Weird Front Blinker Issue : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 01:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Krowbar wants to know Dino or Syn?
Weird Front Blinker Issue

So I am rewiring all new blinkers on my FXR.

I bought some of those cheap LED arrow blinkers off ebay to stick to my mirrors. Though it would be a cool look. Anyways, when I wired them up and pressed the blinker button, the rears don't work and the front just stays on, instead of blink (This is an old FXR where you have to HOLD the button down and they blink). When I wired up an older set of blinkers, it works just fine. Only thing I can think of is the difference in wire gauge. The eBay ones has like, ****, 24-26 gauge wiring and my other blinkers are like16-18 gauge.

Would that cause it not to work?

1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Krowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Locodave wants to know Dino or Syn?
All I know on wiring. Is if you change wiring thickness. The thicker wire will use less amps without heating up. That said. The blinker internals use a bi-metal that heats up with an amperage called for on the system. The bi-metal bends and breaks the contac.

Once broke, the bi-metal cools down and bends to make the contac again. An on going process. With the larger size wire, perhaps it's letting less aperage thru and thus. Less amps thru to make the bi-metal work? JMHO.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

LoneEagle964 wants to know Dino or Syn?
with the LED's you will need a load resistor to make the signals work correct there is less resistance with the led so the flasher will not work properly badlands and custom dynamics will both have them .

LoneEagle
LoneEagle964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

OK, do you have links to these?

1985 FXRS: Dyna 2000 ICM, Twin Tec II Single Fire, Mikuni HSR 42mm carb, S&S intake, Progressive 11.5" rear springs, progressive front sprigs, SPF Lightningheader exhaust and bars, rebuilt front forks with brace (lowered back to 25.5"), Arlen Ness fairing, all new electrical, shyt-ton of powder coating etc. etc.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

How many Ohms ya think?

Old 11-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Blackened wants to know Dino or Syn?
Should be 6 ohms, I'd go with 50 watt vs 25 watt as well for better heat management.

OE bulbs draw about 2 amps, formula you want is R=V/I, 12v/2a= 6 ohms. You're going to want to wire these in parallel to the turn signal lamps as well.

Check fleabay for the wirewound resistors, or load equilizers. I've picked them up there before, look for the kind with built in aluminum heat sinks, and don't mount them on or near plastic. They can get pretty toasty.

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

What do you mean to wire them parallel to the turn signal lamps as well?

Old 11-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOAD-RESISTO...3e63e1&vxp=mtr

Something like that will work?

Old 11-04-2012, 01:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Those are perfect, same kind I've used. Work well. As for parallel, you are going to "bridge" across the turn sig circuit pos to neg, not splice in line (series).

Easiest way to do this is to tap splice one lead of the resistor into the Positive lead for the sig and run the other lead to the chassis ground the neg battery term is landed on. Use a ring term for this so you don't have to tap any more wires.

If you can, only tap into the secondary harnesses (after the plugs, on the signal side), try not to hack into the main harness, makes things way easier down the road for diff mods and helps anyone who has to dig into the elec system to troubleshoot.

Also heat shrink any taps with dual wall adhesive heat shrink to keep the moisture out.

Good luck! Hope that helped some.

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special
Old 11-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Didn't notice before, but the auction had the parallel diagram...here you go

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	451823051_tp.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	74664  

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special
Old 11-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Ok, I will order those. Will try to hide the resistors behind the headlight so they aren't visible. Thank you for the help!

Old 11-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Yeah I saw that parallel wiring diagram. haha

Old 11-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowbar View Post
Ok, I will order those. Will try to hide the resistors behind the headlight so they aren't visible. Thank you for the help!
No prob, let us know how it goes! Resistors are about 1-1.5" long so behind the light may not work. I usually end up somewhere around the battery and extend the wires if I need to. IDK, under the sideplates on the FXR might be a good spot too...lol let me know, I picked up a '87 FXRS-SP, if all goes well it (in storage till I close on my new garage...um I mean wifes new house lol) should be this winter's project.

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special

Last edited by Blackened; 11-04-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Awesome. Your Soft tail is really nice too! You'll love the FXR though.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowbar View Post
Awesome. Your Soft tail is really nice too! You'll love the FXR though.
Thanks man, you have some nice bikes too.

Had a '91 FXR, so I already know I'll love it lol! Sold it before I moved to IL, kept the softie since it was/is the only one I ever bought new

mark me up as one of those "wished he hadn't" guys, but hey we all make mistakes

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special
Sponsored Links
Advertisement