Amsoil SG 75W-90, 75W110 or 75W140?? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

wjjflht wants to know Dino or Syn?
Amsoil SG 75W-90, 75W110 or 75W140??

What would be best for my 2008 SG?
wjjflht is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Phemus

steveusmc wants to know Dino or Syn?
In your tranny? 75/90 in the winter and 75/110 or 140 in the summer.
20/50 syn in crankcase. HD Primary/Tranny oil in Primary..works fine.
steveusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
0043--Licensed to Doof!

Geezer-Glide wants to know Dino or Syn?
75/90 is fine year 'round in the stock tranny. No issues. I have a Baker DD6 in my bagger and I run 75/140 year 'round. Any kind of heavy usage, or more than "normal" usage you might want to consider the 110 or the 140.

Of course, Amsoil 20/50 for the engine, and Amsoil Super Shift in the primary.

Keep in mind that both the tranny and primary would now be 10,000 mile change outs with Amsoil. We also have white papers showing that Amsoil 20/50 in the engine still holds it's viscosity after 10,000 miles as well. Just change out your oil filter at 5000 miles and top off your oil level.

I Doof, therefore I am.

D.F.F.D

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. YOU MAY NOW RETURN TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING. THANK YOU.
Geezer-Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Phemus

Just my opinion but with or without a paper that says the oil holds it's viscosity up to 10K I will continue to change my Mobil 1 20/50 Vtwin Syn at 5K. Just makes little sense to me to buy a $12 filter and then put "dirty" oil through it to save another $24 - $30 for 3 quarts of brand new syn. Regardless of viscosity, which does not necessarily equate to cleanliness, crankcase oil is dirty at 5K or higher no matter how you ride.

I do use 75/90 in my tranny year round down here.

The main thing for your primary is: Proper chain adjustment, proper clutch adjustment, and ensuring the oil level is correct. Whether you use 20/50 syn, HD Primary/tranny oil, or Amsoil Super Shift won't make much difference...they all work fine but won't compensate for any of the above being off.

Which oils you use are going to be a personal choice like many other things with your bike. Regardless.....pay for the best and your bike will appreciate it.....she will purr and rumble as you want her to. GiddyUp..

By the way..I certainly don't claim to know any more, or less, than the other folks in here. I just say what has worked very well for me.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
0043--Licensed to Doof!

Geezer-Glide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusmc View Post
Just my opinion but with or without a paper that says the oil holds it's viscosity up to 10K I will continue to change my Mobil 1 20/50 Vtwin Syn at 5K. Just makes little sense to me to buy a $12 filter and then put "dirty" oil through it to save another $24 - $30 for 3 quarts of brand new syn. Regardless of viscosity, which does not necessarily equate to cleanliness, crankcase oil is dirty at 5K or higher no matter how you ride.

I do use 75/90 in my tranny year round down here.

The main thing for your primary is: Proper chain adjustment, proper clutch adjustment, and ensuring the oil level is correct. Whether you use 20/50 syn, HD Primary/tranny oil, or Amsoil Super Shift won't make much difference...they all work fine but won't compensate for any of the above being off.

Which oils you use are going to be a personal choice like many other things with your bike. Regardless.....pay for the best and your bike will appreciate it.....she will purr and rumble as you want her to. GiddyUp..

By the way..I certainly don't claim to know any more, or less, than the other folks in here. I just say what has worked very well for me.
Sure am glad we ain't startin' one of those Syn vs. Dino pissin' matches here !!

I agree with your above statements.... to a point. The actual point is....... it's your bike, and you take care of her very well. You're happy, I'm happy.
My experience in MY bike, the Super Shift works a little bit better, what with the stroker and other torque-go-fast-goodies I have. Stockers and mild builds, you are quite correct, the above list will work just fine.

By the way, those puppies in your avatar, they yours? Nice looking pups if so.

I Doof, therefore I am.

D.F.F.D

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. YOU MAY NOW RETURN TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING. THANK YOU.
Geezer-Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Herko wants to know Dino or Syn?
All of the good gear lubes will lubricate your tranny just fine.
But, if you want to suppress the chatter of these HD 6 speeds, go with Redline Heavy Shockproof:
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...bCategoryID=16
A superior lubricant as well.
Herko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Phemus

Geezer-Glide...thanks. Yep..those are my boys. Bentley & Merle.
Bentley is the one with the white on his nose and he is the daddy...6 years old. Merle is his son, 3 years old. Merle likes to come get in bed with us very early in the morning. He is very careful when he gets up in bed because we also have a little black chihuahua, Dora, who is the queen bee..and she has the Pit Bulls buffalo'd into believing she is little Miss Bad Ass...come to think of it..she's a little bad ass.

Always happy to share a pic. If you've never been around Pit Bulls...do yourself a favor and get one...you won't be sorry and you will wonder why you waited so long.

I always add a little Mobil 1 20/50 V-Twin Syn to their food for a smooth shiny coat.....not really..but needed to get back on topic. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bentley and Merle Aug 08 007.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	48939  

Last edited by steveusmc; 10-09-2008 at 08:03 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement