Check Engine Light questions : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 07:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Banjo5 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check Engine Light questions

I've got an 08 Ultra that I've had for about a year. This weekend I took a trip up to Milwaukee, pulling my trailer, which is about a 900 mile trip for me. On the way up there, during a fuel stop, I noticed my check engine light was coming on with the ignition switch (like it's supposed to) then it goes out, like it's supposed to. But then about 5 seconds later it comes on again, or when I start is it comes on, but then goes out after about 5 seconds. So I took it to a dealer to have him read the code, (because I didn't know how easy it was to do myself). It came up as a battery over voltage, I don't remember the code number. I guess it indicates a measured voltage of greater than 16 volts. Anyway, he cleared the code and we came on home. At the first fuel stop, the CE light came back again but only for a few seconds, then went out again. When I got home, I entered the diagnostic mode and there is no code in there, but the light is doing the same thing. So here are my questions;

Why would I get the returning CE light if the code is not in there?

Could my trailer have caused a wierd ground loop or something? I have the Kyreakin (sp?) trailer isolator kit installed and the lights work flawlessley.

Is it anything to worry about? Is it something that could have been there all along and I just never noticed it comeing back on after I start it? (I highly doubt this. I am paranoid about lights and gauges and noises, etc.)
Banjo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

UltraNutz wants to know Dino or Syn?
when you remove the trailer from the equation do you still have the issue?
UltraNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I have disconnected the trailer and it makes no difference. Now, there are no codes, yet I still get the check engine light when I turn the ignition on, then it goes out for a few seconds, then comes back on for a few seconds, then goes out and stays out. No codes are showing up in the diagnostic mode. Any suggestions?
Old 09-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

when your check engine light comes on at ignition, then goes off, comes back on, then goes off again and stays off, this is an indication of a stored code from a previous issue it had.
check here for proper procedure to clear stored codes.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

This is what's odd. There are no codes displaying currently. I understand the light coming on and off and on and off is a history code. I have cleared the code using the procedure you pointed out, but I still get the CE light. I read a thread somewhere that said only th ecode reader (that Harley has) can clear a history code, or it will clear itself after 50 cycles. Is that 50 ignition cycles?
Old 09-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bon temps rouler!

mfalba wants to know Dino or Syn?
Happens to me every now and then, usually when I've messed with something electrical without first disconnecting my battery.

Check engine light comes back on for about 5 seconds after the engine starts and then goes out. I never worry about it, just keep riding until it resets.

Whether it's riding or ignition cycles I don't know, but I'm not about to sit there and turn my ignition on and off 50 times in a row just to make the light go out.

2002 FLHPI: SE Cast 95" Flat tops, Heads by Bean, Stock TB Bored by Hillside, Andrews TW21, Supertrapp SuperMeg 20 disks w/endcap, Jagg Oil Cooler, Glide Pro Stabilizing System, Seat by Mean City, Windshield by Cee-Bailey.

2006 FLSTCI: SE Cast 95" 10.25:1, Super Stock Heads by Dan Baisley, 50mm SE TB, Woods TW6G, D&D Fat Cat with QB, Jagg Oil Cooler, Seat by Mean City, Windshield by Cee-Bailey
mfalba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Let's try this real quick.
1. Key off and stop/run switch to run
2. Hold odometer trip reset button in while turning ignition key to on. The speedometer will sweep as entering diag mode.
3. Odometer should now read diag
4. Cycle through each of the four P, S, SP, and T modules by pressing the reset button.
5. While cycling through each module, hold down the trip/reset button for 5 seconds
6. You will either see "none" or the historic code and some part #s if there is a historic fault.
7. When/if you locate the faulty module, hold trip reset button in for five seconds again and it should then read "clear".
8. Turn ignition key to off and stop/run switch to off. [/FONT]

On a side note:
I did see this a while back while riding in the hill country around austin and san antonio. Friend of mine experienced the same thing after about a 1.5 hour run we made. As you stated, odd thing was there was no code present, either historic or current. So I started jacking around with things and just happened to pull on a spark plug wire and it popped right off the plug. I checked it out, the connector was loose so I squeezed it together with pliers and put it back on. Problem dissappeared.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bon temps rouler!

mfalba wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just a thought.

Seems like your trailer is the culprit since you did not throw an error code and have a check engine light issue until you used it.

If your trailer's electrical is not hooked up to a dedicated circuit, and the same accessory is powering other devices you could get a Battery over voltage error code.

Ride around until your check engine light resets, then hook up the trailer and see if the same issue occurs. If it does then I would rewire the trailer.

The check engine light coming on after start and then going out isn't a big deal. The dealer didn't seem to be concerned, and you could drive yourself crazy trying to chase an error code that you may never find.

2002 FLHPI: SE Cast 95" Flat tops, Heads by Bean, Stock TB Bored by Hillside, Andrews TW21, Supertrapp SuperMeg 20 disks w/endcap, Jagg Oil Cooler, Glide Pro Stabilizing System, Seat by Mean City, Windshield by Cee-Bailey.

2006 FLSTCI: SE Cast 95" 10.25:1, Super Stock Heads by Dan Baisley, 50mm SE TB, Woods TW6G, D&D Fat Cat with QB, Jagg Oil Cooler, Seat by Mean City, Windshield by Cee-Bailey

Last edited by mfalba; 09-13-2011 at 05:36 PM.
mfalba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Sounds like good advice Mike. To be honest, I can't remember where I connected the trailer isolator. I think I connected it directly to the battery. I'll just wait for the light to reset itself and see if I can get it to come back with the trailer. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement