Super Tech ST3614 oil filter : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Gary7 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Super Tech ST3614 oil filter

If any of you are looking for a cheaper alternative to Harley oil filters, the Super Tech ST3614 is under $3 at Wal-Mart and is a direct replacement. It is made by Champion, just like the HD filters.

I sent Champion this e-mail yesterday:

Quote:
I used your online filter catalog to look up the correct Champion filter
for my 2009 Harley FXDC and came up with PH2835 (non chrome). I know
Champion makes Super Tech filters and the cross reference for the Super
Tech ST3614 is the Champ PH2835. Are these filters functionally
equivalent so that I can use the ST3614 on my Harley?
Here is the response I got:

Quote:
Gary,

Yes this info is correct. The ST3614 would be the correct filter for your Harley. The Super Tech filter meets all of the requirements of the OE Harley filter.

Bob Buckman
Tech Rep
Champion Labs
1-800-882-0890
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

rob71458 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sounds good to me
rob71458 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

1wildpig wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yep, been using them for years...found out by curiosity back in '96 that a Fram PH3614 fit a '96 Sportster I had .. so I checked the specs and they pretty well matched up to the Harley filters...SuperTech filters are better made than Fram. ACDelco PF34 crosses to a Baldwyn B243 that has the ADBV which works also...and ACDelco PF53,13 and 2 cross for the Fram PH3614, but the PF53 crosses for the Baldwin 1413 MC filter for Evos that has no ADBV so make sure they have the anti drainback valves (ADBV) for the twin cam engines...there are several filters that will work with most of the difference being the particular size of can for a particular application fit. A few minutes spent looking up cross references and then opening the box and looking for the ADBV if needed and you can save some money without hurting your engine -Ok, well, that applies to evolution engines...the deal about twin cams needing to filter smaller microns may lead you to use something different while in warranty?? Some of the best filters made are Amsoil filters and the same filter is used for both evo and twin cam engines?? .... I run a '97 RK (love my EVO!) and I also use a SuperTech 3600 (with ADBV) which is a longer filter and will fit either engine...
Old 03-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

doc ock wants to know Dino or Syn?
Friends don't let friends shop at wal-mart. Help keep America going and order from your favorite Amsoil dealer. Mine happens to be George, a site sponser.
doc ock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

george248 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like my money... have no problems with Walmart or the filters they sell...
george248 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Bald_Tire wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary7 View Post
If any of you are looking for a cheaper alternative to Harley oil filters, the Super Tech ST3614 is under $3 at Wal-Mart and is a direct replacement. It is made by Champion, just like the HD filters.

I sent Champion this e-mail yesterday:

Here is the response I got:
I just went out to Walmart and bought 3 of the ST3614 filters for 2.83 cents a piece. Went out to the barn to compare with a real HD filter, and to my surprise, there is no comparison..

I don't see how one can say Champion makes the HD filters when they are So different.

The HD filter is twice has heavy, 1/2 inch longer and constructed very well. The ST3614 is a lightweight and what looks to be a poorly constructed POS. I wouldn't substituted one of these for any other brand.

Had I just bought 1 instead of 3, I would have tossed it into the trash can, but these are going back.
Bald_Tire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald_Tire View Post
I just went out to Walmart and bought 3 of the ST3614 filters for 2.83 cents a piece. Went out to the barn to compare with a real HD filter, and to my surprise, there is no comparison..

I don't see how one can say Champion makes the HD filters when they are So different.

The HD filter is twice has heavy, 1/2 inch longer and constructed very well. The ST3614 is a lightweight and what looks to be a poorly constructed POS. I wouldn't substituted one of these for any other brand.

Had I just bought 1 instead of 3, I would have tossed it into the trash can, but these are going back.
You should use the filter that makes you happy.

If you understand the fundamental differences between an Ecore filter and a standard filter, in the way they are made, you would easily see why the ST filter is lighter and shorter. I guarantee that if you took the elements out of each filter and unfolded the pleated media, the ST filter would have more square inches of filter area. Again, that's because of the difference in the way the two type filters are made.

And Champion does make both the ST and HD filters.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Funny!! I googled "ecore filter", and the first article that comes up one where the ecore filter fail and burned up this guy's engine. It was a few years back though.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...353573&fpart=1

I looked inside the ST filter and saw that plastic cage in there, vs the metal tube and spring in the HD filter, and just the general roughness of the whole thing. The difference is day and night. Wonder why HD doesn't embrace these filters? they could probably make twice the money selling a filter that would cost them 1/2 of what they are paying now.

Forgot to say, the filter wrench for the HD doesn't fit the ST3614 either.

Last edited by Bald_Tire; 03-26-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Dave63 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

HD filters for twin cams have a 5 micron rating, as where Evos have a 10 micron rating.

I'd want to know the pressure relief and micron rating of any filter I used on my bike, and especially on a twin cam engine....

If the micron rating is lower, (higher number) on the "XYZ brand" filter, it's NOT identical.

I'm not about to save money on oil filters to pay for a rebuild due to lubrication issues because I used a substandard filter.

Just sayin'....

Was that information included from the MFGer? If it was, and it's the same....that good news..!!

Last edited by Dave63; 03-26-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald_Tire View Post
Funny!! I googled "ecore filter", and the first article that comes up one where the ecore filter fail and burned up this guy's engine. It was a few years back though.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...353573&fpart=1
Any filter would have failed with that sort of pressure spike.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
HD filters for twin cams have a 5 micron rating, as where Evos have a 10 micron rating.

I'd want to know the pressure relief and micron rating of any filter I used on my bike, and especially on a twin cam engine....
Champion makes both the HD filters and the ST filters. The Champion tech said the ST3614 meets all OEM requirements for my 2009 FXDC. End of story.

NB: The whole micron rating thing is totally meaningless without knowing the beta ratio of the filter.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

If a warranty claim arises, and HD wants to point to a non-HD filter as the cause, the burden would be on them to show that the filter was the cause of the problem. If they met that burden, then I would take my e-mail from Champion and go to Champion and say "pony up."
Old 03-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Dave63 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
If a warranty claim arises, and HD wants to point to a non-HD filter as the cause, the burden would be on them to show that the filter was the cause of the problem. If they met that burden, then I would take my e-mail from Champion and go to Champion and say "pony up."

yeah...sorry Gary, I deleted my post. It began to sound like I was arguing and that's not what I'm trying to do.

I sent Champion an email myself, asking a few questions. It sounds like a good alternative, and I don;t run "chrome" filters anyway.

I was about to buy another case of black ones from JPCycle, and ran into your thread.

I'll let you know of any constructive information I discover.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
yeah...sorry Gary, I deleted my post. It began to sound like I was arguing and that's not what I'm trying to do.

I sent Champion an email myself, asking a few questions. It sounds like a good alternative, and I don;t run "chrome" filters anyway.

I was about to buy another case of black ones from JPCycle, and ran into your thread.

I'll let you know of any constructive information I discover.
Post back and let us know what Champion says in their reply to you.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Champion makes both the HD filters and the ST filters. The Champion tech said the ST3614 meets all OEM requirements for my 2009 FXDC. End of story.

NB: The whole micron rating thing is totally meaningless without knowing the beta ratio of the filter.

I wonder what the beta ratio is for the cheaper ST filters? 99 times out of 100, I get stung by buying a cheaper replacement, and wonder why MOCO doesn't switch. (maybe they will) I mean after all, they switch to everything else that is cheaper and still charge the same price. Like the shitty cheap ass windshields they put on the touring bikes now and sell as replacements, or ALL the chrome crap, and accessories made in china. One would think they could make millions more by adopting Ecore Champion filters.

How many miles have you put on your 09 running the ST3614 's so far?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.