Battery or Battery Tender Plus is bad? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

stev1955 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Battery or Battery Tender Plus is bad?

I go out to the bike yesterday, after it's been sitting in the garage for three months on a Battery Tender Plus, the green light is on the charger but when I tried to start the bike the solenoid just chatters. Bike won't turn over. So I pull the battery out and clean all the connections with a piece of sandpaper (no corrosion I can see) put it back in, hook up the charger again, in about 10 minutes the tender goes from steady red light to blinking green to solid green. So I figure the battery must be charged but turn the key and all the solenoid does now is just click. Connections are tight and clean. I hook up my jumper cables from my truck to the bike and it turns over and starts. What do you think? Bad battery or bad Battery Tender Plus?
http://www.v-twinforum.com/gallery/s...=1&ppuser=1428

"Hooters, hooters, yum yum yum. Hooters, hooters, on a girl that's dumb." Al Bundy
stev1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
How old is the battery? If it is more than 2 years old, I would just replace it.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

pspez wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stev1955 View Post
I go out to the bike yesterday, after it's been sitting in the garage for three months on a Battery Tender Plus, the green light is on the charger but when I tried to start the bike the solenoid just chatters. Bike won't turn over. So I pull the battery out and clean all the connections with a piece of sandpaper (no corrosion I can see) put it back in, hook up the charger again, in about 10 minutes the tender goes from steady red light to blinking green to solid green. So I figure the battery must be charged but turn the key and all the solenoid does now is just click. Connections are tight and clean. I hook up my jumper cables from my truck to the bike and it turns over and starts. What do you think? Bad battery or bad Battery Tender Plus?
If you have any rubber under your kickstand you won't charge your batt. I "think" ??? that you need to have the current from the battery tender run through the bike . I had a simmular issue and removed the rubber mat from undernieth the kickstand.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

encorebilly wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspez View Post
If you have any rubber under your kickstand you won't charge your batt. I "think" ??? that you need to have the current from the battery tender run through the bike . I had a simmular issue and removed the rubber mat from undernieth the kickstand.
Wonder how the batteries charge on my quad and pick-up as they do not have a side stand only rubber tires????
encorebilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Average Dude

YankeeBob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Who told you that?????

Deut. 23:12-13
YankeeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

pspez wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your right. I'm a dumb ass. Just like a friend told me: Never underestimate the power of stupidity!!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 07:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer- View Post
How old is the battery? If it is more than 2 years old, I would just replace it.
Battery is a AGM that I got in April '06. I'll replace it and see if that solves the problem. Thanks springer.

"Hooters, hooters, yum yum yum. Hooters, hooters, on a girl that's dumb." Al Bundy
Old 04-09-2008, 07:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Finally

Strick28 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Your right. I'm a dumb ass. Just like a friend told me: Never underestimate the power of stupidity!!!!
That's OK you'll be just fine.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Battery is a AGM that I got in April '06. I'll replace it and see if that solves the problem. Thanks springer.
First, I'd put a multimeter on the battery without the tender on it and see what it reads, then I'd hook up the tender and check it again. Then after the tender light turns green, I'd check it again.

This should enable you to pinpoint the problem as to which one. Only other consideration would be a battery that reads good voltage but has one or more weak cells. Takes a "load tester" to determine this.

And a Battery Tender Plus will go bad.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Y View Post
First, I'd put a multimeter on the battery without the tender on it and see what it reads, then I'd hook up the tender and check it again. Then after the tender light turns green, I'd check it again.

This should enable you to pinpoint the problem as to which one. Only other consideration would be a battery that reads good voltage but has one or more weak cells. Takes a "load tester" to determine this.

And a Battery Tender Plus will go bad.
Hello Ed- I tried that and got conflicting measurements. When I pulled the battery out I checked it with my new Craftsman digital voltmeter and got 12.9volts which seemed right but it wouldn't turn over the bike. I hooked up the tender and in a few minutes (?) when the green light came on the voltage was 13.85. After unhooking the tender the battery itself still read 13.35 which seemed high to me. After putting it back in the bike and trying to start it again and all it did was click the battery voltage was 11.75. So I suppose it's time for a new battery.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
OK, didn't realize you had done all that. I'd guess based on your last post that the battery has one or more bad cells. It will take the charge and even show it on the meter but won't hold it under a load.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

nvsteve wants to know Dino or Syn?
Did you check both ends of the battery cables? Particularly the ground.
nvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsteve View Post
Did you check both ends of the battery cables? Particularly the ground.
Everything looks clean and tight, cable seems fine, no loose ends or anything.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

bill corkey wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Hello Ed- I tried that and got conflicting measurements. When I pulled the battery out I checked it with my new Craftsman digital voltmeter and got 12.9volts which seemed right but it wouldn't turn over the bike. I hooked up the tender and in a few minutes (?) when the green light came on the voltage was 13.85. After unhooking the tender the battery itself still read 13.35 which seemed high to me. After putting it back in the bike and trying to start it again and all it did was click the battery voltage was 11.75. So I suppose it's time for a new battery.
Sounds like the battery might be ok
2006 sportster roadster
bill corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quicksilver1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have had a couple of battery tenders not perform as required in a commercial application (bigger batteries), so for that reason I will not rely on them for either of our two bikes. Put the battery on a charger for a few hours and see how it performs.
Quicksilver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement