What is the best replacement battery - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #31 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbmc View Post
what about if you load test it and it holds a charge yet it is 5+ years old?
Replace? Why? If it is as good as new as far as specs go... just trade it like a woman cause of age?? LOL
My theory has always been to replace it at that age if you're doing long trips. If you're just riding locally, then run it. JMO.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #32 (permalink)
FNG :)

mike92 wants to know Dino or Syn?
It is interesting that this came on here as I just replaced my battery. My battery was replaced in 06 with a Yuasa by an independent repair shop before going to Sturgis. On that trip I experienced a CEL while riding needles hwy. When I got home, I noticed that the battery ground cable was loose. I blamed it on the shop at the time and tightened it up. The same problem recurred from time to time and each time, the cable was loose. I finally pried the battery out of the well (2000 ultra) and took the cable off and was shocked to find out that the entire ground terminal was almost eaten away. The terminal is one of those hollow ones which uses a nut slipped into the terminal lug. The lug is stepped back from the edge of the battery by quite a bit which requires a spacer between the cable and the battery post. Apparently, vibration or whatever causes the spacer to dig into the battery post and a little of it is eaten away over time until it is loose.

I replaced it with the Harley battery and the post is flush with the outside edge of the battery which eliminates the spacer, and the post is really meaty which lets the bolt go Waaay into the post. It is threaded all the way which eliminates the nut insert. The difference in how it starts now is simply amazing!

Hope this helps you guys decide when buying a battery. No more hollow post and spacers for this boy! LOL
mike92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 PM   #33 (permalink)
IronButt

sportking wants to know Dino or Syn?
Do any of the on line H D discount dealers ship batterys ?
I just checked the web site's of Chicago and Zanoti for part #66010-97 A B or C there are none listed .
Just so happens a friend needs one . She was using one like Mike 92 had . And only got one year of use out of it .
For me my next one will be the Odyssey for sure
sportking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #34 (permalink)
IronButt

wydopn231 wants to know Dino or Syn?
ne1 running a optima battery
Old 03-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #35 (permalink)

jcsasnak wants to know Dino or Syn?
My battery is Done For.

I have been reading a lot of good stuff on replacement batteries. My question is which is the better way to go, lead-acid, sealed, dry cell? It looks like dry cell don't need tenders (which I haven't used during storage)??? Not sure on that.
Jim
Old 03-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #36 (permalink)

TWOHATS wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 06 Ultra and i have a friend who is an Deka dealer.How is the fitment,any problems with clearance.That is such a tight fit anyhow,besides any tricks on getting that puppy out the hole?I done is a few times,but it always a pain in the $#$ to pry it out of there.
TWOHATS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #37 (permalink)
Not sure where I put it

BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I bought an Odyssey for my Dyna and could never get it to work. Acted like the thing wasn't charged. Called Odyssey and they had me do some tests on it and said it was fine. Still wouldn't start the bike, so I put a HD battery in it. Odyssey sent me a replacement, but haven't put it in.
"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficial. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding." -Louis D Brandeis
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #38 (permalink)
2009 RoadGlide, 107 build

RoadGlide0611 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxhog View Post
Before you go and stretch it another year cosider this....My buddy and I were riding in the mountains,we went in for lunch and when we came out his battery was dead.The Battery was used 4 seasons and was starting its 5th..there were never any signs of slowing down-it just died!!---your call but don't think its worth the risk....
This is an old thread that I pulled up. It was very helpful. I called my dealer and was quoted on their battery replacement of $170! They didn't have a clue as to what cold cracking amps were let alone what this battery had. I called battery plus, got a deka battery with 400 cc amps, and a 2 year warranty for $121 plus tax. After I pulled out the old battery, it had nothing on it to say what cca's it had. Also, it had on the harley battery a 12 month warranty.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #39 (permalink)
IronButt

Slick03 H-D wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
Hardcore!!

H-D Ventilator air cleaner Dyno by Doc/98hp & 107tq
CVO adjustable rear shocks
Leather C&C seat
Freedom 8" dark smoked windshield
Painted inner fairing
Streamliner boards/pegs
Nostalgic bag rails
10" Yaffe mini apes
Plus a lot more to come much to my wife's dismay

Slick03 H-D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #40 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick03 H-D View Post
I had to go back to see what you were agreeing on.

Ok, it was odyssey batteries...

So I will with your of the first

Very happy with mine and like the bolt in terminal connections.

My old one had the "lead" stand-offs with a bolt\nut connection that would loosen up (even with star washers) and I would have to take the seat off to fix the connection. Not cool when all packed up.

rkc
Old 02-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #41 (permalink)
IronButt

Slick03 H-D wants to know Dino or Syn?
[QUOTE=Road King Cole;2084666

Very happy with mine and like the bolt in terminal connections.

My old one had the "lead" stand-offs with a bolt\nut connection that would loosen up (even with star washers) and I would have to take the seat off to fix the connection. Not cool when all packed up.

rkc[/QUOTE]

Had the same problem and with just a tad to much compression mine won't stand even the slightest bit of a loose connection because it won't start, even with compression releases, it would come up on the compression stroke, pop the releases (especially when the motor was cold) and that was the end...
H-D Ventilator air cleaner Dyno by Doc/98hp & 107tq
CVO adjustable rear shocks
Leather C&C seat
Freedom 8" dark smoked windshield
Painted inner fairing
Streamliner boards/pegs
Nostalgic bag rails
10" Yaffe mini apes
Plus a lot more to come much to my wife's dismay

Slick03 H-D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #42 (permalink)
IronButt

Fourcats wants to know Dino or Syn?
Replacement battery...

The H-D battery on the Sportster...charged it today as it has been sitting in the cold {got it on SALE, Xmas '03}. It took the charge and fired right up.

Can't beat the Harley Davidson batteries.
Fourcats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #43 (permalink)

stigg30 wants to know Dino or Syn?
i do not recommend the drag specialities batt. mine is barely 2 yrs old and is sounding very weak while starting. i keep it on the batt tender so i cant believe its already crapping out on me. gonna replace it soon, guess ill try odyssey or back to HD batt.
stigg30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #44 (permalink)

BrownSanta wants to know Dino or Syn?
just bought a lithium battery from Battery Tender via amazon.

Amazon.com: Battery Tender BTL35A480C Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery: Automotive Amazon.com: Battery Tender BTL35A480C Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery: Automotive
Old 06-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #45 (permalink)
Not sure where I put it

BOUTYM is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I tried three new Odyssey batteries and none of them would start the bike. Got a model XTAX20HL-BS from Batteries+ and it's turning out to be one of the best batteries I've ever owned. Very fast starts even if hot.
BOUTYM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.