Starter won't stop spinning : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

treeblue wants to know Dino or Syn?
Starter won't stop spinning

Here's my Bike 1992 FLSTF (Custom).

Problem: Went to start my bike while at the Races, (not me racing) Auto Races. (1)Started bike (2) Starter kept spinning. (3) Turned off Dash switch, kept running, starter still turning.(4)Turned of ignition switch,kept running. (5) Disconnected ground wire from battery, everything stopped. (6) Touch ground wire to negative terminal on battery starter kicks in.(7) Disconnected all wires from Dash switch, same results. Any Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sized.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	47488  
treeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Otto wants to know Dino or Syn?
starter relay shorted
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
It could also be the solenoid stuck in shorting the power to the starter all the time. There is also a condition when the solenoid is bad and the starter does not release but after removing the battery connection it would reset it so that is unlikely. The only thing I can think of that would cause it to stay on even when the ignition switch is off and after the battery was disconnected would have to be the copper washer in the solenoid being stuck in the on/in/engaged position.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
BTW, An easy way to find out would be to remove the cover from the back of the solenoid. There are 3 screws holding it on and it is shaped like a home plate or house drawing.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

ProFvnv wants to know Dino or Syn?
This happened to me once on an 86. It was the starter solenoid. The copper disk had welded itself to the terminals. I took it apart and turned over the copper disk. The solenoid is still good, 17 years later.

When it happened to me, it took me a few minutes to disconnect it, and during that time, the starter shaft was spinning. It shortened the life of the starter, and I had to replace it, but there was another problem that nobody connected to the original problem.

After the solenoid and starter problem, I began having a problem with Bendix gears (the throwout bearing that engages the flywheel. It would start making a bad noise and eventually crap out. The dealer replaced one for free, and I eventually had 2 more replaced. The dealer was clueless as to why these things were going bad. Finally, I took it to an indy; he said that it wasn't the Bendix gear, but the shaft it rides on. He pulled the shaft, and sure enough, the pressed bearings on the right side of the case were shot, and the end of the shaft was way out of round.

What was happening was that the out of round shaft was causing the Bendix to slip around against the flywheel, and eventually ruin the bearings in the Bendix. A new shaft solved the problem.

We believe the shaft bearing problem started with the spinning of the starter motor when the solenoid stuck. I had always believed that all the problems started then, but the dealer kept telling me no.

So keep an eye and ear out for any funny sounds coming from the starting process from now on. And don't believe the first dealer you run across.

Safe Sex

I Doubt, Therefore I Might Be.
ProFvnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

JustDave71 wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeblue View Post
Here's my Bike 1992 FLSTF (Custom).

Problem: Went to start my bike while at the Races, (not me racing) Auto Races. (1)Started bike (2) Starter kept spinning. (3) Turned off Dash switch, kept running, starter still turning.(4)Turned of ignition switch,kept running. (5) Disconnected ground wire from battery, everything stopped. (6) Touch ground wire to negative terminal on battery starter kicks in.(7) Disconnected all wires from Dash switch, same results. Any Ideas?

Just had this happen, and was stuck somewhere with no tools to pull seat, so I just had to let the ****ing battery die.

man...these things are quirky as hell.
JustDave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement