Odd electrical problem, stumped and need advice - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

speedfoos wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydbal View Post
Speedfoos, first let me applaud your logic. You are hired!!!
Lots of folks dont have your ability but talk chit about their custom shops. You are a breath of fresh air!!!.

Now,.......... its a dyna custom right? Dash switch? 04?. Ok. The switchh itsrlf will fugg up and ya get a voltage drop even though it all seems fine.
Thanks! I have zero formal training in mechanic work, but there's a trail of broken crap and parts store receipts that litter my life's path. I've learned a little from that so now I think things through before draining my bank account. Occasionally a few of the motors I've built have even ran like raped apes!

Its a Low Rider, so I'm not sure what you mean by dash switch, unless you mean ignition on the dash, which is starting to scratch something at the back of my head.......however if the ignition cuts out, so do the lights and anything else with power since these bikes don't run off a generator (moving motor = power). I know for a fact my lights and everything else were still lit because when the bike was allowed to stall, bumping the start switch (and not messing with the key) made everything go again. If it was a short/corroded contact in the ignition switch itself, I would have lost all power, but I didn't.

Good suggestion, but that's a square peg for this round hole. On a side note, bike was fine all the way in today.

| PHOTOS | TWO WHEELS | FOUR WHEELS |

2004 Dyna FXDLI
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would say cleaning the IAC is what fixed it.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

Topgeye wants to know Dino or Syn?
Some times it's the simple things that will drive you to just wanting to throw it in a ditch. This is not bike related but the same situation.
I bought a Waverunner once. (thank god I got it sold) When I bought it, the battery was bad. I replaced it with a new one and everything was fine. Put it in the water, went about a mile and BEEP BEEP BEEP all the bells and whistles started going off. Took it out and saw that all the codes being thrown were pointed to the ECM. It would start but die within a minute or so. I took it all apart and if anyone else knows anything about a Yamaha Waverunner they know that the ECM is located inside a hole about 2 x 4 inches. All the wires in there look like the interstate system in Minneapolis. I spent at least six hours getting this thing out and back in. I spent many $$ on the new ECM and related parts.
It started right up in the shop so I put it in the water and took off. Went about another mile and the BEEPS started again and this time it plain quit. After a bunch of cussing and yelling I tried the starter and it fired right up and I hauled butt back to shore. The codes were saying the same thing this time too. I was like wtf? I took it back home and started messing with it some. I for whatever reason took out the battery. When I put it back in and hit the starter, it threw codes at me just setting there but would not start. I let it set for most of the summer cause I was pretty pissed at it. I was looking on line for something related to this model and found a repair manual on cd. I bought that and after getting it I immediately found that if the battery was bad it would throw codes related to the ECM. I tested the NEW battery and it checked out sorta low but I figured it was from sitting. I took it back anyway and got another NEW one, put it in and bingo. It fired right up. I put it back in the water and it has ran like a champ ever since. Did I cuss? Quite a bit yes. Why didn't I check the first new battery? Who the hell knows. New is supposed to be good right? Like I said, The simple things will drive you crazy. I do have a used but in good condition ECM for an 02 800 Yamaha Waverunner for sale if anyone is interested.
Willie G mods in some places
American Custom Bomber slip ons
Topgeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

speedfoos wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you remember the movie Sling Blade? The scene I'm thinking about is when the two 'normal' bubbas are standing around trying to figure out why the mower won't run and on a lark they ask Carl, who looks at, unscrews a cap and says, "Needs gas."

| PHOTOS | TWO WHEELS | FOUR WHEELS |

2004 Dyna FXDLI
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
I would have guessed intake manifold leak also. I had very similar symptoms before the leak showed itself.

Next guess might be that the ignition switch itself is wearing out. (been through that one also but I see how you ruled that out now that I have read the second page of posts)

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.

Last edited by <G Man>; 12-06-2012 at 05:44 PM.
<G Man> is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement