definitely too big.

Thanks for any advice first time carb tuning here.

Last edited by Doctorshred; 06-21-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Doctorshred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 05:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Make sure your idle speed is low enough to make the idle mixture screw adjustment affective.It all works together.One of my bikes needed to have an intermediate jet drilled to get the correct size.
Whizzer motorbike
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

DBChoppers wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check for a vacuum leak at the intake manifold.

Diamond Bar Choppers
(909) 861-8833
DBChoppers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

big jon wants to know Dino or Syn?
i agree with DB chops it sound as if you have a intake air leak, manifold is favorite i have a 96" s&s with a super E carb jetted with .0295 inter, 74 main, 1 1/4 turns on idle,
big jon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.