127" Ultima Motor Problem : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Evolution Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

tmwmoose wants to know Dino or Syn?
127" Ultima Motor Problem

I had a 127 ultima dropped of today thats in a nice custom build new motor and is shuting down when hot will start back up but just for a second then off again . Motor has to cool down to run again . Customer says motor runs extremly hot. He has replaced the ignition , coil , key switch,ran battery strait to coil, checked batt conections. He has also left the gas cap loose and reroute the fuel line. he says he has electrics when it happens and asumes the ignition is still on. Will be looking at it in next few days myself sounds like he's covered the electrics its the heat thing I'm wondering about and whats its doing to the mikuni maybe . Any Ultima owners out there that have experineced this ?
tmwmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moneygreen

arealinvestor wants to know where he is and how he got here
That doesn't sound good!!! Are you an Indy??

2010 Ultra Classic Hot Rod Built & Tuned by JD's
BB & Baisley Hybrid Heads with man/Comp releases
Axtell Pistons & Cylinders set with high comp,Big CCP
Darkhorse Stroker Crank,balanced,plugged & welded
Woods A/C kit & Lifters
T-Man gear crank set
High Flow HPI Inj & BB TBW Throttle body
D&D Boarzilla (perforated baffle)
Lenale cooling fan
Jagg 10 row oil cooler
K&P engineering oil filter
To much more to list!!!!!!
arealinvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Try taking off the ignition cover and see if it helps. Especially it the motors running really hot, the heat can kill electronic quick. If it works, tune it, and space the cover out a bit.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Otto wants to know Dino or Syn?
sounds like it would be fuel related if the electrics are good stuck float plugged needle seat ect unless it's hanging valve ect but that would be noisey
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Will-Run wants to know Dino or Syn?
Please suffer a dumb question , what is an Indy? exactly?.
Thanks.
Will-Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Moneygreen

arealinvestor wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will-Run View Post
Please suffer a dumb question , what is an Indy? exactly?.
Thanks.
A private Harley Mechanic/Technician that usually works for himself & not a dealer!!!!

2010 Ultra Classic Hot Rod Built & Tuned by JD's
BB & Baisley Hybrid Heads with man/Comp releases
Axtell Pistons & Cylinders set with high comp,Big CCP
Darkhorse Stroker Crank,balanced,plugged & welded
Woods A/C kit & Lifters
T-Man gear crank set
High Flow HPI Inj & BB TBW Throttle body
D&D Boarzilla (perforated baffle)
Lenale cooling fan
Jagg 10 row oil cooler
K&P engineering oil filter
To much more to list!!!!!!
arealinvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Yes I'm a indy ,thanks for the tips guys I'll be running blowers and fans while getting the motor hot don't have all day to ride these senerio's if ya know what I mean and get stranded as well. I plan on running my test neon sparkplug wires to moniter spark but I'm guessing more toward fuel again appreciate the help will update!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

pwmorris wants to know Dino or Syn?
Is he running a Cannister or any other type of EPA emmisions eqpt? -possible vapor lock as a bike runs a while and the bike shuts off. I saw it on a Buell and another custom...after I pulled the set up off it was good to go.

What type of bike is it in-is it a custom build-many custom builds have wires, etc, routed near hot points on the motor-as heat builds-shorts out.

Where exactly is the coil/ignition mounted-plenty of cool air around them-plenty of clearance next to the motor?

Sure it is just when hot and not just after he has been riding a while? In that case I am thinking sediment in the petcock screen causing fuel starvation-bike rides awhile, and debris from tank obstructs fuel flow thru petcock. Bike shuts off, debris settles, and re-starts again, then after a while shuts off again.

Carb-How exactly is the fuel line mounted from tank to carb-running away from motor? Between the cylinders? Using a sleeve to keep heat from fuel?
pwmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

gsxrboy96 wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCHOP View Post
Try taking off the ignition cover and see if it helps. Especially it the motors running really hot, the heat can kill electronic quick. If it works, tune it, and space the cover out a bit.
Try this, this sounds like your problem.
gsxrboy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thread Ender

Pikeslayer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Confirm that the fuel tank is vented. Will it run with cap off?
Hobanized Crank, Axtell 117" cylinders, CP flat tops, 10.6:1 CR, Woods TW8, R&R cast heads, R&R roller rockers, HPI 51mm T/B, 4.9 g/s SE injectors, D&D Fat Cat 2into1 QB, Rivera Pro Clutch, Evo Industries 49T, Tuned by Big Boyz
Pikeslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Totenkopf wants to know Dino or Syn?
Based on the description and if the ignition module is staying on during the event, I agree with Otto and Paul, it's a fuel delivery issue. Otto has been running a 127 for 2 years in a custom bike, if the AFR is correct and the Mik is setup correctly for all the transitions, they don't run any hotter than a normal motor. And it sure is a fun motor!

One thing to be aware of, Otto has noticed over the last couple of years that the oil pump they were shipping with the motor for a while is a clone of a Jims iirc, Ultima unfortunately even cloned the flaws in that design. When he sells these motors to a customer, he checks and corrects the oil pump as necessary to make sure they work correctly. He's had other 127's come in for repair that folks had bought and installed and didn't know about the pump issue. This is where internet shopping/buying will bite you in the azz every time if you don't have experience.

Totenkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

SnailTraX wants to know Dino or Syn?
What flaws

Are the flaws still there? Is this still a concern? Can you describe them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Based on the description and if the ignition module is staying on during the event, I agree with Otto and Paul, it's a fuel delivery issue. Otto has been running a 127 for 2 years in a custom bike, if the AFR is correct and the Mik is setup correctly for all the transitions, they don't run any hotter than a normal motor. And it sure is a fun motor!

One thing to be aware of, Otto has noticed over the last couple of years that the oil pump they were shipping with the motor for a while is a clone of a Jims iirc, Ultima unfortunately even "cloned the flaws in that design." When he sells these motors to a customer, he checks and corrects the oil pump as necessary to make sure they work correctly. He's had other 127's come in for repair that folks had bought and installed and didn't know about the pump issue. This is where internet shopping/buying will bite you in the azz every time if you don't have experience.
SnailTraX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

rob71458 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Vapor lock, Fuel boiling in the bowl?
rob71458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Antonio Pendejo wants to know where he is and how he got here
Start the motor and while it is still cold put a heat gun to the pickup in the cone.
AP
Antonio Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

127" Ultima Motor Problem found!!

Finaly got to the bike today checked timing first and then got it running .It never got hot like the customer said but I understand him here in Fl @ 95 degree's hot sun yeah it feels hot . Well oil is circulating and pressure is good so here I am locked inside rainning good outside all I can do is rev and idle with the blowers out front this bike is way to long for the dyno. I got to thinking about the get hot and shut off deal and thought this sounds like a charging problem maybe with a damn good battery. Out comes the meter and wow almost 18 volts jeez whats with that well I got it to shut off after 45min of playing and then put a new regulator in place and it would run with out shutting off did this back and forth to make sure and walla fixed called dyna tech (2000i) and they said there unit would shut down @15v well whatever turned out to be a good rainy day after all thanks guy's for the help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement