Radio Installation Test : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

xk49 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Radio Installation Test

I bought a used Radio Tech am/fm radio from a member on this forum. Before I installed it, I wanted to bench test it first. The first thing I do is check the in line fuse for the hot wire on the radio wire harness. It's blown. So, I go get a bunch(just in case) of replacement fuses and lo and behold I pop two more.

I'm attaching the black wire to negative terminal. The red wire and the orange/white wire to positive terminal. As soon as I connect the red and orange/white wire to the battery the fuse pops.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong and what has me worried is the fuse was blown when I received the radio.

Am I not connecting the radio correctly? I know the orange/white is supposed to go to a switch wire, but for testing purposes I think I can go directly to the battery, right?

I have verified that there is no short in the three wires from the battery connections through the deutsch plug connection in the radio wiring harness.

Last edited by xk49; 11-03-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: More testing information
xk49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xk49 View Post
I bought a used Radio Tech am/fm radio from a member on this forum. Before I installed it, I wanted to bench test it first. The first thing I do is check the in line fuse for the hot wire on the radio wire harness. It's blown. So, I go get a bunch(just in case) of replacement fuses and lo and behold I pop two more.

I'm attaching the black wire to negative terminal. The red wire and the orange/white wire to positive terminal. As soon as I connect the red and orange/white wire to the battery the fuse pops.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong and what has me worried is the fuse was blown when I received the radio.

Am I not connecting the radio correctly? I know the orange/white is supposed to go to a switch wire, but for testing purposes I think I can go directly to the battery, right?

I have verified that there is no short in the three wires from the battery connections through the deutsch plug connection in the radio wiring harness.
First off, do you have the correct size fuse??? Did you try just connecting the black to neg and red to pos???

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

SirJYK wants to know Dino or Syn?
orange wire

First off, let me state I do not have any experience with motorcycle radios. Having said that, the orange wire on a car receiver is usually the remote wire that turns on other devices like amplifiers. It shouldn't cause a problem hooking it to +12 volts. But, you shouldn't need to connect it at all.

I hope this helps.

Quote:

1999 California Motorcycle Company Softail Custom, S&S 88, RB Racing pro stock 2-1 exhaust. Super E. Daytona Twin Tec Ignition 1006. Wood W8 cam. New to me 2005 Electra Glide Classic, stock for now, but not for long...
SirJYK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've tried just hooking up just the red and black. The fuse immediately blows no matter which order I connect them in. The radio came with a 5A fuse. I'm using 5A fuses as replacements.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

I completely disassemble the entire unit isolating each component board. I then hooked each board and associated parts. in sequence starting at the radio wire harness. There were three primary boards and some misc compenents(ie. LCD display, push botton interface, relays). I just hooked each one in turn to the wire harness and using the multimeter checking for shorts, nothing obvious. I then disconnected everything again, hooked up the wire harness to a battery then reassembled each component in turn to see which one was going to pop the fuse, nothing?

Radio appears to work now. Didn't change the red,oragne/white, black battery connections. There might have been a poor connection on the circuit boards and I accidentally fixed it as I disassembled and reassembled the parts.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
I completely disassemble the entire unit isolating each component board. I then hooked each board and associated parts. in sequence starting at the radio wire harness. There were three primary boards and some misc compenents(ie. LCD display, push botton interface, relays). I just hooked each one in turn to the wire harness and using the multimeter checking for shorts, nothing obvious. I then disconnected everything again, hooked up the wire harness to a battery then reassembled each component in turn to see which one was going to pop the fuse, nothing?

Radio appears to work now. Didn't change the red,oragne/white, black battery connections. There might have been a poor connection on the circuit boards and I accidentally fixed it as I disassembled and reassembled the parts.
Look closely at the wiring harness where it goes into the case, sounds like more of a short than an open wire.

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.