Syn 3 vs Amsoil : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

JonV wants to know Dino or Syn?
Syn 3 vs Amsoil

Hi all,

Getting ready to DIY my 5K service, can't decide on going MoCo Syn 3 in all the holes or the Amsoil specifics ... would love to hear a few opinions..... did a search for "syn 3" nothing popped up.

Thanks in advance,

john
JonV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Clevy wants to know Dino or Syn?
The syn 3 is rebadged citgo. Amsoil is a top of the line product. Use 70w-90 gear oil in the tranny though instead of oil. Red line is top notch too
Clevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

brownfoxx1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
use a gear oil in the tranny. like red line or spectro. syn 3 is wat too thin to use in the teanny. some '11's have had bearing problems, and many on this site believe/sware
its because they use syn 3 in the tranny.
brownfoxx1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

ampster wants to know Dino or Syn?
syn3

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/se...archid=3494330

Engine Oils and Lubrication

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/en...s-lubrication/

head over there quick before someone comes in with a dead horse emoticon!
Old 11-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
I haven't seen your bird.

MadCity is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I just moved it there.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
FNG :)

JonV wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs up Thanks

LOL, typical Newbie.... didn't see this room, also neglected to say it's an 09 FXD.....

Yeah, I'm familiar with the variants of Amsoil for the Crank, Primary and Trans. Wanted to see what the consensus is in this Forum..
JonV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 02:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Clevy wants to know Dino or Syn?
K. For the price of syn 3 you can get a premium oil,not that re-badged citgo crap. However no bikes blew up with any approved oil so you just gotta ask yourself what are you comfortable with. I use a 5w-50 for spring and fall and a straight 50 in the summer. Amsoil,red-line,mobil 1 gold cap and royal purple are all group 4 or better basestocks which means they are a true synthetic. Castrol syntec,mobil 1 tri-syn,penzoil platinum and h-d syn 3 are all group 3 which are a highly refined conventional. So if you choose from the first 4 options you are getting what your paying for. The other 4 aren't real synthetic and the syn 3 is actually a group 2(conventional),group 3 ( refined conventional) and group 4(synthetic) all mixed together. So I shy away from it simply be wise there are better products for the same money.
And because our bikes aren't a shared sump we do not need the expensive v-twin oils with the JASO spec. That spec is for *** bikes. The v-twin oils are good products but not worth the money. If you live in a warm climate any 20w-50 changed at 3000 miles will be fine. Synthetics last longer and resist shearing for longer than conventional. They also dissipate heat better. In the end you have to be comfortable with your choice.
I personally hate anything mobil but tha doesn't mean they don't make good oil. Red-line has a 3 product bike package that I personally really like. The shock proof heavy in the tranny is a must have. It comes with oil for primary and 20-50 for the motor. If you can find that package buy it. Amsoil is also top notch but personally I would use the 75w-90 gear oil in my tranny. They shift better and easier to find neutral.

Honestly though these bikes have been running for 100 years with regular oil so it really comes down to your maintenance schedule. New oil protects better than used oil.
Clevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Indianspringsaz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Go with the Amsoil and dont look back.
20W-50 in the motor
75-110 in the trans
Big Sucker, TTS Mastertune
SERT 107/115
Arizona AMSOIL connection
Indianspringsaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
XLIII

MegaGlide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Syn 3 in the primary gives me a grabby clutch engagement, kind of a shudder just this side of a chatter.
Amsoil 20w50 gives me a smooth engagement with no slippage.

YMMV, Caveat Emptor, Unladen European Swallow, etc.,

Sherlyn Popelka DUI, Aggravated Assault, Fugitive Arrest Reports HERE:
http://www.sherlynpopelka.net/
MegaGlide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

jakenok wants to know Dino or Syn?
Havoline 20w-50: great oil, inexpensive, performs well. Change at regular intervals and use that extra cash you save to buy something nice for yourself.
jakenok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 06:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Simple syn 3 is a good oil not a great one will do fine but over priced and manufactured by Hugo your money spend it where you wish.
Next there are many great syn engine oils 20/50 for motorcycles
All are out standing.
Redline
Spectro
M1
Royal Purple
Lucaus
Amsoil
So it it comes down to what kind of company do you want to spend your money with, can you pick it up when you want it.
Modern day engines running any of these quality syn engine oil do not fail because of lubrication .
I use Spector not because it is any better than the others in the list but because they are a honest company devoted to motorcycles.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

jakenok wants to know Dino or Syn?
Regarding Citgo: true Hugo and co own the stuff, but Citgo employs THOUSANDS of US citizens at its US refineries. Formerly Cities Service, Citgo is an American brand that has the misfortune of being owned by a nutcake (he's dying by the way)
jakenok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenok View Post
Regarding Citgo: true Hugo and co own the stuff, but Citgo employs THOUSANDS of US citizens at its US refineries. Formerly Cities Service, Citgo is an American brand that has the misfortune of being owned by a nutcake (he's dying by the way)
Well it is not an American brand if Hugo owns it and controls it.
Trying to change the name will not change who they are
Old 11-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

hd4evr2008 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mobil One V-Twin in engine
Mobil One Gear Oil in tranny
HD Formula Plus in primary

has worked great for me for many years.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

petew wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just did the 7500 mile service and replaced all of the factory oils in the 3 holes that were Syn3 are all now Redline products. They have a Primary oil, a transmission specific oil and a selection of weights for the motor oil. But as was stated this has been talked to death, and No failures I know of that have been caused by any oil as opposed to another. If there is enough lube, it was good enough no failure ever happened due to oil blend or brand, dino or syn....
2011 FLTRX 103" Stage IV, HoleShot Choppers LED Lighting, SE 259E Cams, SE Super Tuner, SE Heavy Breather AC, SE CNC heads, SE 58MM Throttlebody, Vance&Hines Power Duals, and V&H Hi-Output Slip-ons, Renegade Racine Contrast Cut 21x3.5 17x6.25/ Avon 120/70x21" Avon 200/55x17" Dyno Tuned by HDHD 117HP 111TQ
petew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.