Twin Cam 88 rebuild : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Fuel Systems > EFI Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

papachop wants to know Dino or Syn?
Twin Cam 88 rebuild

Had to get my Twin Cam 88 rebuilt. Was sitting in a 06 street Glide.
The shop told me they had to go to 95 because they no longer could get the 88 pistons, no biggie extra 250$ for the work and I got a 95 now

They stayed with the stock factory cam.

Running a Power Commander 3 and Rinehart true duals.

The pig is getting 15.5 L per 100km. This not cool with me.

Was expecting maybe 8 per 100km.

The plugs are pretty much white with some black at the base of the threads.

The bike is running rough and low speed and fine once it gets going.

Called a dyno shop and they told me they wont touch it with a stock cam or power commander for that year street glide and a 95 cylinder. They quoted me another 1500 to fix the work of the engine builder. Any thoughts on running stock cams with a 95 cylinder 88? Is the shop that built the motor responsible for this or is it my problem.
papachop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Harley Cruiser wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by papachop View Post
Had to get my Twin Cam 88 rebuilt. Was sitting in a 06 street Glide.
The shop told me they had to go to 95 because they no longer could get the 88 pistons, no biggie extra 250$ for the work and I got a 95 now

They stayed with the stock factory cam.

Running a Power Commander 3 and Rinehart true duals.

The pig is getting 15.5 L per 100km. This not cool with me.

Was expecting maybe 8 per 100km.

The plugs are pretty much white with some black at the base of the threads.

The bike is running rough and low speed and fine once it gets going.

Called a dyno shop and they told me they wont touch it with a stock cam or power commander for that year street glide and a 95 cylinder. They quoted me another 1500 to fix the work of the engine builder. Any thoughts on running stock cams with a 95 cylinder 88? Is the shop that built the motor responsible for this or is it my problem.
Stock cams with the 95 should be no problem, this would "under cam" the motor.
I would look for another shop.
What does your builder say?
Bump
Harley Cruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Y2K
IronButt

Y2K wants to know Dino or Syn?
I ran a stock compression 95" kit with stock cams for 40K miles and it ran fine.
It was however carbed with a re-jet and had Hooker slip ons over stock headers.
I expect it's the Rinehart true duals that are causing you problems.
I have the same system now with a .010 bored over high compression 95" kit,ported heads,S&S 570G cams and an SE CV44.
I had a very good tuner dyno-tune it but he even had some trouble getting it to run right through the full rpm range.
It runs really strong but has a little annoying flat spot about 2900rpm,after that it comes on like a turbo lol.
He said it was the true duals causing the problem, had I gone with a two into one it would have run a lot smoother,that or had I stuck with a stock header and good slip ons.
Y2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

papachop wants to know Dino or Syn?
The bike was always hard on gas. 2006 was the year Harley sent bigger injectors to there dealers for some models. The ECU was also finicky and the Power commander 3 never jived with the Harley ECU that year. If anyone knows the details on that Id like to know.

So a Harley super tuner may be needed no matter what to resolve my problem.

A 95 kit in a 88 with the stock 88 cam is a close configuration to a stock 96 motor. Am I wrong? Also what are the symptoms of a underpowered cam?

The shop hasnt said anything as of yet.

Never though about putting in a 203 cam at the time because I was thinking stock just to get the bike back on the road and really it was plenty of power for my backroad riding.

My concern for now is it safe to ride the bike the way it is. It does run rough and burn 15l per 100km which is nut for a vtwin, not a F150.
papachop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Harley Cruiser wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by papachop View Post

A 95 kit in a 88 with the stock 88 cam is a close configuration to a stock 96 motor. Am I wrong? Also what are the symptoms of a underpowered cam?

The shop hasnt said anything as of yet.

My concern for now is it safe to ride the bike the way it is. It does run rough and burn 15l per 100km which is nut for a vtwin, not a F150.
Well an under camed motor will not reach its potential at high rpms the valves wont open as far, letting less gas air in.
In my opinion if anything would increase your gas mileage and your low end torque, since it increases the velocity of the incoming mixture into the head.
But your fuel system has to work with the cam.
Yea it is safe to use the bike since it is running too rich and not to lean, just expensive with the gas prices.
Harley Cruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement