Racer Tuner vs Power Commander : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Fuel Systems > EFI Maps and Calibrations
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2006, 08:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Mikes06RK wants to know Dino or Syn?
Race Tuner vs Power Commander

If anyone knows about these two products please reply.
Mikes06RK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2006, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Race tuner vs Power commander

I would like to know more about these two products please reply if you do. If I where to use the Power commander would HD void my warranty?
Old 04-06-2006, 08:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Racer Tuner vs Power Commander

Would HD void my warranty if I use the power commander? Can anyone school me on the two products.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
I love BIG headlights...

Griffiss wants to know Dino or Syn?
Technically yes it will void the warranty, but it depends on the dealer you go to. The one I go to will void the warranty, the one up the street will sell you one and install it. I had a race tuner before I switched to the Twintec system, only problem is very few techs know how to set them up and Dyno time ain't chep.
S&S 585g cams, SE 10.5 forged pistons
Thunder Max EFI
Gerolomy Intake and dual runner 50mm throttle body
RB Racing LSR's "C" 2 into 1
Hydraulic Clutch with AIM VP83T VPC
Lyndall Z-pads

Board of Directors Rolling Thunder® VA. Chapter #3
Griffiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Alpha_Biker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes06RK
Would HD void my warranty if I use the power commander? Can anyone school me on the two products.
I do not know much about the SERT. But I can tell you one thing concerning the PC. If you are worried about warranty issues just unplug the PC before you take your bike to the dealer. It's very easy to do and takes only a couple of minutes. Also with the PC you can use it on other bikes so you can sell it or use it on another bike you may purchase in the future. The SERT will only work on the bike that it is installed on. My PCIII works great on my '06 StG. It took away almost completely the back firing and decel popping. I have one small problem with my PC that a few others with '06 bikes are having. That is the bike takes longer to start on cold starts.

~eddie
Old 04-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

20538 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
this thread might have your answer.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=75743
20538 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Arrogant Bastard

jasilva wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjams
this thread might have your answer.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=75743
Whoa, senior moment here......you linked back to the same thread.

Joe
Isaiah 6:1-9
jasilva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2006, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
72FX/04Ultra

fauskar wants to know Dino or Syn?
If anyone actually pays attention to "caution" statement on the outside or inside of the SERT product itself, it states... "Installation of this product (and similar products from other manufactures) may reduce or void your Harley-Davidson vehicle warranty."

Guess that answers the question. Power Commander would fall under "... similar products from other manufactures."

Now it's down to a "pissing" match between you, the dealer and the MOCO. I know were I would put my money on to win decision if it came down to that.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

Lunker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Biker
I do not know much about the SERT. But I can tell you one thing concerning the PC. If you are worried about warranty issues just unplug the PC before you take your bike to the dealer. It's very easy to do and takes only a couple of minutes. Also with the PC you can use it on other bikes so you can sell it or use it on another bike you may purchase in the future. The SERT will only work on the bike that it is installed on. My PCIII works great on my '06 StG. It took away almost completely the back firing and decel popping. I have one small problem with my PC that a few others with '06 bikes are having. That is the bike takes longer to start on cold starts.

~eddie
Alpha_Biker is right about taking off the PowerCommander. It can be rmoved from the bike and no one is the wiser. When you install a map using the SERT, the map itself in the ECM has telltale properties that would let the dealership know the map came from a SERT.
Alpha_Biker, I am having the same issue with my 05 Wide Glide. If I don't let the bike warm up for a minute, it's a choppy ride for the first 1/8 mile until the bike warms up. I believe that the issue is that the bike is warm when it gets tuned and optimized on the dyno. It does not take into account the enrichment circuit that richens your fuel mixture when it's cold outside (i.e. in carb terms, think of pulling out the choke). What's happening is that at low throttle positions (5%, 10%) you are running too rich. The bike's enrichment circuit is designed to complement the very lean stock mixture. The map I had made left the 0% throttle position alone. I just let the bike idle and warm up a little longer (1 minute instead of 30 seconds). The close to stock setting for 0% throttle allows the engine to run smoothly for warmup. In my mind, the increased performance more than makes up for a slightly longer warmup time.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

usmcsportster wants to know Dino or Syn?
I was actually going to post the exact question that Mikes06RK posted, because my Thuderheaders came in finially, for my 06 streetbob, and they (the service dept at the stealer) said that the Race Tuner was the way to go, but, they were going to stop making them here shortly because of EPA regs. So, I snagged one. But, their Dyno is booked solid, and I cant find another shop with a Dyno that can do those. They recommended the PC and said that it requires changing out my o2 sensors, but, was all around cheaper and better performance. I can always turn the Race Tuner back in while I am waitin to get on a Dyno, but, I want the best part for performance. And reading previous posts, I am not hearing a difference other then Dyno time. HELP!
usmcsportster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2006, 05:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

Lunker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcsportster
I was actually going to post the exact question that Mikes06RK posted, because my Thuderheaders came in finially, for my 06 streetbob, and they (the service dept at the stealer) said that the Race Tuner was the way to go, but, they were going to stop making them here shortly because of EPA regs. So, I snagged one. But, their Dyno is booked solid, and I cant find another shop with a Dyno that can do those. They recommended the PC and said that it requires changing out my o2 sensors, but, was all around cheaper and better performance. I can always turn the Race Tuner back in while I am waitin to get on a Dyno, but, I want the best part for performance. And reading previous posts, I am not hearing a difference other then Dyno time. HELP!
A lot depends on your local dealership and their handling of warranty issues with the SERT. If you're worried about them rejecting claims because you installed a "racing part", I'd go with the Power Commander. If that's not a concern, a lot of people prefer the SERT for it's capabilities (it has more built in functionality than the PCIII, but it's not needed for moderate builds). It was made by the Moco, and a lot of people swear by it because of that. Also, I have never read on this forum about a SERT not working correctly or failing. That's surprising because the internet is a magnet for people with gripes to air. It's an excellent product by all accounts. There are a few posts about failed PowerCommander units, but the ones I read said that Dynojet customer support was very good and replaced the unit for free. The problems also seemed to be with earlier models than what is out now (PC III w/USB). There are posts in the engine mods section of this site that list good tuners all over the country. The post is a sticky called "Top Tuners". Unless you know your local dealership has a good rep for tuning, I'd avoid it and see if anybody on the Top Tuner list is near you. If there is one, I'd give him a call and find out which he prefers to use for tuning. As for the possible discontinuing of the SERT, I don't think that's a reason to avoid it if you find a good tuner who can use it. Good luck!
Old 04-13-2006, 07:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

ripp wants to know Dino or Syn?
eddie:
I fixed my 06 slow start by using a tip from another forum. That is hit the start switch as soon as you hit the run switch. Do not wait the bike will start right up.

Ripp
ripp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.