Steering Head Lubrication : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

boston62 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Steering Head Lubrication

2012 UG Limited 5600 miles, my manual says to pump grease in until it flows out from top and bottom, I pumped a lot in there but don't see it. Any ideas
boston62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

ampster wants to know Dino or Syn?
if it's the first time this has been done, it will take most of a tube of grease to fill er up.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thanks! I needed that.

Scabbydoo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampster View Post
if it's the first time this has been done, it will take most of a tube of grease to fill er up.
Yep. Not a whole lot in there to begin with and the first 'lubrication' takes a whole lot more than you might guess. Also, you might want to consider 'marine grade' grease.

95" Bore by Zippers - Wiseco 9.5 Pistons - T-Man StageII Heads - Andrews 37G Cams - Stock Crossover Dual Headers
Samson Fishtail SlipOn's - TTS Mastertune - Build and Dyno by JD's Cycle Works

HP=98.03 - TQ=102.14 Uncorrected
HP=93.36 - TQ=97.27 SAE Corrected

Cost of build, about right. Value of grins, PRICELESS!

Scabbydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampster View Post
Thanks everyone, took almost the whole tube, but it came out top and bottom.

Its great doing you own maintenance on your bike, 2012 it has never been back to HD.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I use Hi Temp Grease down here, keeps it from getting all over in the heat of summer
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitram_b4 View Post
I use Hi Temp Grease down here, keeps it from getting all over in the heat of summer
I just used what HD had, I live in Florida, not bad now, but this summer.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
I didn't think Hi Temp meant to use for ambient temperature, thought it was for applications that generated hi heat. You learn something all the time.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Hammerhead Pat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Remember to check for grease that works its way out and wants to blow back all over your tank...
Hammerhead Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston62 View Post
I didn't think Hi Temp meant to use for ambient temperature, thought it was for applications that generated hi heat. You learn something all the time.
it just keeps it from loosing it's viscosity and running out the bottom bearing. Mid summers here can be in the triple digits and the standard grease winds up on the outside of the neck, all over the front head and on your front fender... not a large amount, but it makes a mess when you are cleaning your bike
Old 12-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

georgedouglas wants to know Dino or Syn?
Greases can bleed even at room temperatures even if a high temp high quality grease is used. Just depends on how good the grease manufacturer blends all the components together in the manufacturing process. Seems that the bleeding problem is more common with the cheap greases though.
george

Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. George@OilHelp.com,
or 1-800-887-6698 or http://www.OilHelp.com/Motorcycle-Oil.html

georgedouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

BUBBIE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Can't remember ?

I used a Thick Red, Fully synthetic grease ?????... Most of two tubes was used BOTH top and bottom did show up at the same time...

IF the bottom shows up and the top will not,,,,Take a wide shoelace and pull it around the bottom of the neck to hold back the grease Then Pump.... It will show up out the top...

Yes it can be messy but think of the $$$$$$ HD saves by Brill Creaming the neck bearings. (a little dab will do you'a)

signed....BUBBIE
BUBBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedouglas View Post
Greases can bleed even at room temperatures even if a high temp high quality grease is used. Just depends on how good the grease manufacturer blends all the components together in the manufacturing process. Seems that the bleeding problem is more common with the cheap greases though.
george
Must be the Harley OEM Grease is cheap crap, I had to push it all out before it stopped getting all over my bike, the high temp that is in it now stays put, no more than needing to wipe a little off the lower bearing once in a while
Old 12-06-2012, 05:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
it just keeps it from loosing it's viscosity and running out the bottom bearing. Mid summers here can be in the triple digits and the standard grease winds up on the outside of the neck, all over the front head and on your front fender... not a large amount, but it makes a mess when you are cleaning your bike
Thanks will keep an eye out for it, I guess the only way to fix it is to pump high quality grease in until that flows from top and bottom, but will watch the HD grease this summer. Thanks for that info.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Navy - MCPO

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've been using "Green Grease" in fork stem bearings for quite a few years. Even in the deep south, don't see any weeping that sprays all over the bike.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement