Vance & Hines Fuelpak talk - Page 108 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Fuel Systems > EFI Maps and Calibrations
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #1606 (permalink)
FNG :)

Yookdew wants to know Dino or Syn?
Help Jeffytune!

I've been reading through this post but haven't found an answer to my issue yet.

About a month ago I bought a completely stock 2005 Softail Deuce. Within the first week of having it, I added V&H Big Radius 2 into 2 pipes and a Kuryakyn Mach II air ceaner along with a Fuelpak.

Since I installed these, I have had occasional pops from the exhaust when I shift gears and every once in a while I get a cough from the intake.

The worst problem I have is a hesitation or dead spot just off idle when starting from a stop. The bike will rev up fine but once you start to let the clutch out and the engine starts to get a load on it, the bike falls flat on it's face for a second. It feels like it has no fuel for just a split second. Not good when you start to pull out and turn in front of traffic. The bike had no problems running before I added the pipes, AC, and Fuelpak. I re-tightened everything on the exhaust and checked for intake leaks but didn't find any.

I have called V&H a couple of times. I started with the FP-0007 program and the first time they had me change cell 5 to 5, 10 to 6, 11 to 13, 12 to 8, and 23 to 15. Not ,much change so I called them back and they had me change cell 6 to4 and 9 to 0.

This still didn't fix my problem. I can live with the occasional pop but the dead spot the bike has is dangerous. Do you have any ideas? Does this sound like a lean condition?

Thanks!
Yookdew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #1607 (permalink)
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!

Jeffytune is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Hi there.

Okay, lets take this from the start. Even if it's all stock, I have seen bikes come in with the stage one downloaded in it. Because the guy when he traded it in took off all the good stuff and stock back on the stock stuff or it was done to help cool the bike down.
Either way, you might want to have the dealer check the program in the ECM, if it's a stage one, then FP-0008 would be the correct program.

With that said, the stock baffles in the pipes are still in place, right?

A small pop on shift is from not closing the throttle on shifts. Cell 23 will adjust the fuel cut out. It turned the injectors off at RPM to help stop the pop, you might try 15 in cell 23.
Also, throttle calibration is critical, be sure the throttle stop is screwed out and open the throttle in a smooth even speed motion the close it the same. Then check it in cell 21, it should show 00 and at wide open 99 and back. It should smooth and the number should move up on open and down on close. if it jumps all of a sudden, you have a bad throttle position sensor.

2010 FLHTCUI
96 CID w/ the quiet 6 speed
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Harley quiet high flow 110 mufflers
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

I have learned, Just say NO to Dyno's!
Member DooF Clenas , and proud of it.

Professional Rockat Surgen
Disclaimer.
I do not work for Vance and Hines, I just like their stuff. Any suggestions I make are to be used at your own risk.

Last edited by Jeffytune; 09-14-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Jeffytune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #1608 (permalink)

baker5209 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Put one of their new ones on my 2012 Softail today. I was happy with it.
baker5209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #1609 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

freetohavfun wants to know Dino or Syn?
Morning all!
I have been thinking about doing a 103 stage 2 upgrade on my 2008 streetglide and i have all the vance and hines stuff but i am wondering if i have my juggs bored out reather then slapping on new ones will i have a problem with V&H stage 2 program?
has anyone done this and had problems or not, my builder has said he has seen problems with the program not working after the build was done.

2008 Street Glide
NOT STOCK
freetohavfun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #1610 (permalink)

No, you'll be fine, the program does not know the difference between new or drilled jugs. I feel that Torque honed cylinders give the best results so be sure too ask that they torque hone them.
Also, use the 9.3:1 pistons, not the 10:1's and get some compression releases install while you have the heads off. If you decide to get the auto ones, you will have to have a new program flashed into your ECM to activate them.
Manual ones work just fine. Just make sure on a hot restart that your thumb is on the release, not a cylinder headbolt. (I have seem a couple guys burn there thumb this way)

2010 FLHTCUI
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

Disclaimer.
I do not work for Vance and Hines, I just like their stuff. Any suggestions I make are to be used at your own risk.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #1611 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

freetohavfun wants to know Dino or Syn?
I was planning to go with auto compression release. what is the differance in the pistons?

2008 Street Glide
NOT STOCK
freetohavfun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #1612 (permalink)

Just the compression ratio, there both cast.

2010 FLHTCUI
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

Disclaimer.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #1613 (permalink)

Chap Tom wants to know Dino or Syn?
Problems with exhaust smell while riding

Hello Jeffytune, I am hoping for some info to solve a problem I am having. I have V&H Power Duals, Monster Ovals, Fuel Pack, Naked Air and Throttle Pack on my 2010 Ultra Classic and am having problems with smelling excessive fuel smelling exhaust while riding both in town and on the freeway. I had an exhaust leak at the crossover but got it fixed with the help of my HD dealer. They say no leaks now and suggest i contact V&H to lean up the fuel pack settings (FP3249)

I had previously installed Dresser Duals with Turndowns and did not have any exhaust issues with that set up. I lost some power expecially pulling the mountain grades here in Northern AZ and decided to change to the Power Duals and Monster Ovals.

V&H has been helpful but i am at the end of my rope on this issue. I was at an HD dealer in Las Vegas last week and they had a bike in with an exhaust leak at the O2 sensor port and they said they install lots of V&H. I cannot ride it that far due the the exhaust smell and hoped for some advice from you here.

Thank you,
Chap Tom
Chap Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #1614 (permalink)
IronButt

PosseRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Jeffytune. Have a new 2013 CVO. Putting on a stock header with cat removed, to help cool it down some. Everything else will remain stock. Thinking of the FuelPak. Does this map sound good to you? FP4835 Don't have one yet but, want to know,do I need to do something else to help. Thanks.

Last edited by PosseRider; 11-25-2012 at 04:11 PM.
PosseRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #1615 (permalink)
IronButt

PosseRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Darn...Still no reply. Anyone else have an answer for me? FuelPak should be here in a day or 2. Help
PosseRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #1616 (permalink)
"Jane you ignorant slut!"

ceraaa42 wants to know Dino or Syn?
A call to V&H would be a good thing if you haven't. They are very helpful.
SE255 cams
SE Air cleaner
SERT
Fatcat Quiet baffle
Bagger brace
Dyno report; http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/dr...et-baffle.html

"Ya fargin' sneeky bastage!" Roman Troy Moronie

43 member

Last edited by ceraaa42; 11-28-2012 at 05:15 PM.
ceraaa42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #1617 (permalink)

keithj wants to know Dino or Syn?
FuelPak bypass

Hello all,

I just installed an older version 12 FuelPak onto a 2008 Nightster with the Stock ECM, V&H StraightShots, and a VO2 air cleaner. My question is, is there a way to bypass the Fuelpak with it still installed? I'd like to be able to "feel" the effect the Fuelpak is having on performance without having to do all the muscling/squeezing/jiggling of physically removing the connectors. It's a tight squeeze in there.

The reason I'm asking is this: The bike, as I bought it, had the stock ECM and the stock Harley air cleaner. It ran very strong. I installed the FuelPak and the VO2 air cleaner at the same time. I assumed that the ECM had the Stage 1 download, and rode for one day using the appropriate FuelPak settings for the Stage 1, pipes, and A/C. On checking the ECM program at the dealership, I changed the FuelPak settings for the correct program for the stock ECM.

In terms of "seat of the pants" performance, I rank them like this:
1) best was stock A/C, no FuelPak
2) next was VO2 A/C, with FuelPak settings for the wrong Stage 1 ECM
3) worst is what I have now, VO2 and correct FuelPak settings for stock ECM

It seems to me that the free flow A/C should have been a noticeable performance improvement. Instead, I think I've lost a little performance. And lost a little more if I use the correct FuelPak settings for this setup.

That's why I'd like to bypass the FuelPak settings and do a quick A/B comparison. Would setting all values to zero accomplish this?

And yes, I've done the mode 19 throttle calibration in the 1sec-pause-1sec manner described.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
keithj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #1618 (permalink)

I have been very bissy with family lately, sorry for the slow response.

No. you can't bypass it with it plugged in.

The only way to know how it's working is to do a pull on the dyno, the seat of the pants is not reliable, it can't see what the air fuel is at and every time you unplug the ECM, you clear any learned telemetry.
Did you verify that the ECM is stock and does not have the stage one download in it? The only way to know for sure is to have the dealer plug there computer into it and read the program.
Did you change the baffles in the pipes?

2010 FLHTCUI
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

Disclaimer.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #1619 (permalink)
IronButt

werdna65 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffytune View Post

The only way to know how it's working is to do a pull on the dyno, the seat of the pants is not reliable, it can't see what the air fuel is at and every time you unplug the ECM, you clear any learned telemetry.
Did you verify that the ECM is stock and does not have the stage one download in it? The only way to know for sure is to have the dealer plug there computer into it and read the program.
Yes you can by setting all values to 0, V&H told me that putting all to 0 will not take away or add fuel to the bike and it will basiclly be stock
werdna65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #1620 (permalink)

keithj wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the reply, Jeffytune.

Yes, I did verify with the dealer that the ECM is stock, no Stage 1 download.

Since my last post, I installed the quiet baffles from V&H and entered the appropriate map into the Fuelpak, so I think I'll be looking at a new starting point for all of this when the weather clears out. It could be a while.

It would be nice to have a definitive answer on bypassing the Fuelpak by zeroing out the values. I've seen it posted here that setting modes 1-18 to zero and another mode (I have it written down somewhere) to value=50 would bypass, but I don't know for sure. I suppose I could try it.

Thanks for the help. I'll check back in when I've had a chance to test the new map and baffles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffytune View Post

keithj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.