Voltage Regulator only need to be replaced? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

diiulio wants to know Dino or Syn?
Voltage Regulator only need to be replaced?

I have gone through the electrical diagnostic check for the charging system. I think based on the results only the regulator is bad, but also have another question.

1. My bike (2000 springer softail) was dead, clicking when trying to start. So I replaced the battery, took it for an hour ride and it wouldn't start when I arrived to my destination. Popped the clutch and drove it home.

2. Arrived home, pulled battery because it only had about 11 volts dc. I charged it and then replaced it back in the bike.

3. Testing results:
Battery after charging 12.5 volts
Stator - full resistance between each pin and ground, continuity between the two pins (read something crazy like 300 M Ohms, but it read continuity)
Stator - when bike is running, reading across the pins I get about 25 volts and rev it a little I get 35 volts.
Regulator - I get .5 and .7 volts across each pin and ground when the bike is off.

Now, this leaves me with two questions:
1. Replace just the regulator or regulator and stator?
2. Funny thing when I disconnected the stator from the regulator oil leaked out of both connectors. Obviously this was coming from the primary/stator side. Is this normal or is there something wrong? It didn't leak out of the plug until I disconnected them.

Thanks for your time. Feedback please.
Jason
diiulio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

bagga wants to know Dino or Syn?
if the stator is good why would you replace it? just fix what needs fixin'.
bagga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

berserker is still riding a stock bike berserker is still riding a stock bike
Not sure if300M ohms is continiuty, its close to being open.

35 volts ac from the stator doesn't seem right, but I can't remember. The manual will tell you how many volts per RPM. I don't have a tach, and just checked ballpark.

Volt regs can spike, if they do you may see burnt out bulbs, that are black.

How many volts DC at the battery when running? Should be around 14.4. 12.5-12.8 not running.

Regulator is alot easier to replace then stator.

Are you saying oil came out of the wires?? or the gromet? My grommets been leaking for a few years. Harleys leak oil. If you think you are getting due for a belt, since 2000, I would do stator, if you take primary off.
Helmets are like rubbers you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't.-Me
Sometimes I think its a sin, when I feel like I am winning when I am losing again.-GL
2001 FLHR, 98"
2007 FLHTCU
berserker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

1949shoebox wants to know Dino or Syn?
if you have a voltmeter put the ground on the motor case and touch each prong to the regulator plug with the positive end. if you get any reading the reg has grounded out and replace ... dont have to replace the stator.
1949shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

I am going to replace the regulator because the stator kicks out the proper volts while running, but I get a reading on both prongs of the regulator when the other end is grounded.

Yes, the oil leaks out of the stator plug itself (when not connected to regulator) when I tilt it down or horizontal, it is draining from the primary. I am going to try to figure out how to pull the plug apart and try to RTV gasket seal it together because I am thinking oil filling the plug isn't very good and possibly is what shorted out the regulator.

Any ideas on fixing the leaking plug? I am sure oil is syphoning between the wire and insulation and into the plug.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Evil Clown

luvstoride is reading this now saying WTF is this? luvstoride is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Is it possible you just got a bad battery?
Helmets: Let those who ride decide.
Stop feeding the trolls!
luvstoride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

No because when I tested the regulator it failed. I had readings on each of the prongs when there shouldn't be any.

My question is now about oil leaking from the plug and how people have corrected this issue.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Danglide wants to know Dino or Syn?
replace the regulator then see what ya got

2002 Superglide
2012 Road glide Ultra T-header,T-max,Tuned Induction
Danglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.