04 DYNA charging issue, pls help! : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
I'm Paid Up...

DR_DEUCE wants to know Dino or Syn?
04 DYNA charging issue, pls help!

While checking the charging system, I found:
Stator checks good, 3 coil system, each coil has 20vac at idle, .2ohms resistance on all coils. Decided stator is good.
Regulator puts out 14volts, seems ok. Owner stated that the bike will not start after running it for 1/2 hour, then trying to start it after a lunch break. So I decided to check the amperage from the regulator. I used an inductive meter, tried a reading on each wire coming from regulator,-- manual says one wire goes to fuse, one goes to ground---both are black, so I checked both wires). I only read 17amps. I don't have a 2004 book, but all the other books say 35-50 amps is spec. What confuses me, is that I took the same reading on an 2008 softtail, and only got 21 amps, not 35-50.
Can someone shed some light on this???????????
I am ready to buy a voltage regulator..........
DR_DEUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
I'm Paid Up...

Anyone?????????
Old 10-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

baggerman11 wants to know Dino or Syn?
any chance the solenoid on the starter is sticking???? had that prob with my wife's bike. put in new battery and rode it for a while, wouldn't start when I tried to restart it, luckily was back in the driveway. solenoid was sticking, checked out the entire charging system.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
I'm Paid Up...

Baggerman, thanks for the thought..
I'll pull the 3 screws and clean it up a bit..........don't think thats the problem, but it's easy to do.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

LoneEagle964 wants to know Dino or Syn?
have you load tested the battery ? its possible that it will build a surface charge and start when cold but not have enough left after one start for another.

LoneEagle
LoneEagle964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
I'm Paid Up...

LOAD TESTED, by the owner.........he took it in for checking. Thanks!!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

sporty952 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_DEUCE View Post
While checking the charging system, I found:
Stator checks good, 3 coil system, each coil has 20vac at idle, .2ohms resistance on all coils. Decided stator is good.
Regulator puts out 14volts, seems ok. Owner stated that the bike will not start after running it for 1/2 hour, then trying to start it after a lunch break. So I decided to check the amperage from the regulator. I used an inductive meter, tried a reading on each wire coming from regulator,-- manual says one wire goes to fuse, one goes to ground---both are black, so I checked both wires). I only read 17amps. I don't have a 2004 book, but all the other books say 35-50 amps is spec. What confuses me, is that I took the same reading on an 2008 softtail, and only got 21 amps, not 35-50.
Can someone shed some light on this???????????
I am ready to buy a voltage regulator..........
Methinks we need a lesson in Ohms law...

Why do you expect the REGULATOR to allow peak
charging current through the system all the time?!?

If you're seeing the voltage out on the bike at 14+ volts
what's the problem?

-W
sporty952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

seehogs wants to know Dino or Syn?
The regulator should only allow enough amps to take care of the load needed,
not full pop all the time. I think the regulator on Harley's shunts excess to ground. If the system puts 14 to battery, for checking purposes
that is good. Perhaps, you have a load issue with battery/starter or other.
Put volt meter on battery and start the bike several times. Normal voltage drop I believe is around 1-2 volts.
seehogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
I'm Paid Up...

I did have approx 14volts. There have been instances in the past where there was proper voltage, but not enough current to run a device...........the current was evidently consumed going thru a bad connector. I am just trying to verify proper operation before returning the bike. The manual has both a current output and a voltage output test...........maybe the current output test needs a more substantial load ............but I didn't see it in the write up.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Bad Disposition wants to know Dino or Syn?
Charging issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by seehogs View Post
The regulator should only allow enough amps to take care of the load needed,
not full pop all the time. I think the regulator on Harley's shunts excess to ground. If the system puts 14 to battery, for checking purposes
that is good. Perhaps, you have a load issue with battery/starter or other.
Put volt meter on battery and start the bike several times. Normal voltage drop I believe is around 1-2 volts.
^^^^^^^^^^^So with that said, If before I added LED's the Voltage Guage stayed at 14, then after I added LED's, and ran the bike for 4 hours, the guage dropped to 12, is that normal?

After 4 hours, would the LEDS normally draw down 2 Volts and cause the warning lights to periodicaly come on after running at freeway speeds?

I am load testing the battery today.

BD
Bad Disposition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

sporty952 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Disposition View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^So with that said, If before I added LED's the Voltage Gauge stayed at 14, then after I added LED's, and ran the bike for 4 hours, the gauge dropped to 12, is that normal?
How many LEDs did you add!!!
Quote:
After 4 hours, would the LEDS normally draw down 2 Volts and cause the warning lights to periodically come on after running at freeway speeds?

I am load testing the battery today.

BD
sporty952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement