Amsoil ATF in Primary : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Steve47 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Amsoil ATF in Primary

I purchased a 2010 Ultra about 2 weeks ago and wanted to change all the fluids. Based on what I've read in this forum I wanted to use Amsoil ATF in the primary to improve the shifting and finding neutral.

I noticed today what appears to be a small leak from where the stator wire runs through the front of the case. It appeared after a short ride. My question is could I have simply overfilled the primary? I put the entire quart in when filling or could this be from some difference in viscosity that allows the fluid to seep through the rubber connection? The dealer had used 20W50 in the primary at the last service.

Any help is appreciated.
Steve47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

blkfalc4 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Newer tourers use 38oz.
I only use ATF in the older 5 speeds due to the newer comps don't like it as much.
Fullsac 'X' pipe and recore muffs
TTS
'013' BMW K1600GTL
blkfalc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

RG50 wants to know Dino or Syn?
You cant over fill it with one qt. unless the drain was incomplete.
Like blkfalc4 siad,38oz.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

No Cents wants to know Dino or Syn?
I use Amsoil Super Shift ATF in my primary on my 2008 FLHX. It takes 38 ounces. It definately make the shifting smoother and finding nuetral is a lot easier. The clutches lock up better also.
Just my 2 cents...from No Cents.
No Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ultra...good wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had been using B/M trick shift ATF in my primary for the last 15000 miles and recently changed to h/d trans and primary fluid. The only reason I switched was the ATF was always weeping through the gasket and I was always cleaning it off the primary cover. Beyond that it worked real well. Did not have to adjust the primary chain at all in that time.
ultra...good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
FNG :)

Steve47 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks everyone. After putting a couple hundred miles on the bike this weekend the leak is so small that it might completely stop. Worth monitoring but not changing fluid, at least yet. Sounds like I might need to add another 6oz or so though.
Steve47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Dyna Ryda is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I use amsoil super shift atf in my primary also, it works the best. I have tried almost every brand and grade of oil or fluid. No leaks either.
Dyna Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

cata5803 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Try not to over fill as the Service Manual say's over filling could make it hard to find neutral.....
Old 04-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

gusotto wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've always used motorcycle developed oils for tranny, engine and primary.
I leave the car oils for the cars. I don't ever hear of anybody saying motorcycle oils work better in their cars.

Never had a problem I was trying to cure in either the Ultra or Sporty by changing to car fluids.
Been running Spectro semi-synthetic 20W50 in both engines and Spectro 6-speed tranny in the Ultra since I got the bike.
gusotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ultra...good wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusotto View Post
I've always used motorcycle developed oils for tranny, engine and primary.
I leave the car oils for the cars. I don't ever hear of anybody saying motorcycle oils work better in their cars.

Never had a problem I was trying to cure in either the Ultra or Sporty by changing to car fluids.
Been running Spectro semi-synthetic 20W50 in both engines and Spectro 6-speed tranny in the Ultra since I got the bike.
Likely you will never hear of someone using motorcycle oils in a car because of the higher price of motorcycle oil. Trying different fluids for different applications is just a process of thinking outside the box, maybe we can find something that works better, and many have. If you really think about that for a second, your guilty as well; your using Spectro oils where it is recomended to use H/D blended oils.
ultra...good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

chriscalabro wants to know Dino or Syn?
The leak through the gasket is likely not due to the type of fluid your using as it may be related to a pinched or not completely sealed gasket. The only issue I have with ATF in the primary (which I agree presents the best shift and engagement performance) has been what I consider early wear on the SE compensator which I believe is stock on newer bikes. I have gone through three SE comps. When I used Formula + or motor oil (Amsoil 20w-60) i had considerably less wear than using ATF. It is considerable and quickly noticeable.

R&R 131 Build

R&R Stage V billett Heads
S&S 640 Cams
R&R Billet 131 Jugs
Bassani Road Rage
HPI TB 62 MM
Baker DD7
Baker +1
SE Performance Comp
(1) Jagg Oil coolers
Michelin E3 Rubber
Rivera Pro Clutch Hydraulic
chriscalabro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

alyupe wants to know Dino or Syn?
Another amsoil super shift user here.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

gusotto wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra...good View Post
Trying different fluids for different applications is just a process of thinking outside the box, maybe we can find something that works better, and many have. If you really think about that for a second, your guilty as well; your using Spectro oils where it is recomended to use H/D blended oils.
It's a free country to use whatever you like but I know the Spectro 6-speed tranny oil is designed specifically for the Harley 6-speed transmission. That's what I use.
Same with the other MC oils developed by Spectro.
If it's good enough to be the oil for BMW (check the BMW oil bottle, it's made by Spectro), it's passed their requirements.

Too many complaints regarding Harley Formula+ and Syn3.

I've got too much involved with my bike to run around various auto/farm stores while "searching" for a better oil and to save a buck.
My MC oils have been working just fine.
gusotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve47 View Post
I purchased a 2010 Ultra about 2 weeks ago and wanted to change all the fluids. Based on what I've read in this forum I wanted to use Amsoil ATF in the primary to improve the shifting and finding neutral.

I noticed today what appears to be a small leak from where the stator wire runs through the front of the case. It appeared after a short ride. My question is could I have simply overfilled the primary? I put the entire quart in when filling or could this be from some difference in viscosity that allows the fluid to seep through the rubber connection? The dealer had used 20W50 in the primary at the last service.

Any help is appreciated.
First the good news. The ATF is not the cause of the Stator wire leak. It just happens some times not madder what you run.
The primary is not that fussy .
ATF is a bit thin and you wet clutch is NOT an automatic.
Any good 20/50 engine oil syn or not will work.
The Stuff about syn being bad for the clutch is bull.
Any good Engine oil will work fine, so will Spectro primary oil, Red line primary oil or any of the ones offered.
Proper level is more important than what you run in it. Along with proper clutch adjustment.
Run what you want if it helps you sleep but millions of HD miles make it clear it all a waste of time there is no magic secret lube of oil thats going to make you HD do anything any different.
And amsol will not bring it back from the dead. .
I put 20-60K a year on my HD.
I use syn engine oil because it make me feel better with the heat, I have friends that do not and their bikes do just fine.
I run 20/50 in primary so I do not need to keep different lubes around, works just fine.
I change engine oil every 5k, primary every 10 and trans every 15-20K. And never have had one major malfunction.
Surprise changing oil and lube every time you turn around will not make your HD last for ever.
Fill the primary and ride.
Fixing that leak is a pain. My 2011 is in now getting it done under warranty.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

georgedouglas wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscalabro View Post
The leak through the gasket is likely not due to the type of fluid your using as it may be related to a pinched or not completely sealed gasket. The only issue I have with ATF in the primary (which I agree presents the best shift and engagement performance) has been what I consider early wear on the SE compensator which I believe is stock on newer bikes. I have gone through three SE comps. When I used Formula + or motor oil (Amsoil 20w-60) i had considerably less wear than using ATF. It is considerable and quickly noticeable.
I am curious to why you are have compensator issues and secondly why you may feel that it may be due to the thinner ATF fluid? What are your symtoms for the compensator issue?
george

Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. George@OilHelp.com,
or 1-800-887-6698 or http://www.OilHelp.com/Motorcycle-Oil.html

georgedouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement