Something you all should know about Dynos : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Dyno Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

S&S Cycle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lightbulb Something you all should know about Dynos

Make sure you look at the Correction factor on "Claimed" HP/TQ numbers on Dyno charts. There are two different correction factors used for correcting altitude and air temp when doing dyno runs.

In the upper right hand corner you will see "STD" or "SAE" which are the two most common. When comparing numbers these need to be the same. STD will read about 4% higher than SAE because of the correction

SAE: "SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), USA. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.23 InHg (99 kPa) of dry air and 77 F (25C). This SAE standard requires a correction for friction torque.

STD is Another power correction standard determined by the SAE. Power is corrected to reference conditions of 29.92 InHg (103.3 kPa) of dry air and 60 F (15.5C). Because the reference conditions include higher pressure and cooler air than the SAE standard, these corrected power numbers will always be about 4 % higher than the SAE power numbers. Friction torque is handled in the same way as in the SAE standard."

If two dyno charts do not have the same correction factor, then you are comparing apples to oranges!!!

Thanks if you have questions just ask!
866-244-2673
S&S Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Merc63 wants to know Dino or Syn?
What's DIN?
Merc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
What's DIN?
DIN ...German Institute for Standardization is the German national organization for standardization
And there are several other correction factors.
SAE STD just happens to be the most used in the states.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

S&S Cycle wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
DIN ...German Institute for Standardization is the German national organization for standardization
And there are several other correction factors.
SAE STD just happens to be the most used in the states.
Yes there are a few other correction factors, I just listed the two most commonly used here in the USA, Most magizines and parts manufacturers use the STD method, because of the inflated numbers. At S&S we publish only SAE numbers.
866-244-2673
S&S Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Iron Butt

Bronxhog wants to know Dino or Syn?
thank you and keep the information coming
Bronxhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Axe Man

BVBOB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S Cycle View Post
Yes there are a few other correction factors, I just listed the two most commonly used here in the USA, Most magizines and parts manufacturers use the STD method, because of the inflated numbers. At S&S we publish only SAE numbers.
And you will note in the above sticky that we only accept SAE dyno reports here. STD or others are ok if accompanied by the SAE report.
Numbers are just numbers no matter what the report, I'm guessing the Superflows in La Crosse didn't read anything near what the Dynojet at Viola will on the same bike either. The Superflow at least uses a calibrated torque link and can give a realistic reading while the dynojet is strictly(unless further equipped) an inertia dyno.
553 bd cams
Power duals with re-core cvo
Welded crank

1982 FXRS
new paint
new tires
new brakes
new clutch
Soon to be back on the road

Being honest may not make you a lot of friends but it will always make you the right ones.
BVBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Outsider

Half_crazy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S Cycle View Post
STD will read about 4% higher than SAE
The difference on my charts between SAE and STD is 2.25% on the same pull.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

INDEPENDENT 1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Welcome to the forum, S&S. I love your products and my Factory Pro dyno.
INDEPENDENT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
FNG :)

qwiteklever wants to know Dino or Syn?
just had dyno on 12 deluxe, stock 103ci, se stage 1 hi flo kit, kn air filter and v&h hs slip ons. final run with sae factor of 3....max power 75.09 , max torque 96.15. just bought rinehart exhaust and will have a retest in spring.
qwiteklever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

porksword wants to know Dino or Syn?
Depends on your altitude ! I have spent 1000s hours on dynojet 250 I , and I am at 5400 elevation , and STD - SAE are about the same. Sometimes SAE will show 1/2 hp. more. I always use SAE , maybe someone knows why. One thing you DONT want to use is , 'uncorrected' !!! LOL.. If you pull 100 hp. SAE , you will be lucky to get 85 uncorrected. You will ALWAYS see 1-3 more TQ. on the dyno after it warms up , 200+ degree , from the first , cold pull. Stench
porksword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by porksword View Post
Depends on your altitude ! I have spent 1000s hours on dynojet 250 I , and I am at 5400 elevation , and STD - SAE are about the same. Sometimes SAE will show 1/2 hp. more. I always use SAE , maybe someone knows why. One thing you DONT want to use is , 'uncorrected' !!! LOL.. If you pull 100 hp. SAE , you will be lucky to get 85 uncorrected. You will ALWAYS see 1-3 more TQ. on the dyno after it warms up , 200+ degree , from the first , cold pull. Stench
depends on the conditions.
uncorrected is always 1.0 correction factor or no correction factor.(thats why its called uncorrected)
if your sae or std correction factor is less than 1.0 ( like 0.99) the uncorrected will be higher.if the sae or std correction factor is 1.01 or larger then uncorrected will be lower.
so to say uncorrected is always higher isnt correct. I see it swing both ways here. that why its called a correction factor.

Quote:
just had dyno on 12 deluxe, stock 103ci, se stage 1 hi flo kit, kn air filter and v&h hs slip ons. final run with sae factor of 3....max power 75.09 , max torque 96.15. just bought rinehart exhaust and will have a retest in spring.
there is no sae c/f of 3
3 is the smoothing of the curves
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
depends on the conditions.
uncorrected is always 1.0 correction factor or no correction factor.(thats why its called uncorrected)
if your sae or std correction factor is less than 1.0 ( like 0.99) the uncorrected will be higher.if the sae or std correction factor is 1.01 or larger then uncorrected will be lower.
so to say uncorrected is always higher isnt correct. I see it swing both ways here. that why its called a correction factor.

there is no sae c/f of 3
3 is the smoothing of the curves
Never knew those rascals swing both ways!!

Back to programming - so then, is "Actual" just the uncorrected?
S&S stuff.
Baisley Pro Street heads
+ Level 2 Mojo.
Badass pipe.
Torq Monster Motorworks
spec'd & built, extra "Special Sauce."
142HP - 148TQ SAE / 145/151 STD. More there.
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Olivepearl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ok I pulled 3 sheets from two tuners in two different states both here in the Deep South. 1st is the 120R 2nd is a 117, 3rd 117
120R
70.44 F
24.62 in-hg
SAE 1.22 humidity 7%
SAE smoothing 5
HP 145.95
TQ 140.15

92.35 F
30.04 in-hg
STD 1.02 humidity 18%
STD smoothing 5
HP 138.39
TQ 143.05

64.72 F
30.07 in-hg
uncorrected 1.00 humidity 12%
HP 155.61
TQ 143.48

Explain the Differences and if One is better to produce the Bigger Numbers. As you can see the 120R correction is 1.22 SAE and the 117 is STD 1.02 are they both boosting the numbers doing it this way?

Thanks RT

Last edited by Olivepearl; 08-31-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Olivepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
FNG :)

Ollies930 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I find it difficult to trust a correction factor of 1.22 with a barometric pressure reading that would be more suited to Denver rather than a southern state. Society of Automotive Engineers states that anything over 7% correction factor becomes inaccurate. 22% correction factor is way away from realistic.
As for boosting numbers, anytime the correction factor is above 1.00, the numbers will be higher than the actual hp/tq produced and if the correction factor is below 1.00, the numbers shown will be lower than the actual hp/tq produced.
To be able to compare engines to each other, it would be best to run them under similar conditions on the same dyno. Different duno manufacturers are using different math and software to arrive at the way they read hp. Some dynos read higher, some lower. No one is better than the rest (even though they may try to convince you otherwise), they are simply a tuning tool and even though manufacturers are trying to correct the output to be able to be compared from location to location, things as simple as a dyno room fan can ultimately mess with your numbers.
Ollies930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Olivepearl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ollies good catch, I want to make a correction myself...(pardon the pun) the correction factor I listed at 1.22 was at High Altitude and now they are at or near sea level. My bad I do apologize. In this case it would be comparing apples to oranges. Now back to our regular scheduled programming!!
Olivepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement