What is the CF-4 rating about? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
'05 Road King Classic

ike1518 wants to know Dino or Syn?
What is the CF-4 rating about?

My owner's manual says that if I need oil and can't get a hold of HD brand oil that I should use an oil that is CF-4 rated. However, Mobil-1 V-twin 20W-50 is CF rated, not CF-4.

I called the Mobil-1 hotline and the guy said that indeed they are not CF-4 rated, just CF, but they've never had an issue with Harley Davidson. Somehow this is not very reassuring to me. Can anyone fill me in on the CF/CF-4 rating?
ike1518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 09:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: A Little South of Sanity...A Little North of Reality...
Peacekeeper wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike1518
My owner's manual says that if I need oil and can't get a hold of HD brand oil that I should use an oil that is CF-4 rated. However, Mobil-1 V-twin 20W-50 is CF rated, not CF-4.

I called the Mobil-1 hotline and the guy said that indeed they are not CF-4 rated, just CF, but they've never had an issue with Harley Davidson. Somehow this is not very reassuring to me. Can anyone fill me in on the CF/CF-4 rating?

Your fine.

SA - This is the designation of a plain mineral oil that contains none of the modern additives common currently in lubricants. The SA (only) designation was made obsolete in the 60s.

SB - Lubricating oils that contain anti-wear, anti-oxidation and anti-corrosion inhibitors. This was an early attempt at a moderate to severe conditions oil but is more or less antiquated as of the early 70s, though still the used and sold version of non-detergent oil if that is specified by a manufacturer. Considered now as specific use minimum duty. SC - A time mandated replacement for the SB classifications and ratings, though not a direct replacement for SB due to changing to detergent. It is also now obsolete.

SD - A time mandated replacement for the SC classifications, also now obsolete.

SE - A time mandated replacement for the SD classifications, also now obsolete. This classification offered more protection than the SD group of lubricants and was suitable for extreme and severe use duty applications. This superceded SD but is now also obsolete.

SF - Recommended for late 70s, 1980 - 1989 passenger vehicles. This oil had excellent anti-wear properties and greatly improved anti-oxidation stability over SE lubricants. It is now obsolete.

SG - The SG rating was introduced in 1989 and combined SF with the performance properties of the commercial rating CC (lubricants designed for use in supercharged/turbocharged diesel applications in moderate to severe service). It is also now obsolete.

SH - This superceded SG and was designed for 1996 and older engines. It is now obsolete.

SJ - Introduced in 1996, this rating is still available for all automotive engines currently in use.

SL - Introduced in 2001, SL provides improved overall performance for 2002 model year vehicles, including greatly enhanced anti-oxidation properties, low temperature viscosity as well as other beneficial properties. Also current and does cover all of the SJ qualifications.

For C (Commercial diesel applications), the quality qualifier designations are the same but the popular current ratings are:

CC - Commercial light duty use of diesel engines, such as passenger vehicle engines, with or without supercharger or turbochargers on them.

CF - Designed for use in heavy off road work applications of diesel engines.

CF2 - Designed for use in heavy 2 cycle diesel engines.

CF4 - Designed for use in heavy 4 cycle diesel engines.

Never Forget 10/23/1983
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

FE Butte wants to know Dino or Syn?
And the S stands for spark ignition engines.
While the C stands for compression ignition engines.

Man the odd stuff that's rattling around up there, kinda scary.

The Road Goes On Forever...
It's a Harley: They All Do That.
FE Butte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement