Charging system works when it wants to : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

kisertl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Charging system works when it wants to

This is my first bike and my first time at the forum so bear with me, I've got an 02 classic and last Monday going to work I lost all power to my gauges and as long as I had the engine at high RPM's it ran fine until I got to work, no blinkers and it tried to die. I found the battery was dead and after charging it up I found the bike charging system wasn't working. did the stator test, tested each lead to ground, good. tested continuity in the stator leats, less the .5 ohms, good. when I did the AC voltage out test on the stator it only showed 10 AC volts no matter what the RPM was. I tested this for two days while the bike was stuck at work and everything pointed to the stator. Had it trailored to the shop and they checked it and said they found nothing wrong and it wa charging fine. Any possible anwsers? connections are good, no broken wires and no corrosion.
kisertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

blkfalc4 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Stator output should be 30-40VAC. Stator is fried if only 10VAC.
Fullsac 'X' pipe and recore muffs
TTS
'013' BMW K1600GTL
blkfalc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

60195 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree. Maybe the tech at the shop you took it to didn't know what he was doing.

You need a second opinion. Why not your own? This is an easy fix. Go buy the shop manual for your bike. The charging trouble shooting steps are laid out fairly well.
60195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

nixons92fxr wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had a problem with my 92 evo where my batt would charge whenever it wanted. Go figure, had run the gauntlet of tests and everything was up to par. It turned out to be the connections where the stator female connector into the regulator male connector. I am guessing after unplugging and plugging in the regulator that the 2 connectors lost its good connection. Meaning the female opened up and or maybe the male got bent closed up. I just opened male just a little and closed the female just a little. I mean who knows what was done to the bike being it was owned by 2 other owners. Just a thought.
nixons92fxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Locodave wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixons92fxr View Post
I had a problem with my 92 evo where my batt would charge whenever it wanted. Go figure, had run the gauntlet of tests and everything was up to par. It turned out to be the connections where the stator female connector into the regulator male connector. I am guessing after unplugging and plugging in the regulator that the 2 connectors lost its good connection. Meaning the female opened up and or maybe the male got bent closed up. I just opened male just a little and closed the female just a little. I mean who knows what was done to the bike being it was owned by 2 other owners. Just a thought.
Good thought. To add. Check with an ohm meter. Battery ground to frame. 0.0 ohms is a great connection. 2.0 to 4-5.0 is getting marginal. Over that. Get to the lower 6.0 to teens as in 17.0 ohms. A bad ground. Jmho. Dave
Old 05-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Bob Smith wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you replace the stator, i would put in a higher output stater since you have an ultra. then you can be comfortable if you put on more electrical gagets. you can do it yourself and save some dough enough to replace the voltage regulator also. the be confident it is all working good.
Bob Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

kisertl wants to know Dino or Syn?
all good anwsers and I thank you all. I realize now that I know more about a Harley by reviewing the tech manual for 30 min. then the mechanic will ever know. OK I plan on changing the stator but with an upgrade. I read that Cycle Electric has the best 3 phase system going but I can't find a dealer. I'm looking for kit number CE-84T-99 its for 99 to 05 FHLT carberated. Any ideas
thanks all
kisertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

two-dogs wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hey there kisertl I see you are replacing your stator, just wanted to know if you found a after market stator for your bike. My wife has a 2008 flstci and stator is shot at 20,000 and want to get a better one then Harley has. I myself had to replace my stator 3 times now on my 03 flstci they only seem to last 50,000 or so. Just wanted to know what you used to get yours going.........thanks...two-dogs
two-dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

dcfatboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
I went with a Cycle Electric alternator kit from Dennis Kirk. (I got CE-84T-04 for my 04 Ultra.)

04 FLHTCUI in lava red sunglo
HID headlamp from Motorcycle Metal
Daniel Stern Lighting
Cycle Electric 50A Charging System
AMS 96" BB, Heads and Lifters
Cometic .040 head gasket
Andrews 26G cams
Bassani Tru-Duals
Rush Slash Down mufflers (2.0" baffles)
Arlen Ness Big Sucker with SE backplate
Power Commander V with AutoTune, LCD display
82.44 HP, 97.59 TQ (5th gear, PCIII USB)
87 octane gas
dcfatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

two-dogs wants to know Dino or Syn?
dcfatboy I will check it out thanks for the info and the reply. I am hoping that this is better then the stock one's that harley puts on. I think it is totally ridiculous you only get 20,000 out of there stators. Pretty sad you pay big bucks for a ride and only get a year before you have to work on it..........two-dogs
two-dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
Call Phil at this shop. I believe he can get you the Cycle Electrics setup.

LOOK HERE
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement