'07 FLHT Oil Change : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

zoomlens wants to know Dino or Syn?
'07 FLHT Oil Change

I have never changed the oil in my bike by myslef but am getting tired of the dealer prices. I was told that the oil capacity is 6 quarts. 4 for the engine and 2 for the transmission etc. I know where the oil filler cap for the enging is but is there a seperate filler cap for the transmission? And any gotcha's that I need to be aware of before I undertake this endeavor?
Thanks in Advance
Jim
zoomlens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
You were told wrong. You could try looking in the owner's manual. A HD Service Manual would be a much better solution.

engine oil - 3 1/2 to 4 qts, generally 3 1/2 will do it.
transmission - Approx. 32 oz (if I remember correctly). Should be checked on the
kickstand.
primary - approx 38 oz.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
'05 Road King Classic

ike1518 wants to know Dino or Syn?
There are a lot of little things to remember it seems but here are some that come to mind right away:

1. Have some extra oil bolt gaskets on hand. They're about $0.50 each and when you need one you really need one.

2. Don't overfill the crankcase. The manual may say 4 quarts but don't just blindly dump in 4 quarts. Pour in 3-3.5 quarts then start it and let it run for a couple of minutes looking for leaks and such. If all is good then run it until the oil gets hot then check it again and top off as necessary.

3. You fill the tranny in the hole where the tranny dip stick came out of. Again, don't over fill. I believe tranny should be checked with the bike in the vertical position or see my earlier post on this very topic.

Good luck.
ike1518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

According to the HD service manuals for 07 and 08 touring bikes, transmission should be checked while on the kickstand. Does make a difference. I just serviced a friend's 07 FLHTC Saturday.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

zoomlens wants to know Dino or Syn?
Looks like I am taking it to the dealer until I get all of the required tools.
zoomlens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
FOG

trooper113 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Y
You were told wrong. You could try looking in the owner's manual. A HD Service Manual would be a much better solution.

transmission - Approx. 24 oz (if I remember correctly). Should be checked on the
kickstand.
primary - approx 38 oz.

Your owner's manual has all the information you need for these services. A service manual is, indeed, much better. The SM tells you all you need to know.

trooper113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
'05 Road King Classic

ike1518 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
According to the HD service manuals for 07 and 08 touring bikes, transmission should be checked while on the kickstand. Does make a difference. I just serviced a friend's 07 FLHTC Saturday.
I stand corrected. Being able to check the transmission while on the kickstand then is a huge improvement. Glad to hear they're getting some of the easy stuff right.
ike1518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
repeat offender

Flyin Brian wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

transmission - Approx. 24 oz (if I remember correctly). Should be checked on the
kickstand.
primary - approx 38 oz.

Hey Ed, I always just dump one full Quart in my primary, so I double checked the SM and it says "pour 32 ounces of HD FORMULA PLUS....." so I'm wondering if the 38 ozs you have is for a different year maybe?

This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable sub-atomic resources for future generations.
Flyin Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
repeat offender

Flyin Brian wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomlens
I have never changed the oil in my bike by myslef but am getting tired of the dealer prices. I was told that the oil capacity is 6 quarts. 4 for the engine and 2 for the transmission etc. I know where the oil filler cap for the enging is but is there a seperate filler cap for the transmission? And any gotcha's that I need to be aware of before I undertake this endeavor?
Thanks in Advance
Jim
Jim, the only trick I can suggest is what I like to do with the oil filter. I take a tall plastic soda bottle like a 20 oz Pepsi bottle and cut the bottom of completely, then cut the bottle in half lengthwise. What you end up with is very similar to a scoop. Imagine one of those metal ice scoops like they have in a bar to scoop the ice into the glass.... so I use this plastic scoop to catch the oil under the oil filter. Slide the scoop in front of the shifter peg and all the way up under the filter. Then loosen the filter and all the oil will run down and pool in the neck of the bottle. This seems to work better on the jiffy stand. It may take a few tries to get something that works just right, but the last 2 times I haven't spilled a drop!!

This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable sub-atomic resources for future generations.
Flyin Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Brian
Hey Ed, I always just dump one full Quart in my primary, so I double checked the SM and it says "pour 32 ounces of HD FORMULA PLUS....." so I'm wondering if the 38 ozs you have is for a different year maybe?
You're right on 06 and earlier TC touring bikes. This guy has an 07. It evidently was changed cause of new primary cover design would be my guess.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

03GLIDE_ wants to know Dino or Syn?
Invest in the service manual. The first oil change at home will pay for it.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GLIDE
Invest in the service manual. The first oil change at home will pay for it.
That's the best advice, get a service manual.
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
FNG :)

seidler08dyna wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oil quantity differences, check before you fill.

I change dthe oil in my 08 Dyna today. Glad I chewcked the manual. My 07 FLHT takes 3.7qs motor, 32oz trans and 43oz in Chaincase. Th eDYna takes 3qts motor, 32oz Trans and 32oz in Chaincase. I would guess different covers in the Touring models or deeper oil pan area.
seidler08dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement