Tach Adapter : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Electrical, Wiring and Lighting
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dan
IronButt

Dan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Tach Adapter

I need to wire a Auto Meter tach into a single fire ignition by Comp u fire It has a Crane coil.I have been told that the only one that will work is a Comp adapter.Seem like there should be another company that makes something to work. I tried a Dyna but it would not work at all. Seems all the dealers are either out of the Comp or want more than retail.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2007, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

NCC1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Have you tried without the adapter?

Have you tried without the adapter?

Most tachs work without using any adapter.

Try it without one...it wont hurt the tach if you connect to the ignitions tach output wire.

The ignition compensates for the mode your using.
NCC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
If the ignition doesn't specifically have a tach output wire AND your tach is setup for dual fire mode you will need a tach adapter. Crane makes a tach adapter that should work with that system. The crane tach adapter can be setup for 2 types of stock Harley tachs, negative trigger and positive trigger. It connects directly to the coil triggers and then depending on the type of tach either connects to +12 or to ground (not both). Then you connect your tach to the tach output of the adapter.

Some of the newer style aftermarket tachs can accept single or dual fire. Most are still dual fire since the ECU or Harley single fire ignition (carb engine) supply a dual fire tach signal (trigger).

The Dyna tach adapter is nothing more than 2 diodes and only works on one style of tach and typically only works with their Dyna "S" ignition. Overall it is junk (IMO) and a waste of money typically.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dan
IronButt

Dan wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have tried to contact comp about this,but they do not anwser the phone or return e mails.I did get a compufire adapter and will try this.I tried hooking up without a adapter and the tach needle bounce like crazy.I didnt know the crane would work or I would have tried it.Not sure what is the deal with the comp ignition.I may junk it as I am not really impressed with it or their customer ?? service.I will wire up to my auto meter and see what happens.I also called auto meter and they said to use the comp adapter.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement