Marvel Mystery Oil : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2006, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Herm wants to know Dino or Syn?
Marvel Mystery Oil

A Harley mechanic recently told me he puts some Marvel Mystery Oil in his gas tank at every fill up. He has the same bike as I do-1988 FLHS Electra Glide. He said this protects the bike against the reformulated higher octane ethanol-added gasoline we get in the Milwaukee area. Has anyone had good or bad experience with this practice?
Herm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2006, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

GrayRider is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Been using it in a lot of different applications for nearly 30 years. I don't add it to my gas that often though.
GrayRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE

Lady Godiva wants to know Dino or Syn?
We use the stuff in the bikes and cars, oil and gas. Heard good things about it from an ACTUAL ROCKET SCIENTIST on the VTF!
(and I have 43 points on the top of my head)

VTF Photo Album Link: http://www.v-twinforum.com/gallery/s...page=12&sort=3
Lady Godiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
EASY DOES IT

swmnkdinthervr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've used it in all manner of infernal combustion engines in the oil and gas both...and now use it to improve mileage and pump lubrication in my Cummins diesel...good for whatever ails ya! Sure this stuff ain't snake oil???

My pics

'04 Springer Softtail, 98" Nikasil
swmnkdinthervr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

TalonChief wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmnkdinthervr
Sure this stuff ain't snake oil???
I looked up the MSDS once and it said the mystery is Stoddard solvent.
Scratched Tour-pak
Additional parts that contribute to a smile

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life." --Theodore Roosevelt
TalonChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Acquisitions

dynageno is reading this now saying WTF is this?
use a capful with every other fill up on my bike and two capfuls in the shovel!
Old 10-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Flatline wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdundr
I looked up the MSDS once and it said the mystery is Stoddard solvent.
Marvel Myster Oil is a solvent and had it's place in the fifties or sixties. It basically strips out sludge and deposits out and cleans the engines. Without getting into detail, it's unneeded on the more efficient engine designs of the past 20 years. Other simular brands/type use kerosene, naphthalene, xylene, acetone and isopropanol.

To each their own. If it works for you or believe it works for you, then who I'm I to say.
Flatline
Old 10-10-2006, 04:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don't Harley engines have an old design? Wouldn't that mean that it has old problems and that they need an old solution?

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Flatline wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66paul
Don't Harley engines have an old design? Wouldn't that mean that it has old problems and that they need an old solution?
Crap! You got me on that one! I don't even have a good come back on that one! Ok, I would use Marvel in all three holes inlcuding the gas tank. Who knows, you could have the cleanest running Harley around.
Flatline
Old 10-10-2006, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Harleys Nothing Compares

2006FLSTNI wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hi I am an Aircraft Technician Jets mostly Transport Category BIG ONES

MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) Is GREAT Stuff -- As a matter of fact It is one of the only products produced for the Automotive Industry that got Accepted and Approved by the F.A.A. and NTSB to be used in Reciprocating Air Cooled Aircraft Engines. ( In Leamans Terms Piston Engines) It is also sold under a different name By Ford Motor Company (FOMOCO) as Top Cylinder Cleaner.

What this stuff actually does is burns the carbon off the Combustion Chamber, Valve Train. Pistons, and is a wonderful Hyd. Lifter Cleaner. It will also CLEAN YOUR INJECTOR NOZZLES. It also cleans the oil passages in your engine if used in the crankcase. Back in the days of carburated car engines I would pour a whole quart down the throat of an idleing car -- SMOK LIKE HELL but it would actually quiet the valve train and improve performance after 25 miles of driveing after the smoke cleared of course. I would alos put a Quart in the Gas Tank and A Quart in the crankcase. IF THERE WAS ANYTHING THAT CAME CLOSE TO "TUNE UP IN A CAN" This is it. When added to the crankcase you should change your oil and filter 1000 miles later. You dont want the loose carbon, and sludge to be in there too long.

I highly recommend this stuff, GREAT PRODUCT I have been useing it for 20 or so years and when ever i get that this engine isn't running like it should and the Tune Up didn't help -- I break out the MMO and after 25 to 50 Miles it just seem to pur like NEW

Peace
Dan

2006FLSTNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Harleys Nothing Compares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatline
Marvel Myster Oil is a solvent and had it's place in the fifties or sixties. It basically strips out sludge and deposits out and cleans the engines. Without getting into detail, it's unneeded on the more efficient engine designs of the past 20 years. Other simular brands/type use kerosene, naphthalene, xylene, acetone and isopropanol.

To each their own. If it works for you or believe it works for you, then who I'm I to say.
Flatline
You Are WRONG -- Solvent?? Are you NUTS!!! Dude I would love to see you put NAPTHA or Acetone in your engine -- Can I be there when you do -- I love to see ENGINES BLOW UP IN A FIREY MESS Pistons flying, Heads 10 feet in the air. Hell I would pay you 20 buck to put it on thats incredible

It BURNS THE CARBON OFF THE PISTONS VALVES AND COMBUSTION CHAMBER. Among other things -- See Post Above.

Actually, No one has been able to reproduce this stuff. It has YES Distilled KEROSENE/MINERAL SPIRITS and some form of DISTILLED NAPTHA. So does every other refined Petrolium product known to man. No other ingredients are released. It is a PETROLIUM PRODUCT NOT A SOLVENT and it does wonders to Sick running engines by BURNING THE CARBON DEPOSITS OFF THEM.

Peace
Dan

Last edited by 2006FLSTNI; 10-10-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

SYCLONE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sounds great!....So for reduced warranty expense...why dont GM , Ford,Honda,Toyota,Mercedes,Porsche...etc.. know about this stuff. ?

Ya. those Mercedes and Porsche engineers are mostly inept anyway.

My neighbor spread newspapers all over his lawn..I asked him what the hell he was doing! Said.."it keeps the elephants away" I said there isnt one for thousands of miles!!! he said "see"

'08 Night Rod Special,
Tab exhaust,topless,Dobeck Fueler

Coast "wailea" hot tub
2 3hp pumps, 50 sq.ft. filter
42 trillium jets, LED lighting
420 gallons...seats 6
SYCLONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Harleys Nothing Compares

If you read my post FORD DOES and Sell it under "TOP CYLINDER CLEANER"

Old 10-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Mtclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
okay for those who use MMO has anyone actually tasted it to see if it tastes as good as it smells....I wish Homer Simpson were my neighbor he would taste it. Last year my Father in-law got ahold of a 1974 ford van with something like 13,000 miles. It sat forever without being run. the valves were sticking and clattering and I dumped a bottle of mmo in the oil and in the gas and after a short period it sounded like normal, but the carb began leaking like a sieve..
Mtclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

TalonChief wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006FLSTNI
You Are WRONG -- Solvent??

Dan
Seriously, as I posted up above (#5) I looked up the MSDS and the main ingredient is Stoddard solvent.
Scratched Tour-pak
Additional parts that contribute to a smile

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life." --Theodore Roosevelt
TalonChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement