Won't charge battery. Stator or Regulator? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

2006flhtci wants to know Dino or Syn?
Won't charge battery. Stator or Regulator?

Buddy has a ’05 Heritage that won’t charge the battery. Originally he thought it was the battery so he replaced it (Original Battery). Last weekend after an all-day ride it was dead at the last place we stopped. Push started it and got it home. Runs fine, lights work, blah, blah, blah.

Stator or voltage regulator? And how to determine which one?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Zwiehund wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check the book. Stator plug on left front has specific AC output, if thats OK when all hooked up should get 14 about at the battery at 2000.
2004 FLHTCI with Khromewerks Mufflers, Fullsac headers, Stage I Download, Dobeck TFI, Big Sucker, Saddlemen Gel Seat, Windvest Windshield, Cruise, HD Stainless Pullbacks, Throttle-Up Touring Stabilizer, Andrews 21N Cams, Herko Hydraulic Tensioner Upgrade Kit, Hogtunes Sound.

A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem.

Albert Einstein
Zwiehund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

autoworker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Try this.Remove the inspection cover or derby cover on the primary and take a good whiff.If it smells like burnt hell it's most likely the stator.If no odor then break out the test equipment.
autoworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

pulidog wants to know Dino or Syn?
The manual really spells out the test procedure. The sniff test does work especially if the stator is fried.
If it is the stator I would replace both Stator and Regulator.
pulidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

ADVNTR wants to know Dino or Syn?
try an old concept
factory service manual & troubleshooting.

Or the internet shotgun will work
ADVNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

2006flhtci wants to know Dino or Syn?
Been to 4 dealers and no one has a manual for his bike. Guess he’s just going to have to order one. Will do the sniff test this afternoon to get an idea if it is the stator.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
Rev the engine, with meter on DC volts, battery should be around 14.4

Unplug the stator. If your having charging problems, might be good to put it on a charger first.

2006 is three phase, I've only done single, but it should be similar, except you need to know which pins to read between. But the voltage, this time AC, will go up with RPMs. Electrical manual will tell you what values it should be at what rpms.

If thats funny, you can read ohms between phases, and ohm each phase to ground. I think you should have high resistance phase to ground, and a certain value phase to phase.

Your battery should be around 12.7, the .7 is important and may need to get a meter that can read that.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement