Terminal Velocity 3 - A layman's review : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Fuel Systems > EFI Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Sasquach wants to know Dino or Syn?
Terminal Velocity 3 - A layman's review

In case anybody is interested, I have some feedback regarding the terminal Velocity III I installed on my new (to me) 07 Road Glide.

So far, the TV3 seems to be performing as advertised. It handled the modifications without any decel popping, backfiring or other odd behavior. It also ran MUCH cooler!! (And we all know the 07"s could use some cooling down.)

The other mods included V&H Dresser Duals, HD Touring Mufflers and a HD SE Air cleaner. These add-ons helped performance a lot. The TV3 just kept it cool in doing so.

Just my humble opinion.

I'll chime in occasionally with updates.

"Computers save time and money"
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Went out for a couple hundred miles a few days ago, in the suburbs and the country, and again had no rideability problems.

I did notice something odd at one point which was, after restarting the engine within a minute of shutting off, the idle ran very fast-about 2k rpm-and would not idle down. I had to shut it off, let it sit for three or four minutes before restarting it again. It worked flawlessly after that. I rode a bit more and tried a couple more times to make it fast-idle again but it wouldn't.

I don't know if I'd attribute that odd-ness to the TV3. If it does it again I'll ping Keith T. Maybe he has some insight to this behavior.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Went out again yesterday for about another 150 miles. The air temp was 41 when I left and 52 when I got back. In this cool weather, the TV3 is still performing flawlessly.

What I really notice is absolutely no popping! No decel-popping, no poping while shifting, just no popping. I'm beginning to think that the lack of popping is strange because I'm so used to it with the PC3 on the old 04 RKC, nevertheless, I like it not popping.

I'm also impressed with the added acceleration. I few short seconds after taking off, I looked at the speedo and I'm doing 90. (and that fish was THIS BIG) really though, It pulls like a mutha... I think the V&H dresser duals and the SE Air cleaner have a lot to do with it, but when I test-ran it before installing the TV3, it didn't run this good.

The Fast-Idle problem I reported happening one time before never reared it's ugly head again. Had to be a fluke.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

The "fast idle" problem I mentioned earlier resurfaced again, and this time in front of my local Harley dealer and in full view of the dealer service writer.

It was actually sort of embarrassing in that a whole bunch of other folks standing around in the parking lot, all turned and looked my way when it happened. I'm not sure if they were looking at the bike that suddenly went idling at 2500 rpm, or at the 6'5, 260lb man swearing and cursing the bike idiling at 2500 rpm-but they were sure looking.

After getting the bike and the man (that would be "me" if you all haven't figured it out yet) calmed down, the service writer mentioned that the "fix" for the fast idle problem is an ECM re-flash. Apparently, the dealers all know about the fast idle problem and uploading the firmware to the ECM fixes it.

Oh, by the way, the service writer said that the Terry's Terminal Velocity 3 likely has nothing to do with the idle problem. As far as I'm concerned, the TV3 is still solid.

So, tomorrow morning I'm showing up at the dealer to have them do their voodoo to the ECM. If this works, it may be the answer for some of you others out there who suffer from this sometimes embarrassing condition. If it doesn't work, I'm out $35 bucks and am wiser for knowing the service writer is, well, full of it.

Last edited by Sasquach; 05-01-2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: additional info...
Old 05-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

I was in and out of the service department in about an hour. They flashed the ECM from version 32903-07D to 32903-07E. This update, I'm told, was to address some vibration issues. Ok, I can see that, but will it fix the idle?

Well, after a 100 mile trip around the suburbs and countryside of western chicagoland, I notice no difference. The fast idle "fluke" I mentioned earlier, isn't a fluke at all. It does happen every once in a while.

Next: I plan to bypass the TV3 and see if it still does it.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

rob71458 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If this symptom only happens after a hot restart, I believe your problem is a fuel enrichment issue, which has nothing to do with the TV3. It should have been addressed by the dealer. The TVIII only becomes activated after the engine runs for approximately two minutes, which I believe is about the time it takes for your idle to return to normal. Call their tech. line and they can explain it better.
rob71458 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2009, 07:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Rob, I believe I'll do just that. Good advice.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well, The summer is almost over and I have been riding with the TV3 fairly successfully ( or so I thought) until last week.

Mrs. Sasquach and I took a long weekend trip from Illinois to Ohio for some big foot family activity and on the trip back had a small problem. I noticed the bike was running poorly as if it were starving for fuel. I tested this by bypassing the TV3 and noticed there was no difference in performance with, or without the unit on line. the TV3 simply quit working. After getting back home and removing the unit did I discover that a wire on the TPS connector had broken off inside the connector. The TV3 unit will probably still function correctly with this wire fixed but I'm not going to fart around with it. I'm just going to get a ThunderMax and be done with the piggy-back unit bull$#!~.

Anybody want to buy a TV3.... cheap? You'll need to get a new wiring harnes from Terry's Components.

:-)

Old 04-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

jpandoliano wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your comments are helping me with my decision to get a TV3. Just what I may be looking for. On my 2008 Road King I added Vance and Hines Monster Rounds, a Stage 1 Fileter and am using the Vance and Hines FuelPak. It runs great, still has fuel economy on the road and the sound is just right. Even my wife likes it..... Excess decel popping gets on my nerves, so I am looking into the TV3. Price is right. Being in Korea it's hard to make these decisions, but I think I will go with the TV3 and use the FuelPak for backup if something goes wrong.
This will take place Mid May, so I will let you know.
jpandoliano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

brwk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Did you notice that the last post was from 9-13-2009? I would re-think your decision (IMHO).
Old 06-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

monkeyboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Another case of the search feature working and the results paid off.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

FXSTaCy wants to know Dino or Syn?
In my 'search' for cams, I almost replied to a 2yr old thread.

Back to the TV3, I've had it for over a year and wouldn't recommend it. I've had random high idle issues, stubborn starts, and occasional valve ping (yes, I use premium). Terry seems to be a very nice guy. I contacted him after the install with these issues and he mailed out a wire that was connected into the TV 3 harness and battery to possibly resolve these problems. It didn't.

I'm now getting either the PC3 or 5 per my local dyno tuners recommendation. Just happens he likes Dynojet and I trust him because he does well with the PC 3 on my Hayabusa.

You may want to check with your local tuner for advice and preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.