TTS MasterTune for Dummies : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Fuel Systems > EFI Maps and Calibrations
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 02:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

uid100 wants to know Dino or Syn?
TTS MasterTune for Dummies

I am not associated with TTS in any way, but if this discussion helps me to understand this product better, I am sure others will benefit as well.

If like me, you opened up your intake and exhaust and maybe installed some other performance modifications, you now need to recalibrate the ECM in order to get the engine to run the way it's supposed to. There are options, such as modules that are installed to change the signal between the ECM and fuel injectors, but using the MasterTune product you can reprogram the Delphi EFI controller directly.

In the hands of an expert, using the MasterTune and a dynamometer, the performance benefits of the hardware modifications will be maximized, but with some knowledge, reading through this forum and the help files included with the TTS MasterTune product, the user will be able to do their own tune that may be quite satisfactory.

It is recommended that you read through the help files before getting started. What I did not find was a simple step-by-step guide to getting a basic tune. This is my attempt at piecing one together. I welcome your input.

------------------

+1. Run TTS Software Updater to ensure the most current software version.
+2. Connect system to diagnostic port on the motorcycle. (The diagnostic connector on my ’09 FLHX is under the left side cover. This is not the only 4 pin connector that fits the TTS cable. Be sure and find the right one.)
+3. Use MasterTune-HD to Save Factory Calibration to a file.
- a. Launch MasterTune-HD
- b. Choose menu item: “File|Save or Restore Factory Calibration”
- c. Get ECM Info
- d. Choose “Command|Save ECM Calibration”
+4. Use MasterTune-HD to select and install the closest starting calibration map from the MasterTune files. (Mine uses the level 205 drive by wire calibration for 1580 engine with Air Cleaner & Race Exhaust. Use the MasterTuneCalFileListing to find yours.)
- a. Launch MasterTune-HD.
- b. Select base Tuning File to be installed.
- c. Choose “File|Program ECM” menu item and install the base tuning file to the ECM.
+5. Start and warm up the engine.
+6. Use DataMaster-HD to record VTune Data
- a. From the “File” menu, choose “Record VTune Data”
- b. Choose filename to write data. (The default is a good choice).
- c. Test the interface (“Get ECM Info.”)
- d. Record the tuning data. Secure the computer and take a short ride. Accelerate slowly and smoothly. Ride up long hills (unless you live in Florida, is there any other place on earth so flat?). Try and ride through full range of throttle and load conditions. Don’t turn off the ignition until you stop the recording.
+7. Use VTune-HD to generate a new calibration map.
- a. Launch VTune-HD
- b. Select the calibration file loaded in the ECM and the VTune data file recorded in the last step and generate Tune. The new calculated EV tables (for front and rear cylinders) will display indicating a range of calculated changes. Choose “Accept” and generate the new calibration file.
+8. Install this new calibration file into the ECM (following step 4 above) using MasterTune-HD, record new VTune Data with DataMaster-HD (step 6), and use VTune-HD to calculate new calibration (Step 7). When the new EV tables are displayed, the displayed changes should be smaller. Install, Record, and Recalculate. TTS recommends at least 3 interations.

------------------

At this point, my engine seems to be running pretty well, with no backfiring.

I found this note in the VTune Help file, “After the final iteration, the user must reset all AFR cell to the factory original values. This is required to prevent the vehicle from running too hot due to lean mixture operation.” I’m still sorting this one out, so if someone else wants to jump in here, feel free.

Let me know if this is a good start or not, and what needs to change.

uid100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 02:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
FOAD

Scotty_No1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
When you read how to use V-Tune you missed this important step below and that is why the note about resetting the AFR doesn't make sense to you.

First, a MT7 calibration must be installed into the vehicle. These calibrations have been specifically set-up to work with the VTune software. Note that VE tuning is only effective for AFR cells that are set to exactly 14.6 AFR value. For tuning purposes, the AFR can be temporarily set to 14.6 over a wide range of engine load. Refer to the Appendix section Closed Loop Operation for more information

Click here to download a PDF that explains it further

Last edited by Scotty_No1; 12-28-2008 at 02:49 AM. Reason: web url
Scotty_No1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

ironmind wants to know Dino or Syn?
why did this thread die? it looks like a pretty good start
ironmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Discovered in 1904 by the Germans it's German for whales vagina.
Gunny4Sawx is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Florida Tuning

As for the OP's comments on Florida, apply a little bit of brake across all ranges of riding to simulate loading the bike up a hill. It helped my tune down here in the Lowcountry.

Edit- I know this is a "zombie" thread.

There is no profit in Peace.

Last edited by Gunny4Sawx; 04-14-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Gunny4Sawx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

No Cents wants to know Dino or Syn?
The best way to tune with a TTS tuner is this site here:
"How to tune with a TTS without a Dyno".
Google that, and Doc talks you thru step by step for how to use your TTS tuner. It was by far the easiest that I have found.
Just my 2 cents...by No Cents.
No Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement