Throttle Position on Power Commander : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Fuel Systems > EFI Maps and Calibrations
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2004, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
LAF
Nice to ride again :-)

LAF wants to know Dino or Syn?
Throttle Position on Power Commander

O5 Road Glide, V&H Ovals, SE Air Filter, Power Commander.

First no map for setup, specifically the V&H Oval, I used a V&H slash cut no big deal. Had (have) deceleration backfire. working it out for 40% and 20% in the 0 throttle position as per a fix I read here.

The problem is when I hook up to the Commander, the Throttle position at idle is 3%.

Is there a way to adjust this in the Power Commander?

Am I worried about nothing?

I just think that at idle is should read 0%, or is there no such thing?
LAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2004, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

GRock wants to know Dino or Syn?
Laf,

All throttle positions are going to be reading the wrong RPM values as you increase throttle position. Which is not that big of a deal except for the values at 0 and 2% which is where you are trying to correct your decel popping. Also, you will not be able to get a handle on certain areas that need correction if you do not zero out. If you have latest models of PC you can adjust to set the idle value at zero. PC III USB has it done electronically. Would hope that this is the model you have for an 05.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
LAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRock
Laf,

All throttle positions are going to be reading the wrong RPM values as you increase throttle position. Which is not that big of a deal except for the values at 0 and 2% which is where you are trying to correct your decel popping. Also, you will not be able to get a handle on certain areas that need correction if you do not zero out. If you have latest models of PC you can adjust to set the idle value at zero. PC III USB has it done electronically. Would hope that this is the model you have for an 05.
Yes it is A PC III USB. I see NO way in the software to make this adjustment. As I said at idle, RPM bouncing in the software between 975-1075, throttle position reads 3% steady. It will show % response when throttle is twisted.

Last edited by LAF; 08-30-2004 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Delinquent

vafatboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
When you have the software open and the bike running and your pc connected to the pc 111 usb, look for the tab at the top that reads power commander tools.

Under this tab click on set throttle position. When that is done, a small window will pop up, choose reset.

After you reset, open to full throttle, don't hold it open just make sure that you get it twisted all the way open. the motor may make 3000 rpm or so with just a quick twist. Then click OK.

You will have just set the throttle position and it should now read 0% throttle with the bike at idle.

I would also make sure the bike is warmed up before doing the reset.

Hope this helps.

vafatboy
vafatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Road Captain

hogg831 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Once the PC is connected to your bike, and a map is loaded (in the PC)....you should see the SET THROTTLE POSITION option under the "UTILITIES" menu.........

BTW, mine is serial not USB

Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer are purely coincidental. Any resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic. The question of the existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is left as an exercise for the reader. The question of the existence of the reader is left as an exercise for the second god coefficient.

Fun is a good thing, whining sucks!
hogg831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
LAF

Thanks guys! I got it set. No big deal, just was not sure what to do, took the dell out plugged it in, went to tools the window opened and was not sure what to do(still don't know what it was referring too), just hit it on the closed side and was 3% now 0%. Loaded my map and will see in the am if decell backfire is gone. The power commander is cool for sure.

Lee
Old 09-08-2004, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
FNG :)

alkooper wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Thanks guys! I got it set. No big deal, just was not sure what to do, took the dell out plugged it in, went to tools the window opened and was not sure what to do(still don't know what it was referring too), just hit it on the closed side and was 3% now 0%. Loaded my map and will see in the am if decell backfire is gone. The power commander is cool for sure.

Lee
Note that the Power Commander reads a different throttle position when the bike is running and not running. The only accurate throttle position setting is when the engine is warm and running - as you did. Later on if you go to change a map and don't need to have the engine running to do that, the Power Commander throttle position number might be something other than 0% - just leave it alone, no need to reset again.
alkooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
LAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkooper
Note that the Power Commander reads a different throttle position when the bike is running and not running. The only accurate throttle position setting is when the engine is warm and running - as you did. Later on if you go to change a map and don't need to have the engine running to do that, the Power Commander throttle position number might be something other than 0% - just leave it alone, no need to reset again.
Thanks for the confirmation on a correct 1st foray into EFI and Power Commander.

As I said when I opened the window for setting throttle position there was like a horizontal bar graph with numbers bouncing. I don't remember for sure but it was back on the left side of the window and not sure on the right, I was at 3% on a warm idle so figured I needed to go back, hit it back and it zeroed out. I quite at that point, and loaded my map.

I still have decel popping even after loading +40% and +20% as per a tip I read here, not sure where to go now.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
FNG :)

easyman wants to know Dino or Syn?
try putting in -20 in the 0 throttle position from 2000 to 6500 rpm, the figure - 20 should be reading in all cells(2000-6500) .i had the same set up on my flhti and it did quite down the decel popping- try it see what happens .
easyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
LAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman
try putting in -20 in the 0 throttle position from 2000 to 6500 rpm, the figure - 20 should be reading in all cells(2000-6500) .i had the same set up on my flhti and it did quite down the decel popping- try it see what happens .
Well after re-reading the post on fixing this decel popping, I saw I made a mistake. I had not added to the 2% range! I added 10% in the 1500 and 2000 RPM(it became 20 and 36 respectively) and 20% 2500 to 5500 RPM range(which became 20). It is fine now. There is no more popping, except under heavy downshift and I consider this normal. It was really the 2% range that stopped it.

Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement