Speedometer not working : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

gsgtrman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Speedometer not working

Hey - I have a 2004 FXSTI. My speedometer (stock) stopped working. I did a search here and elsewhere to see if this was a common problem, but based on what I have read, mine is a little different. The ONLY thing that is not working is the speedometer. When I turn the ignition on, the needle shakes a little bit. If I switch it to ACC, it sweeps all the way around until it is pointing straight down, at which point it will gradually work its way back to almost zero while I am riding.
My odometer and tripometers are fine. All other electrical functions are fine - no problems with the turn signals canceling, all other indicator lights are working, the speedo backlight is ok, no problems idling or running. I changed the speed sensor and that did not fix the problem. I checked the electrical connections (including the battery), unplugged and plugged back in, this didn't fix it either. Any ideas before I resign myself to a new speedometer?
Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

WEINERDOGBONE wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm not an expert but, my old NT did that exact same thing when the tramsmission speed sensor went out. It costs about $50 and is on the lower right side of your bike if memory serves. It's been a while but it was an easyfix once someone told me what it was.

It's a little round black thing about the size of a quarter and it has a lead that is 6 inches or so long. I'm try to remember exactly where it is and I am drawing a blank.
WEINERDOGBONE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Acquisitions

dynageno is reading this now saying WTF is this?
It may just need cleaning, but that is a good place to start.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I already replaced the speed sensor.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

SAFXDL is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I would re-check the speed sensor wiring............

Proud Parent of a Son serving his country

'08 FLHPI, 103, SERT, Fatcat 2/1 Black, Reckless Fairing w/tunes.

SAFXDL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Found it. I disconnected the speedometer connection, cleaned and put dielectric grease on the connection, put it back together, and it works now. Apparently I got some corrosion on the contact in the connector. Seems to be working fine.
Thanks for all the input.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
FNG :)

harleyairman wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the same problem on my FXST

Which connector did you cleaned and put the dielectric grease on? the one on the speedo it self or the one on the sensor? I have tried everything but replacing the speedo or cleaning the connectors. Any help will be greatly appreciated I am tired of riding "blind" of my speed...
harleyairman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

still the same

I cleaned all the connectors and put dielectric grease on all of them and the speedo still does the same darn thing...? any ideas anyone ?
Old 09-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

My problem actually came back and wouldn't go away this time. I checked all of the connections under the hood again, and under the tank; I checked all of the grounds to make sure they were ok. Nothing worked. I talked about all possibilities with my indy repair guy, and with all of those other possibilities not fixing the problem, we decided to just replace the speedometer. The only thing that was wrong was that the needle wouldn't read; I had no problems with the odometer or the self-cancelling turn signals (which would indicate a sensor problem if they were there). From what my tech told me, the speedometer he ordered is on its third revision... If you have none of the other problems, you need a new speedometer. $271 retail... I decided to go for it, because I don't like riding around blind either, and I know that my "comfort zone" speed-wise is usually higher than the speed limit. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgtrman View Post
My problem actually came back and wouldn't go away this time. I checked all of the connections under the hood again, and under the tank; I checked all of the grounds to make sure they were ok. Nothing worked. I talked about all possibilities with my indy repair guy, and with all of those other possibilities not fixing the problem, we decided to just replace the speedometer. The only thing that was wrong was that the needle wouldn't read; I had no problems with the odometer or the self-cancelling turn signals (which would indicate a sensor problem if they were there). From what my tech told me, the speedometer he ordered is on its third revision... If you have none of the other problems, you need a new speedometer. $271 retail... I decided to go for it, because I don't like riding around blind either, and I know that my "comfort zone" speed-wise is usually higher than the speed limit. Good luck.

Did replacing the speedo fix the issue...?
Old 09-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyairman View Post
Did replacing the speedo fix the issue...?
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. New speedometer. Problem solved.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgtrman View Post
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. New speedometer. Problem solved.

Same here, I replaced with a new one and everything is back in order, thanks!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #13 (permalink)

galtgulch wants to know Dino or Syn?
Electronic speedometer problem

For other speedometer - inop issues out there: I had a speedo-inop problem - checked the forum for info - cleaned off the metal shavings, and re-seated both connectors first - no help. Replaced the speed sensor (@ $63 from Bike-Bandit), and it worked for one short test-ride, the day before we went to Thunder Beach - where it was totally intermittent for both days. Got home and put the VOM on the wiring. There is NO resistance between any of the pins on the sensor - so I'm not certain how it works; expected two wires as with typical magnetic pickup, but wire-diagram has +12v, Gnd, and Sense. Checked at sensor connector, and had good 12v, (there's no way to check "Sense") but ground, through the speedo showed over 4000 ohms resistance (expecting 0 ohms). Re-set connector at speedo - changed resistance reading a bit, but not much. At speedo, took the pin-guide off the connector in order to access the female pins, and used an 18-ga. nail-gun nail - perfect fit - (after using fine sandpaper to remove adhesive, and rough up the nail) to insert in the pins to clean them. Cleaned both male and female pins in both connectors with contact cleaner - checked resistance again, and it was now 200 ohms - order of magnitude less. Reassembled connectors, and it's been working OK for three weeks now. If it goes south once more, I'm going to check ground resistance, and if bad again, I'll add a jumper from the cable (near the the sensor-end connector), direct to the battery ground. Might be something to check before you go out an spend a couple of bills on a speedo, or $70-80 on a speed sensor. Like I said, there is NO resistance between pins on the new sensor, so it's likely plenty of these things are thrown away when it's only a high resistance in the connection to the speedo (brought back to "temporarily functional" when the connectors are re-set). Just a "FWIW" for anyone else who's having electronic speedo problems...
galtgulch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.