EVO Cam Recommendation : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Evolution Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

camaro1327 wants to know Dino or Syn?
EVO Cam Recommendation

Hello All,
I am new to the site so bear with me. I unknowing purchased a project bike last year (I didn't expect it to be a project). I have been working on the motor since january and nearly have it complete. For the motor: I have a 93 or 94 evo stroker bored .10 with 10:1 pistons. I have had the heads ported and polished, put high tension springs in and increased the intake valve to a 1.94in. I currently have a andrews 46 cam with solid lifters and I get a lot of bucking going through town. I don't do any racing but the occasional (very rare) race a buddy down the road so I am not looking for something to max out all the horsepower.
I have talked to three different shops and two cam manufactures and have had 5 different answers on what is the recommended cam for this setup. I am looking for something to give me strong torque in the low to mid range without sacrificing general cruising comfort. I have been looking at the andrews 27 and hq0029 cams, but can't get a clear answer. Could you provide me with any clues, information, specs, recommendations on what cam would be a good fit.
camaro1327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

1997bagger wants to know Dino or Syn?
Welcome to the forum, you are going to get possible 6 more different answers.

I have a 10-1 cr 89" and your intake closings will be a key to look for (detonation) you should look for 40-42 intake closing or later with your comp and if you have bigger springs you can take advantage of larger lifts. I run a DME 581 that works for my application of good low power, smooth and can go long if needed.

Woods W6H fits your description and an engine builder guru will on here shortly to back up it's background with some proven numbers, it will need some attention on setting it up to proper clearances.
1997bagger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

rcsoftail wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had an 88" stroked evo with 10.5:1 that I initially use a powerhouse viper 565+ in. It worked really great in the mid and upper ranges and ok in the low end. I switched to a R&R 560, which has a lower lift on the exhaust. The way it was explained to me was that the lower lift on the exhaust kept a littl more pressure in the cylinders, which improves the torque on the lower end. The end result was great low and mid range and ok top end. Kurryakin also makes a similar cam with less lift on the exhaust. Have to admit, the viper 565+ was more fun racing around town, but the other cam fit my needs better...

Can your spings support a high lift cam? The ev27 seems a little small and the intake closes too soon for a stroker. I would use something with more lift and longer duration to fill those larger cyclinders so your top end doesn't totally suck.

Selecting a cam is like buying a pair of shoes. There are a lot of choices for a lot of different applications. Finding one that fits just right without compromises is difficult.
rcsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes...I have stronger springs which I am told they will handle up to a 650 lift. From my understanding the intake opening and closing degrees determine where your power curve will be and the duration will determine where I will see the most torque. The lower the degree, the sooner the power curve will come in and the shorter the duration, the lower the peak torque to rpm will occur. And the lift is how much pressure I will be putting in the cylinder. Is this correct?? I did a compression test with the setup right now and I have 185 on the front cylinder and 180 on the back.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

kennyflhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 98 evo with 89" stroker,S&S replacement heads & a HSR 42 carb. I just went to the S&S 585 cam & I love it. Check out the specks on thier site.
kennyflhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

badfl wants to know Dino or Syn?
we`ve had great results with a S&S .561 cam with comp ratio`s from 10.0-1 to 11.0-1 (1340)
80-85 hp,with great rideability
badfl
badfl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

1997bagger wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yep, pretty sure 6 more opinons but all the numbers point to a lift in the 580 range. The EV27 is a great cam but have to agree, not for a stroker.
The S&S 585 has had some great reviews and supposed to have a mean idle, I believe it is standard in the S&S 96's now?

Cam numbers in my non scientific world is early intake closing is a compression builder (EV27) you are in the ballpark on the duration numbers and higher numbers also need compresson to work, lift fills the cylinders. I hope one of the engine builders surface to simply explain cam secrets.

Example: I had a VT5005 first with 569 lift, 236 duration and intake closing of 38, power was in short bursts and kinda violant but needed a pusher vehicle above 4500, battled some detonation on hot days with a big bike and donut eating rider. Went with DME and power moved up in rpms but became more broader in the rpm range. Sacraficed some bottom end but saved starters and broken ring gears, that is why I mentioned the compresson building importance and detonation became managable

Good luck and the V-Thunder cam supporters havn't showed yet. Overall, everyone is putting you in a direction, just compare the numbers of what is listed.

This might help
http://www.nightrider.com/cgi-bin/ff...?ff_config.txt
just hit search when it info pops up

Last edited by 1997bagger; 07-14-2009 at 10:45 PM.
1997bagger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

rcsoftail wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1327 View Post
Yes...I have stronger springs which I am told they will handle up to a 650 lift. From my understanding the intake opening and closing degrees determine where your power curve will be and the duration will determine where I will see the most torque. The lower the degree, the sooner the power curve will come in and the shorter the duration, the lower the peak torque to rpm will occur. And the lift is how much pressure I will be putting in the cylinder. Is this correct?? I did a compression test with the setup right now and I have 185 on the front cylinder and 180 on the back.
I think in gereral in you have the right idea. Keep in mind that in a stroker the pistons are moving faster and that the air flow has momentum, but the air flow's momentum will lag more due to the faster moving pistons. If the intake closes to soon while the air still has momentum, you will be loosing some of the benefit of the air momentum packing the cylinder with extra pressure. Essentially a stroker can have a little later cam timing than a non-stroker, which is why I don't think an ev27 is the best choice for a stroker. I think the ev27 in your case will deliver great low end torque, but will suffer in the other ranges. As some others have mentioned, check out the s&s 561 and 585. Both have decent lift and early enough intake closing to give you some good low end torque, while still delivering good mid and highs. Your 10:1 ratio probably isn't high enough to go with a real late intake closing and still have good low end torque. If your focus is more on the low end torque, I would lean toward the s&s 561 and give a little on the upper end.

My 88" stroker is now a 106" with 10.5:1 compression and a s&s 600 cam. This cam is working great with my setup accross the entire rpm range.
rcsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 06:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Hillside wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would suggest a Wood 8, and set your compression at 10.8.
That 89"(?) will pull like a John Deere on the bottom, and keep rolling right out the back door, as long as the heads are up to it.
You bud's will think you increased the engine size.
Scott
Hillside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

TheNowhereman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Red Shift.......period.
TheNowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

tomv wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
I would suggest a Wood 8, and set your compression at 10.8.
That 89"(?) will pull like a John Deere on the bottom, and keep rolling right out the back door, as long as the heads are up to it.
You bud's will think you increased the engine size.
Scott
i get emails every day telling me i can increase my size...

its all fun and games till someone gets hurt...then its one of americas funniest hime videos...
tomv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Hillside wants to know Dino or Syn?
..........the blue pills won't work in the oil tank.
Scott
Hillside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I am leaning toward the S&S 561 because of the sooner intake closing. I do wish one of the cam guru's could provide some insight on each of the numbers and how much the variations differ. Meaning if one cam closes 5 degrees later, how much of an impact does that have and the different durations. Also for 97bagger, I have been through a few ring gears and starters. I finally settled on an all balls 1.4kwh starter because they stand behind their product and the 66 tooth ring gear to stop breaking all the gears. I have been happy since I changed to that combination. Before when the motor would start on the compression stroke I would hear that awful sound of shredded teeth. I still get a strong kickback on the start, but everything is holding up and the compression releases are icing on the cake.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
OUCH! That hurt

wfolarry wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1327 View Post
Thanks for the info. I am leaning toward the S&S 561 because of the sooner intake closing. I do wish one of the cam guru's could provide some insight on each of the numbers and how much the variations differ. Meaning if one cam closes 5 degrees later, how much of an impact does that have and the different durations. Also for 97bagger, I have been through a few ring gears and starters. I finally settled on an all balls 1.4kwh starter because they stand behind their product and the 66 tooth ring gear to stop breaking all the gears. I have been happy since I changed to that combination. Before when the motor would start on the compression stroke I would hear that awful sound of shredded teeth. I still get a strong kickback on the start, but everything is holding up and the compression releases are icing on the cake.
Pick a different cam. There are better cams than the 561.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

DBChoppers wants to know Dino or Syn?
We are big on S&S here but the .561 is a big mistake in a bagger. Take a look at the Crane 286-2 and 296-2 cams, a much better choice.

Diamond Bar Choppers
(909) 861-8833
DBChoppers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.