Need help with choosing a new tuner : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Fuel Systems > EFI Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

dlfidler wants to know Dino or Syn?
Need help with choosing a new tuner

I ride a 08 Ultra Classic, big sucker ac, V&H Monster ovals, stock exhaust header, V&H Fuelpak which doesn't do what I need it to do. In the spring going to install Andrews 48H or S&S 551 cams. I need advice in picking a good tuner this time without breaking back. Has anyone used TFI Dobeck GEN-$ tuner? Need help. Thanks
dlfidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Who will be doing the tuning?
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

dlfidler wants to know Dino or Syn?
I will I don't have money for a Dyno, thats why I was thinking about TFI Debock GEN-4 over my Fuelpak.
dlfidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Mike02 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Go with a PowerCommander V and save up for a dyno tune!
Mike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I don't know about the TFI Debock GEN-4 but if you don't have a fundamental understanding of tuning, a fair amount of experience and the tools needed to measure the results, stop now. You might get lucky and end up with a decent running machine or maybe not. Before doing those types of mods I highly recommend a sound solution for tuning. Without that I would not proceed.
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Please save yourself cash and issues .
Check out the Power Vision from Dynojet. But consider buying for FuelMoto they are pro's and if you buy it from them they give you free tech support and Maps they will even customize your map. It is a true tuner you can have many maps at hand change them in a flash.
It is leaps and bounds ahead of the old PCV from the same company.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Roundboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
You have the same setup that I'm looking to get and I plan on getting the power vision ... my dealer uses TTS and I feel they charge too much for what ought to be fairly easy to baseline and then dial in.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

BUBBIE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Dobeck TFI,Gen3 and Gen4

I just Finished a long BETA for Dobeck on their Gen 4.

I see they are sponsors here so I guess I can answer and tell you MY experiences with the new Gen 4.
I have done BETA testing of their product FROM when I did not like it , but the Idea was good,,, to I WOULD NOT BE WITHOUT IT.
This is using the latest Gen 4 supplied by Dobecks for my BETA of their NOW Fine product.

The Dobeck Gen 4 is perfected right now.... Check out that unit.

You can adjust the fuel in 3 modes and get power when cracking the throttle,while not running Lean...

Cruising, you can set the yellow AFR leaning it out to get GREAT fuel mileage...

I got 50 miles per gallon on a long two day travel, mostly doing 65/68 mile pr-hour on two lane roads from lower Az. into N M, over the last two days of running, I could NOT believe the Mileage...

My 09 FLHR King, stage one plus SE255 cams, running cool and setting the AFR on the cruise from 14 (getting 45-46 mpg) to 15 on this cruise, giving me the 50 mile per gallon. At NO TIME did I lack Power NOR run too lean or Hot.

Cracking the throttle at any time,,,, I have it set to run at 12.5 AFR and does it MOVE...

Man,,, AM I HAPPY with this unit.

I have been doing BETA for the Dobeck Co. on the Gen 4 unit. Many Changes have made it work Properly on my bike....(and Now Yours)

They Have FINALLY Hit a Home Run with this Gen 4 In My Book.

Check it out and IF you order, Don't forget the (edit) discount...

Phone orders only will recieve the Discount.

877-764-3337
406-388-2377

Tell them BUBBIE sent you...Cause he was HAPPY and Pleased with the Gen4.....

signed....BUBBIE

The above was written on a Dobeck site so I gave it to you here.

Even though they are a sponser here, I get Nothing from the Dobeck people.. Maybe a Big Steak or TWO IF I can ever find Mark Dobeck the owner.

More information from me IF you want to ask me....

signed....BUBBIE

Edit for spelling

Last edited by BUBBIE; 12-01-2012 at 06:07 PM.
BUBBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
FNG

dmize wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfidler View Post
I ride a 08 Ultra Classic, big sucker ac, V&H Monster ovals, stock exhaust header, V&H Fuelpak which doesn't do what I need it to do. In the spring going to install Andrews 48H or S&S 551 cams. I need advice in picking a good tuner this time without breaking back. Has anyone used TFI Dobeck GEN-$ tuner? Need help. Thanks
Look at the Power Vision from FuelMoto... they are running a trade in special until 12/30/12... they will give you 150 dollar credit for your VH Fuelpak towards the price of the new PV.

D.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!

Jeffytune is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfidler View Post
After installing the cams you will need to go to a different tuner set up. I recommend the TTS and a competent dyno tuner.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/tts.htm

2010 FLHTCUI
96 CID w/ the quiet 6 speed
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Harley quiet high flow 110 mufflers (Hey, they were free)
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

I have learned, Just say NO to Dyno's!
Member DooF Clenas , and proud of it.

Professional Rockat Surgen
Disclaimer.
I do not work for Vance and Hines, I just like their stuff. Any suggestions I make are to be used at your own risk.
Jeffytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Greg MacD wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02 View Post
Go with a PowerCommander V and save up for a dyno tune!

I am running a Fuel-Pack on my Harley and for me it works great, however that is not the case with my Aprilia, for that bike I am running the Power Commander III with a custom tune, I have the ability to modify many more parameters that I can with the VH unit, save the money and get the bike tuned, two hours on a dyno should work.

2003 Ford SD 7.3L Diesel
Greg MacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBIE View Post
My 09 FLHR King, stage one plus SE255 cams, running cool and setting the AFR on the cruise from 14 (getting 45-46 mpg) to 15 on this cruise, giving me the 50 mile per gallon. At NO TIME did I lack Power NOR run too lean or Hot.

Cracking the throttle at any time,,,, I have it set to run at 12.5 AFR and does it MOVE...
You claim you ran a 15 afr and it wasn't lean.

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

1Canuck wants to know Dino or Syn?
across the forums Power Vision, TTS & SEPST are talked about the most. There are many others like the Gen 4 mentioned. Not many of us will tune with 2 or 3 different ones on the same bike, so opinions will center on the one we actually use. The best one for you is the one that you end up with. I use one of the first three.
-Sepst is HD and the dealers tech should know it well, there is no user support except on forums
-TTS & power vision is supported on forums and by the manufacturers
1Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Gen4

Quote:
Originally Posted by msocko3 View Post
You claim you ran a 15 afr and it wasn't lean.

I said IT didn't run HOT at that lean setting of 15...

That is the purpose of the gen4, getting good Cruise mileage.
You can set it lean on YOUR bike and try for mileage.

Go read about it as they pay to have their product on this forum...

edit to Added link:
http://www.dobeckperformance.com/GEN...technology.asp

Lean and Running too lean are Not the same.

signed....BUBBIE

Added:
Never was it running TOO lean at 15 AFR

Last edited by BUBBIE; 12-03-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Take a Look at this one I posted with Dobeck

Quote:
Did I see this right? You readjusted your AFR to a 15 on cruise to get 50mpg. That seems to be pretty lean,versus 14.7, but it ran cool and had plenty of power. I'm not very knowledgeable on FI but am learning.Slowly at my age(lol).
YES,,,, I would Not say it this way IF it weren't true....

I could Hardly believe it my self.

I talked with Mark Dobeck, a lot of LEARNING, so I figured I'd give it a try to get MORE fuel mileage. Going up on the AFR (leaner) I was happy with 45/47 at 14AFR.... I had been keeping it at 13.5 THINKING the same way You did....... OVER HEAT...

Over Heat was Not there at 14 so why not try 15?

MAN the proof is in the trip and mileage I got and I KNOW what over heat is on the bike.IT WAS Not There...

The HEAT at cruise is Mostly controlled by the air flow, making the bike Lean AT cruise and WHEN I WANT is the key.

It takes me (on the fly) TWO seconds to move the yellow AFR back to 14 or any setting I CHOOSE BUT it was NOT needed To change to the lower setting....(86* out) Kept it at 15 AFR for the whole trip.....

My setting of 13 / 13.5 AFR on the green pot keeps it Cool around town and at Slow speeds.
ON the road at cruise (air flow cooled) and 14 running cool at Cruise and now tried 15 AFR at Cruise and getting the 50 mpg. and Still running COOL.....WOW......

The red pot I set at the Recommended "SAE" setting, running @ 12.5 (rich) Is for the Twist Throttle and GO and I mean GO....

I know of NO other tuner that will afford you the tune capibilities of this Gen 4... AND NO DYNO NEEDED...

I'm NOT into TTS or the HD tuners BECAUSE of the too complicated way to set them up. I can and DO tune the Gen4 on my bike by the seat of My pants.... Many adjustments tried and NOW the 15 AFR

I Only tried this 15 AFR when it was cool out 86* here in Az.

Now WHEN 105* I was happy with 13.5 to 14. getting 42 to 46 mpg when REALLY HOT out.

I don't know what the bike would act like IF 15 AFR on a 105* day? I do think it would be NO different as long it was under Cruise and Not bogged down in stop n go traffic.
Hence; my 13.0 setting on pot one (or what ever I Want) takes care of heat then..

YOU can set the Gen 4 to ANY setting you (YOU) want and feel the results in the seat of your pants.....(pants for performance AND Thicker Wallet in the fuel savgs.)

So when I say it WORKS,,,,,, Believe me, It Works.

signed....BUBBIE

NOW PLEASE Don't Laugh at this Post......... BUBBIE

Last edited by BUBBIE; 12-02-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement