Marvel Mystery Oil - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #31 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

georgedouglas wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy
I would disagree with you on these reasons as it pertains to my engine. I believe it's the oil mist being put back into the intake. Isn't that oil in the mixture going to leave carbon behind? Just the fact that oil is now part of the mixture reduces the octain of said gas.

By the way, when I pulled the engine down it was VERY clean everywhere except the pistons and head chambers.
You are correct. when I made that statement and the original post I was thinking in general terms concerning using a clean up product for things like noisey lifters and stuck rings. When people add MMO and ATF like products to an engine of any type in the wrong ratios you will get soft carbon on top of the piston for sure. It is almost like running a 2 cycle engine and not getting a clean burn due to to much oil in the mix. If oil mist is being re-introduced in the combustion chamber it would be hard to not get some buildup. I should have been clearer on this as what I was really trying to point out is in most cases it is not necessary to use clean-up products just for preventive maintenance reasons when there is no apparent symtoms.

Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. George@OilHelp.com,
or 1-800-887-6698 or http://www.OilHelp.com/Motorcycle-Oil.html

georgedouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2006, 09:35 AM   #32 (permalink)
Not sure where I put it

BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCLONE
those Mercedes and Porsche engineers are mostly inept anyway.
And this is why I use MMO in my '81 300TD Turbo. Overcomes the ineptness of the Benz engineers when they designed one of the best diesel motors ever brought to the streets.

BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:33 PM   #33 (permalink)
IronButt

rides99fatboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a '94 Dodge for my kid which is known for piston knock. There's even a TSB out of the knocking noise but no solution. After reading some posts a few months back on this forum about MMO, I decided what the heck. I put the prescribed amount in the fuel tank and after the first tank the noise disappeared. I was amazed. That car made that noise for about ten years and I just accepted the fact that is was a POS Dodge and had to live with it.

Like a lot of things, MMO has a place. Not sure if that place is in my vehicles that don't have issues that MMO will supposedly cure. I've had many cars and motorcycles over the past 25 years and never had to use additives except the occasional injector cleaner. To its credit, it did cure the knock on the POS Dodge.
rides99fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:22 PM   #34 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

georgedouglas wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rides99fatboy
I have a '94 Dodge for my kid which is known for piston knock. There's even a TSB out of the knocking noise but no solution. After reading some posts a few months back on this forum about MMO, I decided what the heck. I put the prescribed amount in the fuel tank and after the first tank the noise disappeared. I was amazed. That car made that noise for about ten years and I just accepted the fact that is was a POS Dodge and had to live with it.

Like a lot of things, MMO has a place. Not sure if that place is in my vehicles that don't have issues that MMO will supposedly cure. I've had many cars and motorcycles over the past 25 years and never had to use additives except the occasional injector cleaner. To its credit, it did cure the knock on the POS Dodge.
Do you have to keep putting the MMO in each tank? If so what you are basically doing is slowing the fuel burn down some and taking the slight knock out of the combustion process if that was what was knocking. I have done this same thing with fuel additives in engines that were right on the edge of pinging. Normally if the anti-knock sensor is working you won't get the noise, just poorer fuel economy as the timing is retarded slightly.

Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. George@OilHelp.com,
or 1-800-887-6698 or http://www.OilHelp.com/Motorcycle-Oil.html

georgedouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #35 (permalink)
FNG :)

freebird00yea wants to know Dino or Syn?
MMO has benefit in my opinion, and to me, that's all that matters. I was passed the tip about using it anout 25 yrs ago and have offered the same tip to others, and for them to draw their own conclusions. Does it help?? I can say without doubt it don't hurt, and what it does help is with a smoother running engine. When your strattled over two cylinders, you can really notice if a significant difference takes place, more so than a truck, car,etc.
Some say a cap full? It is hard to overdose on it (well, nothing is idiot proof) as I use it every fill up and pour in two or three ounces during a fill up. I use Amsoil in all other holes and have for years, but that is for bottom end and gears, heat rejection and friction. Valves, injectors and pistons, with todays Ethanol blended fuel, love added lube in my belief, Ethanol is basically a parts cleaner itself if you read up on it. I never mix MMO in my engine oil (on my bike) but have used the heck out of it over the years in my gas tank.
Lucas injector cleaner and top cyl. lube is good as well, just a little more pricey, but made for mostly the same reason.
All I can say is try it, with proof, you'll be a believer and hear the difference.
Years ago, back in the day when leaded gas was being phased out, everyone was looking for a lead substitute in forum. Someone said MMO has been out for years, what more could you want? Think about the whole scenerio with lead is gas, why was it there? For lubrication. When it was removed, anyone remember what had to happen to valves and seats in cylinder heads? They had to change composition of valves and seats to withstand removal of the lube (lead) or unleaded gas would destroy them (no cushion on the seats during closing).
I don't claim to be an engineer, but been a diesel mechanic all my working life of 40 yrs, and a Harley rider for the same.
Try it, and remember those who stood on the shore saying the earth is flat, you'll fall off Christopher !! Sometimes you just got to prove it to your self.
freebird00yea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #36 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Danglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
does anyone else remember back in the old days,people used to run a quart of atf down the carb,followed by water to de-carbon an engine? it was the cleaning agents in the atf that made it work.smoked like heck,but seemed to help.

this is perhaps the same thing? or close?

2002 Superglide
2012 Road glide Ultra T-header,T-max,Tuned Induction
Danglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #37 (permalink)
Outsider

Half_crazy wants to know Dino or Syn?
In fuel, yes.
In oil, no.

MMO is friction modifyers. In the primary it will make the clutch slip.

As a lubricant for the fuel pump and fuel system, it works great.
bodies, RPW Thor pipe, Lloydz ECU, PC-III, Rivera Pro clutch spring, 31 tooth pulley w/Buell belt.
Half_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #38 (permalink)
IronButt

johnjzjz wants to know Dino or Syn?
i have a 1948 chief as my main bike and have used it in every fuel re fill for a while, and this winter we took the engine all apart and i am sorry i did as it is as it was 15,000 miles ago - having a flathead motor almost no oil ends up on the valves it relied on leaded fuel and that is no longer available at the pump, so marvil does the job instead
and it really works for me -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zsvmhv1310350003.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	75695  
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:29 AM   #39 (permalink)
IronButt

cata5803 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have also used the MMO, on acasion I'll add to fuel for the carburator, also use to lube my cables... Been around for awhile..
Old 01-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #40 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Danglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
well,yesterday,on the way to work,I bought a bottle to try out in my old Saab.It's an 86 that sat for a few years till I resurrected it 3 yrs ago.I've been using it for a work car.it had over 200,000 before the odometer stopped working.I had already ran injector cleaner through it.

on the way home last night,sure seemed like it was running better..and I didn't expect the stuff to make any difference.

2002 Superglide
2012 Road glide Ultra T-header,T-max,Tuned Induction
Danglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #41 (permalink)
IronButt

injector cleaner is not a lube and MMO is just that - put a set of rubber gloves on pick up a greasy part and ooze around some MMO you will be a supporter of it, its great stuff cleans and lubes -- just me take - un like the snake oil that is also sold -- jz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hpaugf1306726599.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	75718  
Old 01-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #42 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz View Post
injector cleaner is not a lube and MMO is just that - put a set of rubber gloves on pick up a greasy part and ooze around some MMO you will be a supporter of it, its great stuff cleans and lubes -- just me take - un like the snake oil that is also sold -- jz
Ok, the bride picture was pretty good. I got a laugh out of that one. The picture of the can is a little scary. Who took the picture of the can of lube in the gas station bathroom?

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #43 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
Ok, the bride picture was pretty good. I got a laugh out of that one. The picture of the can is a little scary. Who took the picture of the can of lube in the gas station bathroom?
we were lost riding a few years back so to speak in east fonqueep it was in a bathroom in a gas station

do you really want to know ( really ) hahahahahaahahahha

the chick in the mens room was even better than the spray can they wont let me post that if i still have it -- jz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement