Weird Electrical Problem : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

mcneguy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Weird Electrical Problem

So, I have in the past forgotten to turn my motorcycle off only to come back to find a completely dead battery.

I have not ridden my bike ('08 Ultra) in a couple of weeks due to business trips and general rain here where I live, tomorrow was going to be dry so I decided to start the bike last night so I knew it was going to be good to go in the morning. I turn on the bike (very important piece as I now know that I didn't forget to turn it off), hit the starter and all I get is "CLACK" and everything goes dead.

After uttering several expletives, I remove my seat, take off the ECM cover to expose the battery and run in the house to grab my portable jump start thing. I get back out to the bike and I notice that my security light on the speedo is blinking again so I decide to try and start it. It slowly whirrrs but then starts, I put everything back together, ride it for about 50 miles and it starts once again like normal.

What could possibly be wrong?

2008 105th Anniversary Ultra
SE 254E Cams
103" Big Bore Kit - Build by Doc
Supertrapp Supermegs 2:1 Exhaust
ClearView 10.5" smoke tint with Recurve
Chrome Fork Kit
Polished Rotors
V&H VO2 Air
TTS Mastertune - Tune by Doc
Bright Ass Lights Tail Light
Mustang Super Touring Saddle with Backrest
Boogie Lights Ultimate Engine Kit (orange)
Truck-Lite LED Headlight and Auxiliary Lights
mcneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Barnacle Bill wants to know Dino or Syn?
Electrical gremlins suck to say the least. Remove the battery, fully charge it, clean the terminals and connecters. Take your battery to a reliable shop and have it tested (battery shop or bike shop) could be the battery is going south. Reinstall the battery, use a little vasoline on the terminals to keep down the corrosion. Next thing, buy a battery tender and hook it up AFTER you turn off your bike. (we all have done the same thing, some of us admit to it, most don't.)

For every civilization there comes a moment when a stand must be made against tyranny

The difference between courage and stupidity is measured only by success and survival

Last edited by Barnacle Bill; 12-13-2012 at 07:35 AM. Reason: forgot something
Barnacle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

mcneguy wants to know Dino or Syn?
The battery is less than a year old, doesn't mean it isn't the problem though. I normally have it on a battery tender but I sold my home too quickly, the new one isn't done yet so I am living in a crackerbox apartment and my bike is parked outside every day now so I have no place to plug it in. With the humidity here, it is covered in water every morning but that shouldn't cause this, I wouldn't think at least.

2008 105th Anniversary Ultra
SE 254E Cams
103" Big Bore Kit - Build by Doc
Supertrapp Supermegs 2:1 Exhaust
ClearView 10.5" smoke tint with Recurve
Chrome Fork Kit
Polished Rotors
V&H VO2 Air
TTS Mastertune - Tune by Doc
Bright Ass Lights Tail Light
Mustang Super Touring Saddle with Backrest
Boogie Lights Ultimate Engine Kit (orange)
Truck-Lite LED Headlight and Auxiliary Lights
mcneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Barnacle Bill wants to know Dino or Syn?
After you get it figured out I'd invest in a good cover till your new house is ready. (if you don't have one already) Good Luck

For every civilization there comes a moment when a stand must be made against tyranny

The difference between courage and stupidity is measured only by success and survival
Barnacle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

baggerman11 wants to know Dino or Syn?
wife's battery went bad in 4 days. installed a new battery, charged it, put it on the tender and 4 days later backed it out of the garage, hit the starter, and click. took the battery in and had it tested, it had a bad cell. dealership said that they'd gotten several shipments of bad batteries. went to autozone and bought one, it lasted 2 days. they said the same thing. ordered one online and it's been fine for over a year now. just something to think about. both of the bad ones had bad cells.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
I don't know much about secruity systems. What about a loose battery cable, just a hair will do it. Maybe when you pulled the seat off you bumped it.

To be honest, from what you wrote, I am not overly confident about you.

If it continues , learn how to use a volt meter. 12.7 when it is off. .5 or .7 actually tells you the state of your battery. 14.4 when revved up.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

FXRS84 wants to know Dino or Syn?
start by checking the battery, make sure its ok and charged.
do a search on testing charging system. check with multi meter, testing each component. I had a problem, rode around all day, but at night with lights on, if I
stopped for a minute it would not restart. If you cannot find the test procedure,
PM me I have it some where.
FXRS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Anti-RUB

petrock wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post
What about a loose battery cable, just a hair will do it. Maybe when you pulled the seat off you bumped it.
I suspect this is the issue. Intermittent electrical problems like this are, more often then not, loose/corroded connections or damaged/corroded wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post
12.7 when it is off.
With the bike off, anywhere between 12.4 & 12.8 volts is a fully charged battery. Doesnít mean itís good though. :-) After making sure the battery is charged, when you try to start the bike the voltage drops below 10 volts, then the battery is bad.

Good luck...
Python Staggered Exhaust w/ Quiet Baffles
HD Primary Chain Auto-Tensioner
SE Hydraulic Cam Plate & High-Flow oil pump
SERT

Wish List (in order of "Gotta Have It"-ness):
14" Ape/Gimp Hangers (have, but needs install)
Black Braided Throttle/Fuel/Brake/Clutch lines
Black Powdercoated Fork Sliders and Triple Trees
My Two Front Teeph
petrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Richard001 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Connections

Sounds like a bad connection or corrosion to me. Clean a tighten the starter wire grounds etc.
Richard001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement