spot lites////when are they on : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

keye wants to know Dino or Syn?
spot lites////when are they on

OK have 96 roadking pass summer had short under seat, breaker would flip randomly when sitting down on seat repositioing the wire harness finally stopped the shorting out, I realize that this was not the perfect fix but have had no problems since than, but after all this I lost my high beam light, aways thought a bad h/light today pulled the h/lite and put power to the prongs, high lites work fine, but the connector that attaches to the lite has the neg termanal melted, i assume from the shorting out in the early days, my question is what is the procedure with this lighting system and the spot lites....on low beam the spots are on, and on high beam the spots are off is this the way she suppose to be or do i have a bad wire somewhere still causing a prob thanx
keye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by keye View Post
....on low beam the spots are on, and on high beam the spots are off is this the way she suppose to be...

Yes, that is normal. On for low beam, off on high.

There are ways to rewire it so they are on for both low and high.

rkc
Old 12-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

keye wants to know Dino or Syn?
very cewl...thankyou sir for the resonse, was worried that with the melted ternmal that there was a wire crossed somewhere since it is winter and maintance time, i do plan on backtracking and looking for a bare wire under the seat, it is working now but in reality there is a problem down there, your reply regarding the spots just took a whole lot worry off my thanx again Bro a good one to you and yours
keye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

cata5803 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by keye View Post
very cewl...thankyou sir for the resonse, was worried that with the melted ternmal that there was a wire crossed somewhere since it is winter and maintance time, i do plan on backtracking and looking for a bare wire under the seat, it is working now but in reality there is a problem down there, your reply regarding the spots just took a whole lot worry off my thanx again Bro a good one to you and yours
The melted light plug happens to alot of bikes.. Way it is.. Just find a heavy duty one and replace it..
Old 12-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cata5803 View Post
The melted light plug happens to alot of bikes.. Way it is.. Just find a heavy duty one and replace it..
I doubt your headlight plug meltdown has anything to do with the short under your seat. A good auto supply store should have heavy duty replacement headlight plugs that will do the job.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King Cole View Post

rkc
That's interesting. I never gave it much thought, but my "spot lights" (I've always referred to them as passing lamps) have their own switch on my nacelle. I assumed that was because it is a police model and those would have been pursuit lamps in a previous life.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Yes on the "passing lights" and all RKs have the switch too, but they will still turn off with the high beam.

rkc

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Old 12-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Yes on the "passing lights" and all RKs have the switch too, but they will still turn off with the high beam.

rkc

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
I thought I heard somewhere's that The high beam thing with passing lights is a DOT thing... Please correct me, not possitive
Old 12-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

plongson wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cata5803 View Post
I thought I heard somewhere's that The high beam thing with passing lights is a DOT thing... Please correct me, not possitive
If it's dark enough I need high beams, I really don't care what the DOT thinks...

Mine are wired together and YES it does make a difference.

plongson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by plongson View Post
If it's dark enough I need high beams, I really don't care what the DOT thinks...

Mine are wired together and YES it does make a difference.

I'm not saying thats what you need to do.. You do whats best for you, I support 100%. I personally don't need high beam as much as I just don't do allot of night riding any longer. My eye's aren't like they used to be.. I said DOT because their's regs on just about everything these days. Didn't mean to be miss leading...
Old 12-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:

rkc
They work that way on the Electra Glides as well. Never thought about rewiring them, they seem alright to me. But I'm old and slow down a little at night.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.