LED light strip installation : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired TMCM(SS)

DoctorDee wants to know Dino or Syn?
LED light strip installation

These are the decorative lights that are mounted under the tank or wherever to illuminate the engine and/or chrome. Anyone done this? I'm assuming a direct wire off the battery with an in-line fuse and a on/off switch. Is there a spare fuse that is always HOT to jumper from? What did you all learn that I should know?
DoctorDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
I'm Paid Up...

DR_DEUCE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Correct, a fuse and a switch,......unless you use the ACCESSORY position on the keyswitch. You can still lock the bike and use the lights. I prefer the individual lights, they are more subtle. You won't see them glaring from 1 spot.
DR_DEUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired TMCM(SS)

OK, thanks, my fellow Doctor :-) I'd rather not use the ACC position, either. I've seen guys at rallies doing this install for 400 bucks. I bought a waterproof switch, a fuse, and 15 feet of LEDs for $16. Can't be that hard to install.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
I did a set on my VTX. The kit came with a controller box. and some pods, and instructions for wiring the lights, and positive to the battery, neg to ground. There was a key fob remote. pretty easy.. I would recommend setting up the pods before wiring because the leads. it will just come out cleaner looking.
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

B1gfun wants to know Dino or Syn?
I did this with a bike kit and its really easy. Hardest part is choosing where to stick the lights. Use 3m double side tape and clean surface with alcohol to ensure a good contact. Best done when its warmer out.
B1gfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired TMCM(SS)

Well, I bought enough parts from Ebay (switch and light strips) to do both bikes. Wired it to the battery terminals using extra wires that came with HD global chargers. Cut the ends off the charger lines, replaced the fuse with a 10A, used alcohol to clean and 3M tape to bind. Put 12 inches of lights uner each side of the tank and about 8 inches inside the air cleaner covers (with flame cutouts). Put Orange on my 105th Softail Custom and Green on wife's Deluxe. Came out great, no real problesm. Soldered all connections and used a black waterproof pushbutton switch stuck to the saddleshield up close to the seats. Cost me about 20 bucks for 2 bikes including shrink tubing and all. Just checked Ebay for 12 inch LED strips and there are lots of them with an opening bid of one penny. Easy job and pretty fun.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
FNG :)

peterjbenson wants to know Dino or Syn?
I did the foot boards wired to the ACC fuse

peterjbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement