V-Twin Forum banner

Rotella 15-40 in Harley engines

140K views 89 replies 44 participants last post by  georgedouglas 
#1 ·
Hello fellow forum members....I posted this same question on the HDForums and would like to get y'alls opinion too. I've read that this oil has the same high temp film strength as 20-50 oil does, so with that in mind and the fact that it seems to be used by many metric riders whose oil also lubes the trannny with good results due to it's high shear strength, I wanted to hear from Harley riders who have used this oil and what their results were, especially in the warmer months. It would seem that this oil would be excellent for use in our big twins (mine's an evo) especially since there are no gears to shear it down. No need for a synthetic vs dino debate as I have used Amsoil for a few years with no complaint...'cept the price...doing once a year changes, but was thinking that this oil would be good for at least 2,500 miles and that more frequent changes with it may be just as well overall ??? So, tell it like it is......

#76 ·
I have an '83 Suzuki GS1100GK. It specs 10w-40, but I use rotella or Delo 15w-40 always. Temps regularly see 250+ and add that with high RPM's and shared tranny, it hasn't blown up yet (89K). I think if that engine can handle all that on 15w-40, The HD could do it with ease as well.

#78 ·
Let me add my two cents here too. I switched from Redline to Rotella and found that engine noise decreased. Primary noise also decreased, but at the same time I added Rotella there, I adjusted the primary chain. So not sure it was only the Rotella. I added Rotella gear oil to the transmission, and it made a world of difference - quieter shifts, neutral easy to find. So, I'll stay with Rotella.

#79 · (Edited)
I put in rottella 15w40 today,engine only, looking back over my records I have run Valvoline mc20/50,castrol20/50gtx,hd360 20/50 ,hd synthetic 20/50,mobil1 15/50.
I guess I am not to loyal to one brand.I always plan to leave the oil in there for 5000 miles, in reality i usually change it between 2500 and 3500 miles,no real reason to ,just get the urge.The oil pressure was normal ,and the motor was maybe a little quieter on the top end.I'm thinking since I change so often I will stick with rottella,at least for the winter.

#80 ·
I've used Mobil 1 V twin, HD360, Syn3 and Rotella in mine. I think the best combo for this enviroment is HD360 in the summer and Rotella in the winter. We have at most a month or two where the temps are over 80, the rest of the summer is 60's & 70's. Winter is for the most part 45 and raining. The 15w40 seems to work well in that while the 20w50 handles the heat in the summer.

I'm just coming up on 20k miles on this bike so I'll change to 15w40 Rotella in the engine, Formula+ in the transmission and primary, change out the sparkplugs, swish the aircleaner around in a pan of gas, couple of shots of grease in the steering head and be good to go..

:woohoo:

#81 ·
Soundslike a good team!

Sounds good.
I´m expecting my Fuchs Agrifarm Truck Mot 15W-40 tomorrow, still going with syn in the gearbox; Fuchs Titan Speed 75W-90, putting the Agrifarm (love that name;-)), in the crankcase and primary, it´s an API SL/CI-4 spec.
The climate you have in WA, seems similar to here in Germany, maybe I´ll get by with the Agrifarm year round, but if the summer does get real hot, or I ride down to Spain again, Fuchs do several 20W-50´s too. But I think a 40 weight is fine in the TC, if we´re not ridin´ thru the desert..

Cheers!
mike

#86 ·
Your question about zinc, most diesel oils carry a high level of zinc and phosphorous. These additives are the anti-wear ingredients used in most oils are were forced to be lowered by the EPA. Diesel oils did not reduce them though and most good motorcycle specific oils are high in them. The Amsoil diesel oils are among the highest in the industry along with their motorcycle oils. Now the question though is it necessary for a HD engine. May be not but bikers normally want the most protection available even if it comes down to overkill.
george

#89 ·
Rotella

Hello all. Been reading threads for years and have not posted much but this rotella has really got my mind churning. I have ran rotella in many other engines i have as far as older jeep, mowers, etc. Basic engines basically. I have owned a few harleys the past 10 yrs and have tried many diff oils like most other people. I have an 08 street glide and am currently running amsoil. I like others sure seem to notice alot of clatter which after reading about every post in this forum doesnt mean its a bad thing but just seems to get my attention. Im just curious if there is any new info on this topic since the last post was a few years ago? Im not really loyal to any brands so not pointing fingers. Just curious. I can probably get by with any good oil as unfortunately i only put about 1500 miles a year on. Sad to say i know. I change oil every year just because it gives me a fun project to do. Comments? Thanks all!

#90 ·
Hello all. Been reading threads for years and have not posted much but this rotella has really got my mind churning. I have ran rotella in many other engines i have as far as older jeep, mowers, etc. Basic engines basically. I have owned a few harleys the past 10 yrs and have tried many diff oils like most other people. I have an 08 street glide and am currently running amsoil. I like others sure seem to notice alot of clatter which after reading about every post in this forum doesnt mean its a bad thing but just seems to get my attention. Im just curious if there is any new info on this topic since the last post was a few years ago? Im not really loyal to any brands so not pointing fingers. Just curious. I can probably get by with any good oil as unfortunately i only put about 1500 miles a year on. Sad to say i know. I change oil every year just because it gives me a fun project to do. Comments? Thanks all!
If you want to try a diesel oil and would still like to use an Amsoil synthetic product, then try one of our diesel oils and keep in mind that those oils are priced about 30% less than our motorcycle oils are.
george

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.