V-Twin Forum banner

Need help with choosing a new tuner

8K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  ultra103 
#1 ·
I ride a 08 Ultra Classic, big sucker ac, V&H Monster ovals, stock exhaust header, V&H Fuelpak which doesn't do what I need it to do. In the spring going to install Andrews 48H or S&S 551 cams. I need advice in picking a good tuner this time without breaking back. Has anyone used TFI Dobeck GEN-$ tuner? Need help. Thanks

#11 ·
@gree:

I am running a Fuel-Pack on my Harley and for me it works great, however that is not the case with my Aprilia, for that bike I am running the Power Commander III with a custom tune, I have the ability to modify many more parameters that I can with the VH unit, save the money and get the bike tuned, two hours on a dyno should work.

#5 ·
I don't know about the TFI Debock GEN-4 but if you don't have a fundamental understanding of tuning, a fair amount of experience and the tools needed to measure the results, stop now. You might get lucky and end up with a decent running machine or maybe not. Before doing those types of mods I highly recommend a sound solution for tuning. Without that I would not proceed.

#6 ·
Please save yourself cash and issues .
Check out the Power Vision from Dynojet. But consider buying for FuelMoto they are pro's and if you buy it from them they give you free tech support and Maps they will even customize your map. It is a true tuner you can have many maps at hand change them in a flash.
It is leaps and bounds ahead of the old PCV from the same company.

#8 · (Edited)
Dobeck TFI,Gen3 and Gen4

I just Finished a long BETA for Dobeck on their Gen 4.

I see they are sponsors here so I guess I can answer and tell you MY experiences with the new Gen 4.
I have done BETA testing of their product FROM when I did not like it , but the Idea was good,,, to I WOULD NOT BE WITHOUT IT.
This is using the latest Gen 4 supplied by Dobecks for my BETA of their NOW Fine product.

The Dobeck Gen 4 is perfected right now.... Check out that unit.

You can adjust the fuel in 3 modes and get power when cracking the throttle,while not running Lean...

Cruising, you can set the yellow AFR leaning it out to get GREAT fuel mileage...

I got 50 miles per gallon on a long two day travel, mostly doing 65/68 mile pr-hour on two lane roads from lower Az. into N M, over the last two days of running, I could NOT believe the Mileage...

My 09 FLHR King, stage one plus SE255 cams, running cool and setting the AFR on the cruise from 14 (getting 45-46 mpg) to 15 on this cruise, giving me the 50 mile per gallon. At NO TIME did I lack Power NOR run too lean or Hot.

Cracking the throttle at any time,,,, I have it set to run at 12.5 AFR and does it MOVE...

Man,,, AM I HAPPY with this unit.

I have been doing BETA for the Dobeck Co. on the Gen 4 unit. Many Changes have made it work Properly on my bike....(and Now Yours)

They Have FINALLY Hit a Home Run with this Gen 4 In My Book.

Check it out and IF you order, Don't forget the (edit) discount...

Phone orders only will recieve the Discount.

877-764-3337
406-388-2377

Tell them BUBBIE sent you...Cause he was HAPPY and Pleased with the Gen4.....

signed....BUBBIE

The above was written on a Dobeck site so I gave it to you here.

Even though they are a sponser here, I get Nothing from the Dobeck people.. Maybe a Big Steak or TWO IF I can ever find Mark Dobeck the owner.:redrolf:

More information from me IF you want to ask me....

signed....BUBBIE

Edit for spelling

#12 ·
My 09 FLHR King, stage one plus SE255 cams, running cool and setting the AFR on the cruise from 14 (getting 45-46 mpg) to 15 on this cruise, giving me the 50 mile per gallon. At NO TIME did I lack Power NOR run too lean or Hot.

Cracking the throttle at any time,,,, I have it set to run at 12.5 AFR and does it MOVE...
You claim you ran a 15 afr and it wasn't lean:redrolf:.

#14 · (Edited)
Gen4

I said IT didn't run HOT at that lean setting of 15...

That is the purpose of the gen4, getting good Cruise mileage.
You can set it lean on YOUR bike and try for mileage.

Go read about it as they pay to have their product on this forum...

edit to Added link:
http://www.dobeckperformance.com/GEN4/Gen4technology.asp

Lean and Running too lean are Not the same.:dh:

signed....BUBBIE

Added:
Never was it running TOO lean at 15 AFR

#16 ·
I said IT didn't run HOT at that lean setting of 15...

That is the purpose of the gen4, getting good Cruise mileage.
You can set it lean on YOUR bike and try for mileage.

Go read about it as they pay to have their product on this forum...

Lean and Running too lean are Not the same.:dh:

signed....BUBBIE

Added:
Never was it running TOO lean at 15 AFR
Not familier with this Gen4, is there WEB SITE ON THIS SYSTEM ?? Thanks

#10 ·
#13 ·
across the forums Power Vision, TTS & SEPST are talked about the most. There are many others like the Gen 4 mentioned. Not many of us will tune with 2 or 3 different ones on the same bike, so opinions will center on the one we actually use. The best one for you is the one that you end up with. I use one of the first three.
-Sepst is HD and the dealers tech should know it well, there is no user support except on forums
-TTS & power vision is supported on forums and by the manufacturers

#15 · (Edited)
Take a Look at this one I posted with Dobeck

Quote:
Did I see this right? You readjusted your AFR to a 15 on cruise to get 50mpg. That seems to be pretty lean,versus 14.7, but it ran cool and had plenty of power. I'm not very knowledgeable on FI but am learning.Slowly at my age(lol).
YES,,,, I would Not say it this way IF it weren't true....

I could Hardly believe it my self.

I talked with Mark Dobeck, a lot of LEARNING, so I figured I'd give it a try to get MORE fuel mileage. Going up on the AFR (leaner) I was happy with 45/47 at 14AFR.... I had been keeping it at 13.5 THINKING the same way You did....... OVER HEAT...

Over Heat was Not there at 14 so why not try 15?

MAN the proof is in the trip and mileage I got and I KNOW what over heat is on the bike.IT WAS Not There...

The HEAT at cruise is Mostly controlled by the air flow, making the bike Lean AT cruise and WHEN I WANT is the key.

It takes me (on the fly) TWO seconds to move the yellow AFR back to 14 or any setting I CHOOSE BUT it was NOT needed To change to the lower setting....(86* out) Kept it at 15 AFR for the whole trip.....

My setting of 13 / 13.5 AFR on the green pot keeps it Cool around town and at Slow speeds.
ON the road at cruise (air flow cooled) and 14 running cool at Cruise and now tried 15 AFR at Cruise and getting the 50 mpg. and Still running COOL.....WOW......

The red pot I set at the Recommended "SAE" setting, running @ 12.5 (rich) Is for the Twist Throttle and GO and I mean GO....

I know of NO other tuner that will afford you the tune capibilities of this Gen 4... AND NO DYNO NEEDED...

I'm NOT into TTS or the HD tuners BECAUSE of the too complicated way to set them up. I can and DO tune the Gen4 on my bike by the seat of My pants.... Many adjustments tried and NOW the 15 AFR

I Only tried this 15 AFR when it was cool out 86* here in Az.

Now WHEN 105* I was happy with 13.5 to 14. getting 42 to 46 mpg when REALLY HOT out.

I don't know what the bike would act like IF 15 AFR on a 105* day? I do think it would be NO different as long it was under Cruise and Not bogged down in stop n go traffic.
Hence; my 13.0 setting on pot one (or what ever I Want) takes care of heat then..

YOU can set the Gen 4 to ANY setting you (YOU) want and feel the results in the seat of your pants.....(pants for performance AND Thicker Wallet in the fuel savgs.)

So when I say it WORKS,,,,,, Believe me, It Works.

signed....BUBBIE

NOW PLEASE Don't Laugh at this Post......... BUBBIE

#17 ·
When all is said and done...take a close look at TTS and Fullsac.com
I am going with with their headpipe but will take it to Doc's Performance Tuning in Fl for the TTS and tuning...

#18 ·
If you can read and have a decent laptop take a good look at the TTS,very easy to ride and tune with IMO. High quality and you can usually buy one for 425.-450.

#22 ·
Hey guys thanks for all the great info. Decided on the PowerVision for tuner, decided on Andrews 48H cams. Looking at either SE adjustable rods or FuelMoto adjustables. I know SE had nut breakage problems & loosening off problems, they say new ones are good.What about FuelMoto's, anyone use them. The bike has 30,000 km or 22,000 miles should I change the lifters as well. Thanks again

#23 ·
I would change the lifters with that mileage. I had some SE adjustables a few years ago and they were crap. Don't know if the design has changed or not. Don't know anything about FuelMotos rods. I used Baisley rods for my last build. http://www.baisley.com/twin_cam_pushrods_product.htm

#24 ·
I have used SE slender tapers for years and in many different bikes (mine and others).
I and they did not have any problems with any of them.

Not even when they? Said "cracking lock nuts" Not on mine.

I think a lot of problem is on the Installer,,,Not the product.

signed....BUBBIE

#25 ·
We recommend the Dynojet Power Vision, not just because we sell it in our catalog, but because we have created and are creating new tune files everyday. We are creating tune files that work with our cams, intakes, exhaust, big bore, and head kits. Tune files are free and we also offer the best free tech advice in the industry!

Check out

http://www.sscycle.com/software/power-vision/

we are updating this all the time with new files.

Thanks

#27 ·
I have used Scream Eagle quick install adjustable pushrods on 2 bikes with no issues!

I run the PCV with Auto-Tune and love it! Great product and great tech support!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.