Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 Gear Lube : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2005, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

SFTL-1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 Gear Lube

I've been looking at a variety of different transmission lubes that would work best in my 04' FXSTDI transmission. I came across an article written by A.J. Amatuzio, President and CEO of AMSOIL INC. stating that Amsoil's Series 2000 75W-90 Gear Lube would be suited for transmissions in 1340cc and 1450cc Harley Davidson models. Is this an old article and has this product been replaced by something else? I can't find this product list on Amsoil's web site.

If this product is in production, how does it differ from Amsoil's Severe Gear 75W90 Gear Oil? This thread is best suited for George, the resident Amsoil dealer, but if anyone knows, please educate me.

Thanks
SE 257, HTCC Heads & Intake
Hooker Troublemaker Pipes
SFTL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ahill wants to know where he is and how he got here
Replacement for 2000 75w-90 gear oil?

Yes, Amsoil did replace this gear oil with the "Severe" 75w-90 gear oil. I am using it and it works great! No problems with it at all!
ahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

doc ock wants to know Dino or Syn?
www.amsoil.com or just click on the box to your left
doc ock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Mo-Jo-Pa-Pa wants to know Dino or Syn?
Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90

Yes, Amsoil new gear lube is the Severe Gear 75W-90. However, Amsoil new (as of April 05) 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil has a GL-1 gear lube rating. Gear lube 1 rating is equal to a 90W gear lube. But, if you are more comfortable using the 75W-90 gear lube then go for it.

Mo-Jo-Pa-Pa
03 Ultra Classic
Old 11-05-2005, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ahill wants to know where he is and how he got here
Using Amsoil Motorcycle 20w-50 in Trans????

This is for George, but if anyone has a opinion on it, that would be cool!
I know that Amsoil is saying to use their Oil in the trans, but I am still not sure about using it? I think if it is rated at a 90 weight gear lube, then is it good for the engine? Does Amsoil really test "Harley" engines and trans to know for sure if they work? If so, how many miles and how long is the test?
I "USED" to use the Screamin eagle oil in all three spots, and after a time, I did not like it! I am using the Gear oil in it now, and it makes a difference, but I see comments about people using it and I just need something to get me over the Screamin Eagle stuff to try this!
I hope this makes some sense?
ahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

o2man98 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The first thing one needs to understand is that even though the "numbers" are so different that the viscosity is similar. Look at this:

SAE 90 Gear Oil = 13.5 - 23.99 cst @100C
SAE 50 Motor Oil = 16.3 - 21.89 cst @100C

You can see that the 50 wt falls completely within the range for the 90 wt and some 50 wt may actually be less viscus than 90wt. This concept is often misunderstood as it is confusing.

While being an outstanding motor oil the Amsoil MCV 20w-50 also meets GL-1 gear requirements at the same time.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

georgedouglas wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahill
This is for George, but if anyone has a opinion on it, that would be cool!
I know that Amsoil is saying to use their Oil in the trans, but I am still not sure about using it? I think if it is rated at a 90 weight gear lube, then is it good for the engine? Does Amsoil really test "Harley" engines and trans to know for sure if they work? If so, how many miles and how long is the test?
I "USED" to use the Screamin eagle oil in all three spots, and after a time, I did not like it! I am using the Gear oil in it now, and it makes a difference, but I see comments about people using it and I just need something to get me over the Screamin Eagle stuff to try this!
I hope this makes some sense?
As far as Amsoil and testing, they spend a ton of money on testing. They can't afford to be wrong and that is why much of their testing is done from outsiders so they can hold them liable to some degree in case of warranty claims. As far as amsoil's recommendations when used in Harleys, all they have to do is make sure their oil is better than syn3 and match or exceed Harleys claims due to the extensive testing Harley has done.

I also have done some testing of Amsoil gearlubes versus Amsoil 20w 50 when used in the tranny. The wear characteristics are identical in the twin cam bikes that I have tested. So with this said my opinion is to use whatever fluid you are more comfortable with because it isn't a wear issue. 20w 50 has been used in harley tranny's for 2 1/2 years now and how many tranny's have we seen go down from wear? You may hear a few rumors from time to time, but is there real evidence of this happening? I think if there was a problem Harley would have already changed their recommendations instead of increasing their service recommendation to 20,000 miles in their tranny's with no disclaimer of which fluid to use.

It is nice to use a fluid that cuts down on the clunk when changing gears, but unless you are having a grinding or having to use more force to get it into gear this is very normal and you shouldn't worry about it. All large bikes of any manufacturer make a clunking sound when shifting. The reason you might not hear this noise in an automobile manual tranny is due to a floor board that cuts the sound and keep in mind that many manual tranny's use ATF in them.

Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. George@OilHelp.com,
or 1-800-887-6698 or http://www.OilHelp.com/Motorcycle-Oil.html

georgedouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

malcolmUSA wants to know Dino or Syn?
Various Amsoil Recommendations

I bought an 2006 HD WG and wanted to convert to Amsoil since I use it in my car and have had good luck with it. The '06 owner's manual HD specifies a new lube for the trans and primary chain that Amsoil didn't reference on their website. I sent Amsoil an email asking for their recommendations and they replied below.

I've been looking on the web for information on the proper Amsoil to use in the three locations, and there are a number of conflicting recommendations. For example, one Amsoil related website will recommend MCV for all three locations, others recommend other types, and yet Amsoil recommended AMV in their response and in some tech bulletins (AMV is cheaper than MCV, which may be why). I tend to think that it doesn't make that much difference. However, I just wrote back to Amsoil recommeding they straighten this out. You know, one set of recommendations to supercede all. For now I'm going to use MCV in all three locations and not worry too much about it.

.................................................. ...

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.
In response to your inquiry, we have purchased and tested the new Harley Davidson Formula+ oil. This oil has very little additive content, just a splash of extreme pressure additive, and is a petroleum oil. Our 20W-50 AMV synthetic engine oil is proven to provide less wear as seen in the 4-ball wear tests (Formula + 0.49 wear vs AMSOIL AMV 0.35 wear). AMSOIL will continue to provide the best oil for the application. We recommend AMSOIL AMV 20W-50 for the transmission and chain case.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.
Sincerely,
Kevin Dinwiddie

In response to your inquiry, we don't have 2006 model information yet, so cannot give you complete answers. Use the 20W50 MCV in the engine. Harley # 99851-05 is a new lube and we have no information on it yet.
malcolmUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

georgedouglas wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmUSA
I bought an 2006 HD WG and wanted to convert to Amsoil since I use it in my car and have had good luck with it. The '06 owner's manual HD specifies a new lube for the trans and primary chain that Amsoil didn't reference on their website. I sent Amsoil an email asking for their recommendations and they replied below.

I've been looking on the web for information on the proper Amsoil to use in the three locations, and there are a number of conflicting recommendations. For example, one Amsoil related website will recommend MCV for all three locations, others recommend other types, and yet Amsoil recommended AMV in their response and in some tech bulletins (AMV is cheaper than MCV, which may be why). I tend to think that it doesn't make that much difference. However, I just wrote back to Amsoil recommeding they straighten this out. You know, one set of recommendations to supercede all. For now I'm going to use MCV in all three locations and not worry too much about it.

.................................................. ...

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.
In response to your inquiry, we have purchased and tested the new Harley Davidson Formula+ oil. This oil has very little additive content, just a splash of extreme pressure additive, and is a petroleum oil. Our 20W-50 AMV synthetic engine oil is proven to provide less wear as seen in the 4-ball wear tests (Formula + 0.49 wear vs AMSOIL AMV 0.35 wear). AMSOIL will continue to provide the best oil for the application. We recommend AMSOIL AMV 20W-50 for the transmission and chain case.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.
Sincerely,
Kevin Dinwiddie

In response to your inquiry, we don't have 2006 model information yet, so cannot give you complete answers. Use the 20W50 MCV in the engine. Harley # 99851-05 is a new lube and we have no information on it yet.
I will give Kevin a call and ask him to update his canned response to this question. Keep in mind that manufactures like Amsoil always take the position that unless they have the latest info from the OEM they will not go out on the line and assume that last years model is exactly like the new model. Also keep in mind the time line of his answers. I would think the first response was before we had the newest version MCV that came out last April. Also when you see recommendations from a company that doesn't mean that that is the only recomendation.

Check this link out concerning Amsoil's recommendations https://www.amsoil.com/products/stre...oil_chart.aspx

Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. George@OilHelp.com,
or 1-800-887-6698 or http://www.OilHelp.com/Motorcycle-Oil.html

Last edited by georgedouglas; 11-07-2005 at 10:32 AM.
georgedouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
FNG :)

malcolmUSA wants to know Dino or Syn?
Kevin did update his response:

"As you may have already figured out, there was a mistake in my last email to you. I made reference to AMV and I should have made reference to MCV, the replacement of AMV. Sorry for any confusion. There is a TSB in the dealer zone that will explain the AMSOIL recommended products and clear up any confusion."

I just put MCV is all three locations.
malcolmUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement