Screamin Eagle EVO CYLINDER HEADS : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Evolution Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

make72 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Screamin Eagle EVO CYLINDER HEADS

I have KB 10.5 pistons, does those heads fit, or do i have to take some stuff from pistons...?
make72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

BaggerJockey wants to know Dino or Syn?
The SE heads are advertised as making 9.5:1 with stock type 8.5:1 pistons, and will be too much with the 10.5:1 KBs better to spend the money on head work if you already have the pistons in your engine.

Those pistons must be installed per manufacturer specifications because cast and forged expand and contract at different rates.

Last edited by BaggerJockey; 04-13-2010 at 03:29 PM.
BaggerJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

60195 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Those pistond will not work with those heads. It has NOTHING to do with compression ratios and everything to do with chamber shape and piston dome.

The KB pistons have a shape that fits into the stock 'D' shaped evo chamber while the SE heads have a bathtub chamber.

To use the SE Evo heads you need either a flat top piston or a piston desighned for a bathtub shaped chamber.
60195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have ordered heads allready have to take some stuff from pistons and make them just same weight, think it be fine.....
Old 04-14-2010, 06:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

weight is not the issue. The crank can be rebalanced.

The issue is the shape of the heads. The SE evo head has a bathtub shaped opening. The stock head has a D shaped opening.

Look at the rivera/Primo website. Find the Arias pistons for STD/Branch heads. That is what the piston for a SE evo head looks like.

Those KB pistons are going to take allot of work to make them work.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

BaggerJockey wants to know Dino or Syn?
ECONNOR you beat me to the chamber design issue I was looking around the web when you posted, seeing what other issues I could come up with, shoulda waited and got the info first. Not familiar with the KBs just know my indie don't like em. Says he's had a few come apart.

[QUOTE][/QUOTEI have ordered heads allready have to take some stuff from pistons and make them just same weight, think it be fine.....]

New pistons to work with the chamber shape might e the better option as the pistons and area a specific weight to balance with the crank assembly, thus when you remove material you change piston weight and the assemblies balance

Last edited by BaggerJockey; 04-14-2010 at 07:32 AM.
BaggerJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Harleys rev under 7000rpm do you think that might work...and what about material KB hyper.... is it difficult to job?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

make72, you re missing the point. This has NOTHING to do with material type or anything else. It is as simple as the square peg (piston) will NOT fit into the round hole (head).

They are not the same shape. Do some research on your own. Find a picture of a evo Se head combustion chamber, then find a picture of a KB HC piston for an evo. Look at the shape of the rise off the top of the piston. It is D shaped. Then look at the SE head, bathtub shaped.

These parts WILL NOT WORK TOGETHER!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ofcourse i understand that, but if i change the shape, those piston are quite new, have drive them about 1000mile, put them last summer. if i change them i have to work cylinder also....äääh
Old 04-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

The pistons might be able to be machined into a flat top, but why? The compression would be lower than you have now. The pistons will have to come out of the cylinders so at a minimum you are looking at new rings and a cylinder hone. And for what? Lower compression and an unbalanced engine?
Old 04-15-2010, 12:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Not flat top, but if i machine the shape only there where it must, so piston can fit in new heads, this is quite expensive hobby ,,,,, for me anyway....

Last edited by make72; 04-15-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

RattFXR wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well since nobody will say it I will. You have lost your mind, just put the right pistons in there. That is what everyone is trying to tell you, and your not listening. If you want to send bike breaking vibrations through out your machine then go for it. Your going to spend hours milling pistons (I hope you would use a lathe), just to spend money on new rings, hone and gaskets. Just spend the 200 bucks on new pistons/rings, and KNOW the job is right.
RattFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

Ok. I belive that . What pistons would work best for these heads?
Old 04-17-2010, 02:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

davesnider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wiseco makes forged pistons that are specific to those heads. Screamin eagle also has pistons but you will pay more for the name.
davesnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

98 FLHX wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesnider View Post
Wiseco makes forged pistons that are specific to those heads. Screamin eagle also has pistons but you will pay more for the name.
Absolutely correct, Dave. I have a set of them in my 80"
Very nice forged pistons.....
Mine are 10.5:1 with the SE heads. The dome shape matches the
cylinder head. Very nice upgrade from the KB hypers I had before.

Put the correct pistons in it and be done with it......

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

10:1 JE Pistons
Heads by GMR Performance
Ness Big Sucker
Mikuni HSR 42
V-Thunder 3040 Cam
Dyna 2000 Ignition
Thunderheader

Last edited by 98 FLHX; 04-17-2010 at 08:34 AM.
98 FLHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement