V-Twin Forum banner

I'm going to Hell but I'm going to use Harley Syn 3

9K views 38 replies 27 participants last post by  georgedouglas 
#1 ·
I know everyone hates the stuff, but I'm going to use the syn3 in the engine and the HD trans and primary formula in the other holes. I mean the MoCo has been around for a month or 2, they kind of know what they are doing. I just hope its not poser oil.

Just stirring,
Have a good day day guys.

#2 ·
You should be ok, but remember, they also want you coming in for repairs, as soon as your warranty runs out.

#6 ·
I use mobil 1 vtwin for engine and primary and a gear lube in the transmission I've tried the 20-50 in the trans before it wasn't terrible but I didn't care for it the bike runs much smoother with the 75-90 in the trans I'm actually going to try 75-140 on my next change and see how that works. Some aftermarket clutches call for ATF in the primary I don't see why it wouldn't work on a stock bike either but I wouldn't try it if your bike has a lot of miles because the detergents in the ATF may clean out gunk that was preventing a leak. just my 2 cents don't get me wrong I get parts from the MoCo when I need but being a 98 my bike has no warranty and I don't care to pay their premium for things I can get cheaper at autozone (plugs, filters, oil, etc) I just can't justify $12+ a qt just because it says HD my 2 cents.

#9 ·
mine are all amsoil, it prolly doesn't matter much which syn/oil ya use, ain't like moco is making their own.. but,, i'd use whatever they say for that warranty time..

#23 ·
Is the Valvoline and Catrol synthetic or dino?

#14 ·
I am using Synth3 in the engine and primary with Spectro 6speed oil in the transmission of my 2010 twincam.
Temperature in the middle east is always hot and we do not get the wide choice of alternative V-twin synth oils here.

I have a constant weep from the stator wire plug hole which is costing me using Synth3 at $20 a bottle so, would using a mineral oil like Castrol GT (20/50) be usable and be less problematic?

#20 · (Edited)
FWIW I use castrol in all my 4-wheels and I used to use Kendall in my bike, when Kendall got hard to find I just started using HD 20-50. Nowadays I refuse to set foot in the gay boutique (read; happy go lucky pseudo-biker hangout :whistle:) unless they are absolutely the only ones with parts for my 84 softail. That's not very likely, so.... Whatever oil that a buddy has on his shelf at his custom shop is good enough me. In a pinch I've used Rotella T diesel oil (15-40) because I have gallons of that available all the time for my tractors. If it has the right API ratings it's good oil. Rotella is not a great gas engine oil however.

#22 ·
I run the Syn3 in my motor also. Why, because I am not home every night when I check my oil. I can stop in any H-D stealership in the country and they have Syn3. Try finding Amsoil on the road, and every Wally World does not stock the same oils. I know it does not take much room to throw in a quart if I need it. But, when you are packing for a 1-2 week ride for 2 in a T-bag room is precious.

#32 ·
www.penngrade1.com

Syn 3is a a semi-synthetic, as is Brad-Penn, which is the old Kendall/Amalie refinery. They use Pennsylvania crude, considered the finest base for lubricating oil in the world. You can use syn 3 with their south american base stock, or something better,and manufactured here.................
Then I guess the nomenclature "FULL SYNTHETIC" printed on every bottle of Syn3 is a misprint?

#33 · (Edited)
The Syn3 Mystery??????

HD's secret recipe for Syn3 and who makes it for them is very interesting. I have read comment after comment claiming HD buys it from just about every slippery oil company on the planet so unless someone can claim they have inside information from HD I figure they don't know Jack. HD specifies the requirements, certifies it, and dealers will not hesitate to tell you they can empty your wallet if they pull the drain plug and grape juice or Pepto-Bismol run's out.
The bottom line folks; it's your dime, use what you will.:dh:

#37 ·
HD's secret recipe for Syn3 and who makes it for them is very interesting. I have read comment after comment claiming HD buys it from just about every slippery oil company on the planet so unless someone can claim they have inside information from HD I figure they don't know Jack. HD specifies the requirements, certifies it, and dealers will not hesitate to tell you they can empty your wallet if they pull the drain plug and grape juice or Pepto-Bismol run's out.
The bottom line folks; it's your dime, use what you will.:dh:
Go to Bobistheoigy.com you will get all you need to know there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.