anyone perfomance/ reliability on the fatso : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Evolution Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 06:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Breeze_tsmc wants to know Dino or Syn?
anyone perfomance/ reliability on the fatso

Ok, I have learned after purchasing my 91 evo that I bought one of the weak case years. (I should have read before I bought but that wouldn't be my luck) I broke the pinnon shaft and will have to rebuild. I bought the s&s 89 stroker kit to leave the stock bore BUT now I am told that the race on the pinnon side is loose and needs to be replaced aswell. All of this I learned was an issue from most of you, (Thanks!)

My new question is I see that ultima makes a fatso case and I have my wifes old 88 twinkee cylinders and heads. I see a fatso case going on ebay for about 500.00,,,,,does anyone know someone who has put some hard miles on this combo motor?

My motor is already apart and the s&s 89 kit is in the shop so if there is a better mouse trap out there now is the time for me to pull the trigger.

Thanks
Breeze_tsmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

60195 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I often ride with a guy that has a Fatvo in his FXR. He used the case from Sputhe. Heads were worked over by Baisley, hot cams, all the right parts. He beats on it constantly around town, and rides it cross country. I have never heard him say one bad thing about his Fatvo.
60195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
OUCH! That hurt

wfolarry wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had one in my bike for 5 years. Never had a problem. Have it on the bench now. Put the original motor back in to do some 'hoppin' up' work on the Fatso. Or sell it. Can't make up my mind. Reliability doesn't suffer. Mine has the Sputhe cases. The heads needed the intake pushrod holes welded & relocated. Pushrod tubes need trimming to fit right. That's about it. I don't know how the Ultima is set up. Sputhe cases use stock flywheels.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

hightop wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm not sure you'll be able to find a piston with the right compression height to use the 89" wheels in a fatvo, (designed for 4.25" stroke stock wheels,89" is 4.625" stroke) may want to research that before pulling the trigger on the cases.
hightop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

hightop wants to know Dino or Syn?
Would result in a 109" motor with the 95" bore though, be pretty interesting. The other thing to keep in mind though is you'd need a 3.875 piston with an evo wrist pin bore (.792")
hightop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

blackjackcustms wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am building a 100" stock stroke motor with ultima 3.875" piston. They needed the domes cut off ( easy ) and then they sat about .080" lower in the bore. I had my machinist cut down the cyl.s, and he chewed up the liner on one of them ( gdamn), so now he's going to resleeve. I am tempted to use a different set of cyl.s I have, and a set of 4 3/8" flywheels to cover the diff.

Anyway, my point is, the Ultima 100" pistons are the correct bore, and the correct pin bore as well. They have a dome to match Ultima heads, and have a slightly lower deck hieght. Perhaps with thicker base gaskets, and the lower deck, you could get them to work @ 4 5/8"?
blackjackcustms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
OUCH! That hurt

wfolarry wants to know Dino or Syn?
I also have a set of Jim's rods in mine that use the TC pin. You can use TC pistons & maybe find a piston that will work.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

blackjackcustms wants to know Dino or Syn?
TC pin bore in the rods would be MUCH better. You can use any TC piston you want, that way.

I'm just cheap, and trying to use what I got.
blackjackcustms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

harleytec wants to know Dino or Syn?
Case replacement with the best!

If you are considering case replacement, you may want to look at DELKRON. They are the best cases you can buy and have been in the business a long time. You know if you go with a fatso case you will need a .250 longer pinion shaft? Because of the bigger bore. DELKRON also has complete short blocks with flywheels already installed. Been running their set-up for years with a 95" TC top end (=100 CI) and love it!
harleytec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

beuch70 wants to know Dino or Syn?
i have a 89 in in my 90 fxrs.runs strong tho low and mid end,flats out on top end,had stock cases and they cracked on the oir return passage and im installin s&s big bore cases.got it apart and found that the heads where never touched,so there in the shop havin the opened up,biger valves,c c them.the shop thats doin the work said that the heads will give me the top end back,when it was dyno it only had 77 horse and 87 tq.hope it will be in the mid 90s when back together
beuch70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

FlyingGasCan wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm thinking of building a Fatso motor right now and I'm looking at various combos. My bud used to work for Jerry Merch and has a lot of experience building this motor style. I may buy a Delkron block and build a 120" with R&R or Baisley heads. A couple friends have Fatso motors in their bikes and they work great with no issues.
FlyingGasCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
You certainly have plenty of info now to work with.Your next decision is too get whatever combo you pick assembled correctly,then get it tuned.Have fun and Good Luck
Whizzer motorbike
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Hillside wants to know Dino or Syn?
Use your crank, bore the cases, contact Axtell sales and get a 4 1/8" cylinder kit and get it to 124", and be done with it.
Scott
Hillside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackcustms View Post
I am building a 100" stock stroke motor with ultima 3.875" piston. They needed the domes cut off ( easy ) and then they sat about .080" lower in the bore. I had my machinist cut down the cyl.s, and he chewed up the liner on one of them ( gdamn), so now he's going to resleeve. I am tempted to use a different set of cyl.s I have, and a set of 4 3/8" flywheels to cover the diff.

Anyway, my point is, the Ultima 100" pistons are the correct bore, and the correct pin bore as well. They have a dome to match Ultima heads, and have a slightly lower deck hieght. Perhaps with thicker base gaskets, and the lower deck, you could get them to work @ 4 5/8"?
rethink the sleeving or you will be sorry. my $.02

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #15 (permalink)

harleytec wants to know Dino or Syn?
lots of options

There are a lot of options out there, but if you go to delkron's website you can see that they offer more than anyone for the fatso set-up. They even have a service to relocate your pushrod holes. I'm not sure about the other guys, but at least delkron is made in America...............
harleytec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement