Turn Signal Issue after troubleshooting : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

cannibal wants to know Dino or Syn?
Turn Signal Issue after troubleshooting

OK-maybe some of you have been following my problem. It's still unsolved.
Here's the problem, left side rear lights up, but no flash, while the front just stays on the running light circuit (no change)

Here's what I have done so far.
I checked all the bulbs and switched from left to right side-no change.
Pulled wiring harness out of frame to check handlebar switch control wiring by switching left side and right side plugs. Right side triggered by left side controls works, left side triggered by right side controls-same problem. So that rules out the wiring from the controls to the plug in the frame harness.
This led me to believe that the only thing left is the Turn Signal Module ($150!!!), so I bought this non-refundable item, plugged it in, SAME PROBLEM!!!
The only thing else I could think of is wiring from the rear left light up to the in frame plug that connects to the handlebar switch. OR, is there something else I am missing!?!?!?!?
Needless to say, I'm out $150 (which I really couldn't afford to throw away right now) and I still have the same problem.

HELP PlEASE, or it goes to the dealer, WHICH I HATE TO HAVE TO DO!
cannibal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

I looked at the wiring from the left signal under the rear fender and it looks ok. I didn't pull it all out, just looked at the exposed wiring around the taillight housing. There were no signs of cuts or abrasion or anything. I also tried wiggling the wires with the turn signal depressed (remember the light comes on, but no flash) with no luck.

I don't have the schematics for this bike 2000 dyna, but I do for a 2001 Road King. I tried to follow the scehmatic to see if there is anything else inline that could have gone bad, but other than the fuse (which I also checked) I don't see anything.

I'm trying to understand how the circuit works. There is a signal going to the light when the button is pressed, after all it lights up, but there is no flashing signal. What gives?
Old 05-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Checked for voltage at two places. Took apart the plug under the seat that goes to all the rear lights. There is voltage for both signals at the plug. Then I pulled the bulbs out, and check for voltage there. There is voltage at the bulb socket when the button is depressed, that explains why the bulb lights up (no flash). So.... It seems like everything is ok, but still NO FLASHING on the right side!!!!!!

Anyone who knows anything about these electrical circuits, please helppppppp..........
Old 05-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

HKSkully wants to know Dino or Syn?
What happens when you try to activate hazard flashers (both turn signal buttons at the same time?)
HKSkully is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

PROBLEM FOUND!!!!! Could've been fixed for $0, lesson learned. Cost of lesson, $150!

Anyway, I start backprobing the connectors looking for voltage. I found out that the 2 terminals in the front light bulb socket are 1) constant, 2) flashing (constant voltage). There is voltage to the flashing terminal only when the turn signal button is pressed.
My test showed no votage at the socket but full voltage at the plug, therefore, the problem was in the 12" of wire between the plug and the socket. The 3 wires are protected by a black sleeve and about 6" from the light housing there are some shrink wrapped solder joints. (I don't know if that's factory or not, I'm the second owner). I pulled back the plastic sleeving and found that the purple wire (flashing) was loose and fell out of the shrink wrap. I just pushed it back in (to test) and it started flashing! So, I need to resolder and shrinkwrap.

Possible cause: I use bungee chords around the handlebars for a roll bag on trips or sweaters, etc.... I usually try to avoid the wiring, but accidents happen. Maybe it got caught under the bungee and wiggled itself loose.

I really wish I had done more extensive troubleshooting before buying the damn module!

Thanks to all of those who read my posts and HKSkully for actually responding. Anyway, there's some useful info that may help others in the future.

Last edited by cannibal; 05-09-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

HKSkully, to answer your Q, no, the hazards did not make the left side front flash. Now, we know why....
Old 05-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

HKSkully wants to know Dino or Syn?
Glad you found it. It's usually some simple little thing that gets overlooked. Not having a diagram to go by really makes it difficult.
HKSkully is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

chicagobob12 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Right Turn Signal on Dyna FXDS Convertible

Cannibal,

I don't know if you are still on this forum, but I am gonna bet you are, I am having pretty much the same problem you were having with your Dyna or Softail turn signals. My problem is a little different in the fact that I have voltage on both contacts in the bulb receptical. if the turn signal switch is off (deactivated, I lose power on the purple wire as it should be, but if the switch is on, then I have power on both contacts, but the right signal just comes on steady bright and does not flash. The really weird part is that both sides flash as they should when you put on the emergency flashers. I am chaniging out the turn signals, but I have had this problem since I bought this bike, it is the only thing wrong with it. Help me so I don't have to go to the dealer, don't want to have to mortgage this dump I live in. Thanks for anyone who can help. Chicago Bob. Vista Calif 92084
chicagobob12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2010, 01:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
FNG :)

chicagobob12 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Harley Dyna glide right turn signal problem

I am having the same problems with my '97 Dyna Glide. I have had this problem since owning the bike. The right signal lights brightly when the turn signal button is depressed, but the filiment just burns bright, there is no flashing. I have read the contacts in the bulb receptical and with the putton depressed I have 12VDC on both contacts. When I release the button (I am not holding the button down just momnetarily depressing the button. If I hit the emergency flashers, both sides blink, but if I only slect the right turn signal, the flashing element just stys on constant and bright. I live in southern claifornia, so if there is someone near by, I will pay anyone $100 to get this lousey circuit working, I love Harleys, but their electrics is archaic, I am an electrician by trade and I can't figure out this Byzantine POS wiring. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, I have already disconnected the plug underneath the seat and cleaned it out with contact cleaner and checked voltages. I have power on the blue wire, but I don't seem to have power on the purple wire, these are the running lights and the flasher contacts at the bilb receptical. Let me know what you think, I'f you can fix this over the computer, I will still pay the $100. Thanks again, I sure hope someone comes back onto this forum, it seems like a ghost town here. Thanks Chicago Bob.
chicagobob12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Ltank wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 2000 Harley FXR4. Bilinkers or 4 way flashers dont' lite.
Checked all the bulbs were good. .5ohm and 2 ohm on the 1157 bulbs.
Checked voltage to Turn Signal Module 68540-96. #1 Gnd, #2 +12vdc, power is good.
#5 +12vdc speedo input, #7 Right Turn command 11.8 vdc, #8 left turn command 11.8v
There was not any output to blinkers on pins #3 RT and #4 LT.
Removed Module from bike. tested on bench with powersupply , test bulb loads, input commands to #8 and #8 and bulbs lite up on outputs #3 and 4 like they are suppossed to do. Went to Service manuel to table 8-37
"Turn signals will not flash. 4-way flashers inoperative" followed step by step
it told be to replace module but I proved that the module was good so there must be some wire problems. All functions on handlebar wireing works, horn, lights high/low,starter, kill switch. Front yellow blinkers stay on all the time, think they are suppossed to. Measured resistance to ground on the 1157 sockets one contact is.5 ohms and the other contact is 9 ohms to ground. Any pionters? About readt to yank every wire and start over. Very Agrivated ready to yank out the wires and start over.
I will disconnect the led idiot lights built into the riser calmps and proceed tomorrow with a fresh head.
Ltank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 03:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Locodave wants to know Dino or Syn?
If your ground ohms is that high on the 9.0 ohms. Thats the prob. The 0.5 is a fairly ok ground. On grounds. Have to remember. If other circuts use the same ground. The larger amp draw will steal the ground from a marginal ground on the same circut. I'd add a ground wire from that 9.0 ohm resistance read to a good ground.

Use a knife to scrape away the insulation on the ground wire to expose the wire. Wrap another wire around it, and run it to the battery ground post to see if alls good.

If it works ok, then chase down the connectors for a good connection on that ground wire.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

SCHOONER1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm No Electrical Expert However

Hey cannibal

My problem was my signals were very,very slow in blinking and sometimes they would just stay on and not blink.

My Harley guy who left H-D dealership and openned up his own shop sloved my signal problem.

He tighten the siganl light GROUNDS. They are ALL seperate on my 1985 FLHTC. After he went thru the seperate grounds and found that they were LOOSE. BANG! i blinking like crazy now

I don't know if this will help you;but it seems that you check-up everything under the sun. But I didn't read anything about checking out the grounds, maybe i missed it.

Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannibal View Post
OK-maybe some of you have been following my problem. It's still unsolved.
Here's the problem, left side rear lights up, but no flash, while the front just stays on the running light circuit (no change)

Here's what I have done so far.
I checked all the bulbs and switched from left to right side-no change.
Pulled wiring harness out of frame to check handlebar switch control wiring by switching left side and right side plugs. Right side triggered by left side controls works, left side triggered by right side controls-same problem. So that rules out the wiring from the controls to the plug in the frame harness.
This led me to believe that the only thing left is the Turn Signal Module ($150!!!), so I bought this non-refundable item, plugged it in, SAME PROBLEM!!!
The only thing else I could think of is wiring from the rear left light up to the in frame plug that connects to the handlebar switch. OR, is there something else I am missing!?!?!?!?
Needless to say, I'm out $150 (which I really couldn't afford to throw away right now) and I still have the same problem.

HELP PlEASE, or it goes to the dealer, WHICH I HATE TO HAVE TO DO!

Schooner
GOD BLESS ALL
SCHOONER1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.