Mobil 1 vs. lucas : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

kennyflhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mobil 1 vs. lucas

Does anyone have the pros & cons of mobil 1 vs lucus? I know S&S recomends mobil 1 & that means alot. I think they have too much to loose to just put thier name on anything. As far as Lucus goes, I'm sold on thier oil additive,even used it as engine assembly lube with great results. Just haven't heard anyone's personal experience with it.
kennyflhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

spinning wheels wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have used both Mobil 1 15W-50 and Lucas synthetic 20W-50. What I noticed about the Lucas, was that it is thinner and got pasted my rings and or valve guides. This was on a low milage '03 Road Glide.
I really like the Mobil 1 oil. I use it in my '96 Dyna with 60k miles on the odometer. The motor was rebuilt with approx 30k miles on it, due to cam bearing failure. This was before switching to Mobil 1. I switched to Mobil 1 after breaking in the motor. I tried Amsoil in the Dyna, and I really liked their product but it is hard to find.
Currently my 03 has 35K miles and is doing great using the Mobil 1 oil. Lately, I have been having a problem finding the 15W-50 grade. On a side note, I have a '87 Volvo turbo wagon, with 250k miles and it runs on Mobil 1 oil. The stuff works very well. Thats my .02 cents worth.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

rob71458 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think Lucas is "snake oil", No new science here, just a lot of marketing. Their engine oil additive is just a thickening agent and no different than the old STP.
rob71458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

kennyflhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
15w50?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinning wheels View Post
I have used both Mobil 1 15W-50 and Lucas synthetic 20W-50. What I noticed about the Lucas, was that it is thinner and got pasted my rings and or valve guides. This was on a low milage '03 Road Glide.
I really like the Mobil 1 oil. I use it in my '96 Dyna with 60k miles on the odometer. The motor was rebuilt with approx 30k miles on it, due to cam bearing failure. This was before switching to Mobil 1. I switched to Mobil 1 after breaking in the motor. I tried Amsoil in the Dyna, and I really liked their product but it is hard to find.
Currently my 03 has 35K miles and is doing great using the Mobil 1 oil. Lately, I have been having a problem finding the 15W-50 grade. On a side note, I have a '87 Volvo turbo wagon, with 250k miles and it runs on Mobil 1 oil. The stuff works very well. Thats my .02 cents worth.
I keep seeing 15w50 around the forum. Is that car oil?Doesn't most car oils have less zinc additive than motorcycle oil?
kennyflhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

confederate wants to know Dino or Syn?
I haven't used Lucas before, so I decline to comment on them. I do recommend Mobil 1 or Amsoil. I have used these in all my vehicles and have been very pleased.

FXDC
SEPST*HP 75.81*TQ 87.61*Stage 1*Rinehart Exhaust*Arlen Ness Big Sucker
K&N Hi Flow Filter*HD Retro Air Cleaner Cover
HD 4inch risers*J&P Cycles Highway Pegs
"I'd boil her panties and make soup"
confederate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

FX-Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wal-Mart has the Mobil -1 15W-50 syn for $22.00 for a 5 quart jug.. not bad for the best oil out there, i ran this stuff since 1994 when it was a red cap.i put over 100.000 miles on it and no wear at all. top end looked like new... since my engine build i run dino 50wt.. seems to like it and its cheep..
FX-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

TonyJ wants to know Dino or Syn?
I heard that Lucas had some major problems with thier synth oil. Something to do with the nickle settleing in the bottom of the drums. Suposedly some of the builders they supply oil to were having issues and that is what it turned out to be. Someone else probably knows more of the story.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Bald_Tire wants to know Dino or Syn?
Neither,

Rotella T
Bald_Tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

angelflights wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lucs sealing statement

Onthe bottle it says it will seal gaskets and seams to prevent leaks. Im useing it now but will take it out for amsoil.
Ive noticed more stumbling with it in both my truck and sled.
Plus I dont want to have to add a 15.00$$ additvie oil thickener at changes. But I do apreciate the sealing propoerties, havent noticed that weeping at the crank case. cooll
angelflights is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement