Stage 1 Download : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Fuel Systems > EFI Maps and Calibrations
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2005, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Infidel

Gulfstream wants to know Dino or Syn?
Stage 1 Download

I have two questions. I've noticed that the stage 1 download cartridges can sometimes be had on eBay, are these a stand alone product that can be downloaded into the ECM or is other equipment needed, could I do this myself? My second question is P/N 32957-04 the correct one for a 05 FXDI? Thanks in advance.

"People sleep comfortably at night in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf".

Gulfstream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2005, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hellbound Train

csoday is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I wouldn't trust it, unless thing have changed, even the one's the dealers have can only be used a few times before they are useless

'03 FXSTBI 103" Stroker
112 hp -- 121 tq
100% S.E.

My V Twin Gallery
csoday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by csoday
I wouldn't trust it, unless thing have changed, even the one's the dealers have can only be used a few times before they are useless
Thanks for the quick response Chuck, this guy has sold a bunch of them and gets good feedback plus they're in sealed SE boxes and bags. Do you know if one can do the download himself without other equipment assuming the cartridge is good?

"People sleep comfortably at night in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf".

Old 01-12-2005, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hellbound Train

I hope you are right. The first ones on the market were sold outright from the dealers but I think they did the install. Those were replaced by dealers only modules that were capable of downloading to 5 bikes before they became worthless. I don't have first hand experience with them, I went straight to the SERT

'03 FXSTBI 103" Stroker
112 hp -- 121 tq
100% S.E.

My V Twin Gallery
Old 01-12-2005, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

louz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfstream
Thanks for the quick response Chuck, this guy has sold a bunch of them and gets good feedback plus they're in sealed SE boxes and bags. Do you know if one can do the download himself without other equipment assuming the cartridge is good?
The "old" cartriges will need to be installed by the dealer with their dianostic computer. Thats the interface to the ecu. The SERT will not do it. I say "OLD" because the dealers now link to HD directly to download the maps needed. I've heard the ones you used to get(cartdridge), when you did an upgrade were one use only. If its sealed it should be good to use.
Lou Z.
louz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

GrayRider is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by csoday
I hope you are right. The first ones on the market were sold outright from the dealers but I think they did the install. Those were replaced by dealers only modules that were capable of downloading to 5 bikes before they became worthless. I don't have first hand experience with them, I went straight to the SERT

Chuck, when you dialed in your SERT, did you notice the motor running smoother through the ranges?
GrayRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2005, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by louz
The "old" cartriges will need to be installed by the dealer with their dianostic computer. Thats the interface to the ecu. The SERT will not do it. I say "OLD" because the dealers now link to HD directly to download the maps needed. I've heard the ones you used to get(cartdridge), when you did an upgrade were one use only. If its sealed it should be good to use.
Lou Z.
So you have to have their diagnostic computer to download from the cartridge? What do you mean by "old", this P/N (32957-04) is fairly new. Also, anyone know if this is the right one for a 05 FXDI?

Old 01-12-2005, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hellbound Train

The SERT was added when I did my 103" upgrade. The "dialing in was 3 hours on the Dyno. During the 1,200 mile break in, I was running on the generic 103" map and yes it was popping a lot. I might also add that the initial Dyno run after the build was 107hp and 112tq with a bad low end torque dip. after the break in, I took it to the Dyno and came out with a smoothe A/F ratio, no popping and 112hp and 121tq. The low end dip was greatly reduced.. The ride is awesome

Gulfstream, that part# doesn't pull up in an online search

'03 FXSTBI 103" Stroker
112 hp -- 121 tq
100% S.E.

My V Twin Gallery

Last edited by csoday; 01-12-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
So you have to have their diagnostic computer to download from the cartridge? What do you mean by "old", this P/N (32957-04) is fairly new. Also, anyone know if this is the right one for a 05 FXDI?
What I meant was old "process". Most of the dealers here don't obtain the cartridge...they download from the HD support site. I had problems with my build and they keep trying different maps by hooking up to their computer.
Anyway thats why I got the SERT. It has all the maps for the SE HD builds.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Infidel

Thanks everyone for the help, here's a pic of what I'm talking about...if this will work.

Old 01-12-2005, 02:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the help, here's a pic of what I'm talking about...if this will work.
When I get home i'll look for a file I had that has the cross reference of the cartdrdge part number to the map calibration number. They are not the same. Then I'll check in the SERT maps. Also in the SERT, the maps did change for the 05 models.....so......I would hold off until you get a definative answer..

LZ.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by louz
When I get home i'll look for a file I had that has the cross reference of the cartdrdge part number to the map calibration number. They are not the same. Then I'll check in the SERT maps. Also in the SERT, the maps did change for the 05 models.....so......I would hold off until you get a definative answer..

LZ.
Thanks LZ, let me know what you find, I appreciate the help!

Old 01-12-2005, 02:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
XLIII

MegaGlide wants to know Dino or Syn?
From the printing on the end of the box, it looks like a Stage I, one time use.
W/ the SERT, at least, I know the hardware and software both changed for '05, as has been said here, so I would have to hear from somebody way smarter than us that it would work properly on an '05 before I parted w/ my $.

Sherlyn Popelka DUI, Aggravated Assault, Fugitive Arrest Reports HERE:
http://www.sherlynpopelka.net/
MegaGlide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Longhair-NL wants to know Dino or Syn?
Personally, I have had bad a couple bad experiences though ebay and that was too many for me. I have heard horror stories of people paying $750+ for a box of rocks or something that looked like it was thrown out of an air plane before being packed.

If you goto the dealer more than 2 times for reflashes, then you would have been able to own your own SERT for cheaper.

I am just starting to learn about SERTs but in the last 2 days, I have noticed a lot of very helpful replies about it.
Longhair-NL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2005, 05:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Thanks LZ, let me know what you find, I appreciate the help!
John,

I don't have "proof" but looking at the date on the box..... and your bike is an '05..... I would be willing to bet that cartridge will NOT work on your bike.
There is no cheap way to work on these efi bikes. Depending on your plans for the bike will determine which is the most cost effective way to re-tune the bike. I learned the hard way.

IMO...

Lou Z.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.