K&N oil filter never again - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

boston62 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Ride View Post
I had a similar experience, although I didn't pierce the shell of the filter and went to my LBS to have it removed (cost me a 6 pack of American beer!)

They told me that it's necessary to use a correct size box end wrench with one palm heal over the nut - since the top of the K&N nut seems to be slightly "crowned".

Now I don't tourque the fiters on too tight!
I don't really think its a solid nut but made of thin metal.
boston62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

FXRS84 wants to know Dino or Syn?
The nut on the K&N is also a metric size for best wrench fit,
If I remember it is a 17mm, but would suggest you check.
I was having a problem getting one of using the usual 11/16
went to metric to get a better fit on the nut, came right off
FXRS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

KEYBEAR wants to know where he is and how he got here
Years ago I bought my son then a 16 year old football player a new ford Ranger 4 banger .
The first service was done at the dealer . The second I did with him looking on .

After that he was to do all service and i would inspect his work . His second oil change he could not remove the filter . Long story short after more stuck filters he promised to never change his own oil ever again . Time and money saved

KEYBEAR
KEYBEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

SuperTramp wants to know Dino or Syn?
maybe he just hates u....did it on purpose, never heard of indy's stockin/usin k/n filters, but what do i know
SuperTramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
FNG :)

Frank the Tank wants to know Dino or Syn?
I completly agree with the ones stating that this filter was over tourqued upon install.
I had a neighbor ask me for help once. I went to his house and looked at the filter he was trying to get off, nothing left but the base. Crawled under the car and took it right off with a rag to protect my hands from getting cut by the shrapnel, he was amazed and asked what my secret was so I told him to remove he needs to turn counter clockwise, he said "I WAS" to which I replied, " you were but you were doing so from the top side of the car". It took him a second but he finally understood my point, we both laughed.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

jakenok wants to know Dino or Syn?
change your own oil and this won't happen. Not the filter's fault. BTW, the 17mm socket fits the nut on K&N and J&P filters. Use the right tool.
jakenok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

vesone wants to know Dino or Syn?
A little trick I learned from owning a 4.3 Merc Cruiser.Take some 60 grit sandpaper and duct tape it to the filter wrench. The wrench won't slip around the filter and it comes off every time without any mess. Hope this helps someone.
vesone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

brownfoxx1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
check out the universal oil filter wrench at k Mart or sears. its a 3 prong claw that you insert a 3/8" extension in it. works great. had one go bad & reuurned it for a new one once.
brownfoxx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #24 (permalink)
FNG :)

NICK56 wants to know Dino or Syn?
ON THE SUBJECT OF OIL FILTERS .... OCT 2013 .. lifter clatter on my 2012 FLTRU. Dealer cuts the non hd oil filter apart and sends pix to milw.. HD denies my warranty the claim due to .. u guessed it, NON HD OIL FILTER. BE CAREFUL ALL OF YOU NON HD OIL FILTER USERS ! TRUE STORY, I SWEAR! JUST HAPPENED TO ME !!!!!
NICK56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

BORIS883 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK56 View Post
ON THE SUBJECT OF OIL FILTERS .... OCT 2013 .. lifter clatter on my 2012 FLTRU. Dealer cuts the non hd oil filter apart and sends pix to milw.. HD denies my warranty the claim due to .. u guessed it, NON HD OIL FILTER. BE CAREFUL ALL OF YOU NON HD OIL FILTER USERS ! TRUE STORY, I SWEAR! JUST HAPPENED TO ME !!!!!
Time to come clean. Time now. What filter did you run. Brand and model number.

I imagine if I were to run the truck or car filter on my bike I would also have a problem on my hands, TRUE STORY!

As to he OP. thats akin to saying you will never use brand x oil ever again because someone who serviced the bike only put half the amount of oil needed in it.
BORIS883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

chasespeed wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK56 View Post
HD requires a 5 micron filter for the Twin Cam. MagnussenMoss Act, as long as it meets or exceeds the MFRs specs, it is valid, and they can't deny your claim.

If you used a filter that doesn't meet their requirements, they have every right to deny your claim. There are varying filtration rates for filters. However, I find it hard to believe that they could determine the filtration rate of the filter, just by a picture of the inside. But, what do I know.

So, do tell what filter you where using.

Information regarding microns etc is all over the place regarding the filters, as well as the bypass.

My 2 pennies, if an engine is new, and or under warranty, stick with the HD filter(Twin Cam at least). It'll avoid having to fight them. Plus, it's cheap. 10 bucks or so from HD. The K&N from my local Indy is $15.
I usually run the K&N on my Evo. I ran the Ford K&N (more oil capacity) oil filter(auto) on my Buell, and the Smaller Ford K&N on my last sporty. Many miles on both of those with no issues.

Chase

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Advertisement