Vance & Hines Fuelpak talk : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Fuel Systems > EFI Maps and Calibrations
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 11:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!

Jeffytune is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Vance & Hines Fuelpak talk

Hi all.

The stated idea of this post(I hope to be a sticky) is to have a place here to exchange Ideas and advice on the Vance & Hines Fuelpak.
Now, I know that many here have some strong opinions on the fuelpak, and if you don't care for it, and you prefer another system, then good for you, and please move along, we in the post are going to try and help and advice those of us that have chosen to use this system, and unhelpful post will be asked to have removed.
So, please. lets all use this as a resource to help other and ourselves with this simple to use system.
Exchanging program Ideas and experiences.

2010 FLHTCUI
96 CID w/ the quiet 6 speed
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Harley quiet high flow 110 mufflers (Hey, they were free)
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

I have learned, Just say NO to Dyno's!
Member DooF Clenas , and proud of it.

Professional Rockat Surgen
Disclaimer.
I do not work for Vance and Hines, I just like their stuff. Any suggestions I make are to be used at your own risk.
Jeffytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

kblb wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thunderheader True duel

I put the new Thunderheader true duels on my son's 07 Street glide, with Ness Big Sucker A/C, the
V&H fuelpak map is FP-0543 however this map made the bike stumble just off idle (stop sign take off) V&h e-mailed me back with changes.
Mode 1change to 4 -- mode 2 to 3 --- mode 3 to 6 then verify mode 19 throttle position. Maybe someone can use this.

Last edited by kblb; 11-23-2008 at 08:46 AM.
kblb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

TalonChief wants to know Dino or Syn?
I was running map FP-0416 on an 06 FLTHCI w/ Ness Big Sucker and Wildpigs w/ 1.75 baffles. I was getting a very slight decel pop. When I inquired about getting some help with that, V&H offered to upgrade my firmware to V12 for $29.95.

Since I was already going to the ThunderMax AT, I elected not to go there. However, they did eventually suggest I tweak cells 1-4 up to 6 to cure the problem. Never got to do this, but I figure it might provide some insight to anyone else with a similar issue.
Scratched Tour-pak
Additional parts that contribute to a smile

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life." --Theodore Roosevelt
TalonChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi all.

Well Tonight I got to install my Vance & Hines Pro pipe, K&N air filter system and of course the Fuelpak.

Note: The screws for the mounting bracket are too long, trim the tip, 1/16th of an Inch to help make it a bit smoother to install.

It took like three hours start to finish to remove the stock parts and install the new stuff and program.
Once i learned to trim the screws, all went just as they advertised.

I took the bike out for a 40 mile test ride, all in all, it runs fairly well, I only got a couple pop's on the 1-2 shift, but I needed to manipulate it to get it too do it.
No surging, no poor running Issues. All in all, it runs smoother and with more power, so I is a happy camper for now.

I am going to take this bike in a couple weeks down to my dealer for a dyno run, to check to make sure it is running as it should, and i will get to know how to adjust these windows, but i don't think at this point mine needs any adjusting.

2010 FLHTCUI
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

Disclaimer.
I do not work for Vance and Hines, I just like their stuff. Any suggestions I make are to be used at your own risk.

Last edited by Jeffytune; 02-13-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
FNG :)

chromedome88 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Fuelpak

yea...screws too long from spider bracket to fuelpak (#1 phillips head is bad idea). Factory ECU box mounting screws glued into thread insert, stripped when tried to remove, could'nt get out (used some creative mounting techniques).
Other than that works good, sounds good, little more power.................

"03 RK Classic TC 88
SE perf. Air filter (K&N)
Stage 1
V&H Dresser Duals
V&H Basic Slip-ons
Fuelpak
chromedome88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

2007FLHP wants to know Dino or Syn?
What setting number???

First off this is what I have. It's a 2007 police Road King (103") with V&H slip-ons (#16725), SE stage 1 intake, and the V&H fuel pack (v12). I was told by HD to run setting FP-0520 which ran fine but the engine seemed to run REAL hot; specifically the rear jug I called V&H and they suggested setting FP-0544 which is for the SE 103" motor with the same slip-ons. V&H told me that they don't have a specific police 103" tune yet and that this one will work for now. I also found another tune on the V&H web site for the same motor running true duals...I wonder if this tune would work with the slip-ons or would it be too rich? Here are the numbers for the FP-0544 versus the other 103" tune starting at #1....can anyone deciper what the differences are?

3/0, 0/0, 4/0, 11/0, 0/12, 12/18, -4/4, -4/10, 0/4, 7/6, -10/-2, -2/4, 10/15, 15/10, 0/-3, 0/1, 0/0, 0/0,
2007FLHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007FLHP
First off this is what I have. It's a 2007 police Road King (103") with V&H slip-ons (#16725), SE stage 1 intake, and the V&H fuel pack (v12). I was told by HD to run setting FP-0520 which ran fine but the engine seemed to run REAL hot; specifically the rear jug I called V&H and they suggested setting FP-0544 which is for the SE 103" motor with the same slip-ons. V&H told me that they don't have a specific police 103" tune yet and that this one will work for now. I also found another tune on the V&H web site for the same motor running true duals...I wonder if this tune would work with the slip-ons or would it be too rich? Here are the numbers for the FP-0544 versus the other 103" tune starting at #1....can anyone deciper what the differences are?

3/0, 0/0, 4/0, 11/0, 0/12, 12/18, -4/4, -4/10, 0/4, 7/6, -10/-2, -2/4, 10/15, 15/10, 0/-3, 0/1, 0/0, 0/0,

What I would suggest is to have a Dyno run done(The standard power and cruise runs) and send it to Vance and Hines, if it's out of whack.
They should be able to adjust the program for your bike, but they will need to know all the particulares, air filter pipes and any mods.

2010 FLHTCUI
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

Disclaimer.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

led scooter wants to know Dino or Syn?
Maybe if everyone could post information from calling V&H concerning fine tuning the FuelPak, we can figure out what modes do what.

When I had my Propipe, they told me to adjust *decrease* modes 3 & 4 to reduce decell popping. I'd guess that would work for all pipes?

I now have BSS and called about adding fuel to the cruise speeds of 60-70Mph and they said *increase* modes 11 & 12 to add fuel in that area of speed.
led scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Fuelpak Adjustments?

03 FLHRC- after fuelpak installed, complaint to V&H was loss of power when throttle let off...almost like a compression release for several seconds (very lean maybe?)...they had me set mode 23 to 50 (it was orig. 16 per spec. settings for my set up) and recalibrate throttle at mode 19. I did so and it solved problem.
I have tried to find out what the modes control but they won't say...runs good so I hate to mess with it without knowing. Big secret I guess...
Anybody tried to adjust Fuelpak while on dyno tuner? Billion combos?
Originally switched to V&H because SE muffler on left started rattling inside (rusted out probably) but HD doesn't sell them anymore. That was disappointing (orig. set up was working good) oh well...

V&H dresser duals/ basic SOs/fuelpak
stage 1
perf. A/C
Old 07-14-2007, 12:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Vance and Hines is trying to get CARB approval for this system, and letting the customer adjust it blindly is not what CARB wants.

As it has ben told to me by Scott, the cells are RPM vs Throttle position (In it's basic form) so to adjust it right, they need to know what it's doing.

i did this by having a basic two run dynoing done on mine, it showed a good full throttle run., but a lean part on part throttle.

It is best to ask the dyno tech to record temperature of the engine and the amount of throttle the Issue was found at.

With this, the Nice people at V&H sent me a custom fuel map for my bike.

The bike is running the best it ever.

2010 FLHTCUI
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

Disclaimer.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thumbs up FNG :) Blind Adjustment

The marketing for the device rather misleading..."just punch in the numbers and off you go" doesn't work quite that easy if you expect it to be in perfect or at least near perfect tune. And to think that you have to keep calling tech for mode changes that may or may not work...that seems rather blind, not to mention, time consuming.The customers are wanting to know what the modes control so that we don't have to adjust in the blind.
Avoiding the costs of dyno tuning is the whole idea...do it yourself and per their marketing, "you are a genius".
Shame on me for not doing a little more research to get a controller that alows more fine tuning capabilities.
I still think it's a good product if I had more info and maybe understood the throttle position concept a little better.
Is there some thought that once CARB approves the device it will somehow be better? Guess I don't know that whole CARB approval deal either.
Don't mean to sound sarcastic just a little anoyed that SE mufflers weren't replaceable and spent relatively large $ on what I thought was major upgrade and now I'm nopt sure it is. Am I a genius, my dog thinks so.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have suggested to them that they make a CD program so that dyno tune techs can dial it in for a customer.

The rumor is that the SERT is going away, if it does, this will leave most dealers with a dyno and no way to tune in the bike.
The Power commander would be the most logical replacement for the SERT, but since it does not use the O2's, disabling a control device is a big no no.

You have to understand that no two engine are the same, they will be close, so the engine they have at Vance and Hines may flow less then yours, or maybe you are using a different air filter the the SE one V&H used(This was my case) or a hundred other things, that is why I suggest if you have a Issue, get a standard dyno run with temps and throttle openings and send it to V&H, they can correct the program to your bikes needs.

Bottom line is, it is still far cheaper then 450 for a SERT and 2-4 hundred to have it dialed in.

2010 FLHTCUI
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

Disclaimer.

Last edited by Jeffytune; 02-13-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

curlyd wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just live with it I guess

I have a 07FLHRC with V&H Big Shots true duals , SE AC and FuelPak . The bike seems to run good,buttttt on decel it pops at 0 throttle. I called V&H and they said change 23 to 50 just like others have said and it help a lot but still enough to be annoying I have changed my exhaust gaskets also. Just fussing.
curlyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyd
I have a 07FLHRC with V&H Big Shots true duals , SE AC and FuelPak . The bike seems to run good,buttttt on decel it pops at 0 throttle. I called V&H and they said change 23 to 50 just like others have said and it help a lot but still enough to be annoying I have changed my exhaust gaskets also. Just fussing.
Hi.

If you have a standard two run dyno run, and send V&H the results, they can run it through there computer and fine tune it in.

2010 FLHTCUI
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

Disclaimer.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Called on the 2008 models.....

Hi all.

My boss just got a new bike, a 2008 Ultra in the new candy red pearl, really beautiful bike.

Anyway, he asked so I called V&H about a FuelPak for a 2008. The New Ultra is using a throttle by wire, that is, and electric throttle body.
I talked with Adam and he said that the 2008 FuelPak should be available in 3 to 4 weeks.

It sounds to me to be a quick release for a new computer and all, but I guess Harley and they have a good working relationship, so i hope this it true.

I am passing this along to you who maybe looking at a fuel controller for your new 2008.

2010 FLHTCUI
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

Disclaimer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement