headlight replacement bulb? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

driftgirl wants to know Dino or Syn?
headlight replacement bulb?

hi guys/gals, I want to replace my headlight bulb with a brighter light. I have a 2008 HD Street Glide and I am looking though my manual for the replacement bulb part# and I cant find it.

Is it a H-4 or H-11 I asked the guy at Phat Performance and he wasn't sure which one it was and said it should be in my manual but its not.

Can someone tell me ? Thank you ..

2008 HD Street Glide .. got some stuff done ..
driftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Anti-RUB

petrock wants to know Dino or Syn?
My ride takes am H4. Sylvania makes one in their Silverstar and Silverstar Ultra models. You can get them at most auto parts stores. They aren't cheap, but they provide a lot of light. I've very happy with them. Good luck...
Python Staggered Exhaust w/ Quiet Baffles
HD Primary Chain Auto-Tensioner
SE Hydraulic Cam Plate & High-Flow oil pump
SERT

Wish List (in order of "Gotta Have It"-ness):
14" Ape/Gimp Hangers (have, but needs install)
Black Braided Throttle/Fuel/Brake/Clutch lines
Black Powdercoated Fork Sliders and Triple Trees
My Two Front Teeph
petrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrock View Post
My ride takes am H4. Sylvania makes one in their Silverstar and Silverstar Ultra models. You can get them at most auto parts stores. They aren't cheap, but they provide a lot of light. I've very happy with them. Good luck...
Thank you, I was thinking it was the H4 ..

Old 01-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Coolmaker wants to know Dino or Syn?
H-4 Silverstar does a good job...
Old 01-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Texas Tom wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just put in the PIAA anti vibration bulb I think its the same as sylvanias two in the package for 76$ ,anywho it made a diff over stock quite a bit brighter I also discovered my headlight was aimed horribly wrong from factory dont know how I could see anything.Now since you dont have driving lights if you want even more light look into some of the HID lights a friend of mine has one really puts out a lot more light,they run around 200$ ....
Texas Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

TIMTOOLMAN wants to know Dino or Syn?
I got a H.I.D. unit 55/35 from ddm for $46.00 lifetime warranty on everything, 5000k bulb, better light than an halogen, Hemerick Performance has them as well as H.I.D. passing lights, $250.00 for them and headlight as a pkg, They have utube videos on their night time performance.
HID use less amps. to maintain brighter light, Just stay away from harleys HID it sucks and is expensive
hillside stage 5 2nd gen heads
woods 400-6 cams
woods directional lifters
H.P.I. 58/58 T.B. with 1.800 intake runners.
6.2 injectors
s&s p rods
woods billet rocker supports, .030 offset
Rush Wrath 2-1
S.E.cam plate S.E. H.V. oil pump
Axtell oil bypass mod
tts Tuner
doherty p/p intake modified for hillside big green air filter
S.E. compensator
30 tooth pulley
big sky dual oil cooler fans
HTCS AW/SW USN RET

Last edited by TIMTOOLMAN; 01-19-2011 at 11:06 AM.
TIMTOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

I got the Philips Motovision Headlight light for 19.99 at cycle gear.

Its pretty bright, and I like the orange tint on the low beam it matches my smoked driving lights .. and then when I switch it to high beam, man its really bright .. even on low beam its brighter than my stock one.

I use to have one of those super bright headlights when I had my Honda Vtx .. but I wanted to try something a bit different .. I'll give a review after this weekend. I am riding Saturday and I know we will be riding in the dark for about an hour getting home.

Thanks for all the suggestions .. if I end up not liking this headlight I may get the PIAA which I had before.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

nvsteve wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftgirl View Post
I got the Philips Motovision Headlight light for 19.99 at cycle gear.

Its pretty bright, and I like the orange tint on the low beam it matches my smoked driving lights .. and then when I switch it to high beam, man its really bright .. even on low beam its brighter than my stock one.

I use to have one of those super bright headlights when I had my Honda Vtx .. but I wanted to try something a bit different .. I'll give a review after this weekend. I am riding Saturday and I know we will be riding in the dark for about an hour getting home.

Thanks for all the suggestions .. if I end up not liking this headlight I may get the PIAA which I had before.
Do you have a part # for the Phillips light?
nvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

btsom wants to know Dino or Syn?
You might want to check the bulb life markings on the Silverstar bulb packages. They seem to indicate the trade off between brightness and bulb life, the brighter bulbs don't last as long. And, unfortunately, the brightest are the most expensive and shortest lived. I have never seen an HID for $20 before, if accurate, that seems a remarkable buy. Isn't there a power supply of some sort needed to make those work? The LEDs are very high performance, but very expensive, they seem to require a specialized reflector assembly along with the special "bulb". $450 is what I have seen just for the headlight kit.
btsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

LowRiderCustom wants to know Dino or Syn?
TIMTOOLMAN did you install the HID kit? If so did you have to drill out the headlight to accept the larger HID connectors? I want to put a HID kit on my bike but my headlight has a small hole where the wires go into it, and I'm not to keen about making the hole larger.
LowRiderCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement