Mobil 1 Or Redline? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2006, 09:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

bluedeuce4 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mobil 1 Or Redline?

What do you prefer Mobil1 oil or Redline and why? Im running Redline in all three holes. Thinking about trying Mobil 1. Been hearing rumors that redline may not be that good from people, and internet. Thanks Guys
bluedeuce4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2006, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

hdmarsh77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm going to be putting in Mobil 1 in the engine this weekend. I've never used Redline in the engine. I'll use nothing but Redline Heavy Shockproof in my tranny though. I'm also trying Redline MTL in the primary as per advise from someone wiser than I.

I haven't heard anything bad about either one but I can get mobil 1 anywhere for less.

"I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane." WJ

hdmarsh77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Can i ask you why if you use Redline in the primary and trans. you dont use Redline 20w50 in the engine? Just curious. Thanks
Old 04-06-2006, 09:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

hdmarsh77 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just because I can get the Mobil 1 anywhere on the road, i.e. gas stations, Walmart, etc. At least this is what I'm told and I believe it. I haven't used the Mobil yet though, I'm switching from Syn 3 this weekend. As for Primary and tranny, I never need to add to those and I let those oils go a little longer. Plus the Shockproof really works well in my tranny and MTL was recommended to me.

"I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane." WJ

hdmarsh77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

That makes sense to me. We can`t get it here in south jersey. Thanks Bro
Old 04-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Jack-Jack wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Big Boys Use Mobil 1

I've used Redline in the primary & the tranny but only Mobil in the engine.

Look Mobil 1 is the factory fill in ALL Porsche, Corvettes & Mercedes and they know a hell of lot more about engine technology that we do.
Jack-Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Self Appointed!

Sheriff wants to know Dino or Syn?
I recently THRASHED through all the thousands of posts on this forum and other Harley related forums and came to these conclusions: (my opinion only!!)

1) Use oils and gear lubes manufactured for motorcycle (V-Twin) use only.
2) Stick with a well known (positive feedback) manufacturer. I narrowed this to Mobil 1, Redline, and Amsoil for my Harley.
3) Change your fluids as often as possible. If you think about it, this is a REAL CHEAP wasy to maintain good engine health! I plan to change crankcase every 3K miles and the primary and tranny every 5K.
4) My final conclusion (MOST IMPORTANT) was that EVERYONE has an opinion on oils and it does no good to argue with them. Do a little investigation, then just go with your gut feel...it will be right no matter what anyone else says!!!

After all my research, I currently have the following fluids in my Harley:
* Crankcase - Mobile 1 V-Twin 20W50
* Primary - Redline MTL
* Transmission - Amsoil Severe? 75W90

Not sure where I will be for the next round of changes.....

Good luck!

2005 Road King Classic FLHRCI
Sheriff's Photo Gallery

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates . It's more like a jar of jalapenos.
What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."
- Larry The Cable Guy
Sheriff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
2005 Road King Classic

wkohn wants to know Dino or Syn?
My great grand daddy used to use natural white rubber tires on his Harley and only had a few blow-outs a week. Then for his oil if it was slippery he would use it. Said all that fancy chemistry talk was just that. Fancy talk. That was his gut feeling.

lighter is faster - Colin Chapman (founder of Lotus)
Remember that cars and motorcycles are not the only things recalled by their maker. - some wise person
wkohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

SFTL-1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mobil, Amsoil, Redline - all great oils! But you need to go to 3 different sources to get them all and possibly a 4th depending on what filter you're using? Too inconvenient for me.
SE 257, HTCC Heads & Intake
Hooker Troublemaker Pipes
SFTL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Self Appointed!

Sheriff wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTL-1
Mobil, Amsoil, Redline - all great oils! But you need to go to 3 different sources to get them all and possibly a 4th depending on what filter you're using? Too inconvenient for me.
Actually, the only reason that I have different manufacturer's products is that I searched around the Charlotte area for suppliers. SO I bought some of each. My next change will most likely be using one or two (at most) types.
Sheriff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 04:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

SFTL-1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I went with all Redline Oils and a K&N Performance Gold filter. Found all products at Summit Racing. One-stop shopping and great prices.
SE 257, HTCC Heads & Intake
Hooker Troublemaker Pipes
SFTL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Tiwodogis wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oil discussions are like discussing religion, maybe worse. I also have researched numerouse HD forums and oil related forums and have come to the following opinions.

1. Use the correct grade and viscosity that is recommended and change it at the recommended intervals. ANY brand that fits the criteria is acceptable ie. car oil, diesel oil, v-twin specific oil and even Amsoil will work.
2. MC specific oil is not required unless you like to pay extra money for oil. HD recommends that you use diesel rated oil in a pinch and they designed and made the bike.
3. Changing the oil more frequently than recommended is a waste of time and money. Oils are better than they used to be and changing them more often (especially synthetic oil) is only helping the oil companies not your engine. A recent study even came to the conclusion that changing your oil too often is as bad as running it too long. Let me ask this, when was the last time you heard of an engine failure that was a result of using ANY correct grade, viscosity of oil (regardless of brand) and using the recommended oil change intervals?
4. What Sheriff said. It's your bike do what makes ya feel good.

I use:
Engine - Currently Redline 20-50 Syn but plan to try the Mobil1 car syn. Change it every 5,000 miles w/filter.
Tranny - Valvoline Dura Blend 85-140 but may try the Redline Shockproof. Change it every 20,000 miles per new recommendations. OK, I may only go 10,000 and change it with the primary.
Primary - Redline MTL. Change it every 10,000 miles per new recommendations.

Any of this can change based on what I read in the future.

Good Luck
Tiwodogis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
2005 Road King Classic

wkohn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Could use Amsoil's Severe Gear 75W-90 or 75W-140 in the transmission which in heavy equipment can be changed every 500,000 miles.

lighter is faster - Colin Chapman (founder of Lotus)
Remember that cars and motorcycles are not the only things recalled by their maker. - some wise person
wkohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.